Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why is it a joke? Orange is now a free agent free to go to the highest bidder. Teams have also been releasing players to pursue NFL opportunities, knowing those players will be free agents upon returning to the CFL, despite not technically being under any obligation to do so, so this works both ways. Veterans on big contracts being asked to take paycuts or getting outright released after sub-par seasons is part of the business, and everyone knows this (or should) when they sign on the dotted line.

I am not that concerned about Orange per say...just the salary structure of the CFL in general.
When you sign a contract for a Value Village price (because of the League structure) its strikes me as a little bush League to then go back to the player under contract and ask him to take a pay cut.

What was his salary?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I am not that concerned about Orange per say...just the salary structure of the CFL in general.
When you sign a contract for a Value Village price (because of the League structure) its strikes me as a little bush League to then go back to the player under contract and ask him to take a pay cut.

What was his salary?

Agree that is seems cheap to ask a player for a salary reduction, but understand in a league without guaranteed contracts, that there is a give and take on both sides, like letting the players go early to the NHL. Most of these guys are on very cheap deals though, and usual short term deals (2 years), so instead of asking a guy to take a pay cut, if you don''t think he's good enough for the salary you agreed on just a year ago, then cut him loose, and do it within a month after the season is over. Organization doesn't come across as cheapskates, and that won't hurt attracting future free agents, and player has lots of time to find a new team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agree that is seems cheap to ask a player for a salary reduction, but understand in a league without guaranteed contracts, that there is a give and take on both sides, like letting the players go early to the NHL. Most of these guys are on very cheap deals though, and usual short term deals (2 years), so instead of asking a guy to take a pay cut, if you don''t think he's good enough for the salary you agreed on just a year ago, then cut him loose, and do it within a month after the season is over. Organization doesn't come across as cheapskates, and that won't hurt attracting future free agents, and player has lots of time to find a new team.

I completely agree wit the bolded. The team has to be more professional in these situations.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Slightly OT...but...is it a bad thing that I miss those greasy CFL transaction scoops from MoneyGuy?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Why is it a joke? Orange is now a free agent free to go to the highest bidder. Teams have also been releasing players to pursue NFL opportunities, knowing those players will be free agents upon returning to the CFL, despite not technically being under any obligation to do so, so this works both ways. Veterans on big contracts being asked to take paycuts or getting outright released after sub-par seasons is part of the business, and everyone knows this (or should) when they sign on the dotted line.

I think the issue was performance versus salary.

I don't know what salary he was making but the fact that he was signed as a fairly high profile free agent the year before meant that it was decent bucks.

When he returned from injury the D-backfield seemed to get more porous and he was being beaten by the long ball fairly often. He was getting faked out on those stop and go patterns which is a no-no for veterans. Perhaps he was still injured, hard to say in an era where injuries are considered a state secret.

So yes, it wasn't pretty but he was asked to pay cut and perhaps as other posters have suggested he should have been given his outright release in December. That would have looked more decisive. Maybe they thought he would have a bounce back year so they hedged their bets.

Sunderland has to make the D-backfield a priority in the off season. It's been the club's biggest weakness for the better part of a decade. You can't give up 400-500 passing yards on a consistent basis and expect many grey cups. Strange because for many years one of the hallmarks of the EE was their ability to recruit ball hawks.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
moneyguy doesn't post anymore? I didn't know that

There was a lot of justification for being upset at Maas and the organization.
IIRC he didnt like some of the anti Maas/Eskimo organization posts so he left.

Seems like a rather lame reason but c'est la vie.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Sunderland is gonna have to rebuild the whole defense again. Larry Dean most likely moving on too.
At least the defensive line is intact and it looks like it could be the best in the CFL. We can start Boateng, Bazzie, Moore, and Sewell and still have Ceresna, Betts, and Charles coming off the bench. I was actually shocked we signed Moore with Ceresna and Charles already on the roster.

I hope Charles gets an opportunity this year - he could be a ratio breaker at DT, and at 31, he doesn't have a lot of years left. By the end of the season, we could legitimately be starting three Canadians on the defensive line.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
At least the defensive line is intact and it looks like it could be the best in the CFL. We can start Boateng, Bazzie, Moore, and Sewell and still have Ceresna, Betts, and Charles coming off the bench. I was actually shocked we signed Moore with Ceresna and Charles already on the roster.

I hope Charles gets an opportunity this year - he could be a ratio breaker at DT, and at 31, he doesn't have a lot of years left. By the end of the season, we could legitimately be starting three Canadians on the defensive line.

Isn’t Bazzie a FA?

The defensive backfield is still the issue.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Isn’t Bazzie a FA?

The defensive backfield is still the issue.
Ahh, he totally is. With Usher gone to the NFL, they might need to look at another defensive end unless the plan is to start Betts or one of the new signings. There was also some talk that Moore could move out to defensive end - Boateng-Sewell-Ceresna-Moore could be insane. Lots of size there!

The defensive backfield is definitely the issue though. We need at least two legit starting DB's and I'd love to see a good safety for the first time in a while. I'm still hoping we bring back Josh Johnson as he was solid.

I also really liked Brian Walker at times and he could potentially slide in to Unanba's spot at linebacker. He's only 24 years old and has two full CFL seasons under his belt - I think he could turn into a stud with some more experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ahh, he totally is. With Usher gone to the NFL, they might need to look at another defensive end unless the plan is to start Betts or one of the new signings. There was also some talk that Moore could move out to defensive end - Boateng-Sewell-Ceresna-Moore could be insane. Lots of size there!

The defensive backfield is definitely the issue though. We need at least two legit starting DB's and I'd love to see a good safety for the first time in a while. I'm still hoping we bring back Josh Johnson as he was solid.

I also really liked Brian Walker at times and he could potentially slide in to Unanba's spot at linebacker. He's only 24 years old and has two full CFL seasons under his belt - I think he could turn into a stud with some more experience.

They need two linebackers, a safety, and at least two DBs. Sunderland is in tough.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

What was his salary?

I'm not sure exactly what his salary was, but he was a pretty prominent free agent coming off an all-star season. Certainly not on a "Value Village" contract. Six figures at a minimum, maybe closer to $150K?

This stuff happens before free agency every year. Montreal just cut a whole wack of guys who were due a roster bonus if they were to be retained. This is the nature of non-guaranteed contracts in both CFL and NFL. If you want the maximum dollar amount that you can command on a multi-year deal, this is the risk you run in a salary cap setting. Only so much $ to go around, and if you're getting more of it than you're worth, you end up on the chopping block. Sounds ruthless, but nobody's forcing anyone to play football for a living.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The emergence of Diggs (assuming he is coming back) made someone expendable at the LB spot.

Our 2019 free agents at those positions were underwhelming.

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not sure exactly what his salary was, but he was a pretty prominent free agent coming off an all-star season. Certainly not on a "Value Village" contract. Six figures at a minimum, maybe closer to $150K?

This stuff happens before free agency every year. Montreal just cut a whole wack of guys who were due a roster bonus if they were to be retained. This is the nature of non-guaranteed contracts in both CFL and NFL. If you want the maximum dollar amount that you can command on a multi-year deal, this is the risk you run in a salary cap setting. Only so much $ to go around, and if you're getting more of it than you're worth, you end up on the chopping block. Sounds ruthless, but nobody's forcing anyone to play football for a living.

I totally understand the cap reality of the CFL and the non guaranteed contracts.
I thought that Orange was close to minimum in terms of his contract which it appears that I was wrong about.
I also thought that the team could have released him 2 - 3 months ago.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, free agency is upon us and the pickings seem fairly slim.

The 2 guys the EE should go after would be (1) Brescacin as a Canadian receiver (will probably stay in Calgary?) and (2) Patrick Levels as a starting outside linebacker.

The most numerous free agents seem to be on the defensive line but that's the one area where the Esks don't need much help.

Sounds like Walker is headed for B.C. and Jefferson will stay in Winnipeg so the 2 biggest fish aren't heading for Commonwealth Stadium.

Daniels likely gone from the Esks and I would guess Colq too. Both good players but so many injuries.

Virtually no top quality D-backs in the free agent pool?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I guess Mincy used to play for Noel Thorpe so it makes sense that he would follow him here.

Mincy is only 27 and has already had his "NFL stint" so he could be here for a while.

I hope Johnson re-signs as well because that will give us 2 quality D-backs to build around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad