Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We could always become Lion’s fans! I’m out here already so it wouldn’t be that hard, Canucks are looking pretty good too!
I'll never switch. All that is going to happen is I'm going to spend more time trying to enjoy our summers which are usually good.

Come September I'll just spend more time on the NFL and maybe get into NCAA.

On a complete side note, why doesn't the CFL know it's salary cap yet? Was reading teams aren't sure what its going to be and they don't know how much to give to higher end free agents. Seems stupid that here we are damn near 3 months from the Grey Cup and we don't know the cap.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
On a complete side note, why doesn't the CFL know it's salary cap yet? Was reading teams aren't sure what its going to be and they don't know how much to give to higher end free agents. Seems stupid that here we are damn near 3 months from the Grey Cup and we don't know the cap.

I think it is because they don't have a CBA for next season and the current one expires on May 15.

Edit - it would be hilarious if the league has a lockout. I'm not sure they could survive as fans may find there are more fun things to do in the summer than watch the CFL.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The bright sides I can see to this whole nightmare:
  • the team will have to stop relying on the late 4th quarter heroics of Reilly, so hopefully the team plays engaged knowing they need to fight all game to win.
  • this will truly show what Maas and BS are made of as they don't have the Reilly get out of jail card.

The bad news (other than the obvious):
  • Rhodes now has his built in excuse for declining attendance as it's a guarantee now with it being one year post grey cup hosting and losing your MVP.
  • If Maas and BS don't make this team competitive they may be let off the hook for a poor season taking us a year further down what may be the wrong path.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The bright sides I can see to this whole nightmare:
  • the team will have to stop relying on the late 4th quarter heroics of Reilly, so hopefully the team plays engaged knowing they need to fight all game to win.
  • this will truly show what Maas and BS are made of as they don't have the Reilly get out of jail card.

The bad news (other than the obvious):
  • Rhodes now has his built in excuse for declining attendance as it's a guarantee now with it being one year post grey cup hosting and losing your MVP.
  • If Maas and BS don't make this team competitive they may be let off the hook for a poor season taking us a year further down what may be the wrong path.
I don't get the bad news to be honest.

Rhodes has currently been pulling the wool over the BOG eyes by showing profit via Grey Cup. Without that and a declining attendance that will mean less money being made which should result in Rhodes being fired or at least put on notice.

I don't know how Maas and BS would be let off the hook either. This is a league where it doesn't take 5 years to rebuild. If you have the right people you can rebuild and be competitive in 2-3 years.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Gee, I wonder if some of the EE players were rather "unconvinced" with the coaching abilities of Mr. Maas but just didn't make any public statements regarding his 2 major miscues in the last 2 seasons? Who would have guessed that the players had some opinions on this as well?

I was afraid that Walker might also fly the coop.

Well, the good news for the guys on the thread is that if you have ever dreamed of being a CFL player then there will be lots of room for auditions down at the igloo. Bring your friends too.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
He was fired right? They make it sound like he quit.

Like Chiarelli he sewered the franchise right before he left as a parting gift to the city of Edmonton.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Len Rhodes out

tenor.gif

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He was fired right? They make it sound like he quit.

Like Chiarelli he sewered the franchise right before he left as a parting gift to the city of Edmonton.

The traditional soft landing for an executive. There were some rumors of the sort before the Grey Cup that something like this would happen, but I'm surprised how long it took to happen.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The traditional soft landing for an executive. There were some rumors of the sort before the Grey Cup that something like this would happen, but I'm surprised how long it took to happen.
So instead of getting things done back then. It was decided to play itself out, allowing current GM and coach to stick around. Allowing two of our best players to walk.

Not saying we would've been better off or that BS and JM would've been fired, but it sure would've been nice to give the new guy a chance to make that decision.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So instead of getting things done back then. It was decided to play itself out, allowing current GM and coach to stick around. Allowing two of our best players to walk.

Not saying we would've been better off or that BS and JM would've been fired, but it sure would've been nice to give the new guy a chance to make that decision.

Agreed. I understand not doing it in the weeks leading up to the Grey Cup, or possibly even the few weeks after, but this should have been dealt with early January at the latest. I doubt the new person would have rushed to change the GM and coach, but if they find someone quickly, they may have had some input. That said, presidents shouldn't be influencing any decision other than the hiring of a GM so I'm doubtful much would have changed on the GM/coaching front.

If there's any truth to the fact that the players weren't impressed with Rhodes, though, maybe it would have impacted some of the players' decisions (Sherritt, Reilly, etc), but now it may be too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad