Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am pretty sure that this move and the news about Reilly are not mutually exclusive. I am also guessing that as predicted, season ticket renewals are not exactly robust.

They were going to do this at the end of 2018 but left it until now? Whatever for???? Shame on the BOD for having waited until this much damage was done. It will take years to repair the train wreck but that repair job could have started in November.

Now comes the task of a complete rebuild on the offense. Your 4 biggest guns, Reilly, Walker, Williams and Mitchell all gone. That essentially leaves us with an expansion franchise. Maybe the league can take pity on us and hold a dispersal draft.

Anyway, thanks Len, I guess you will "cherish" every moment you spent with the club but I promise we won't.
Especially if we would've had a football mind running the show. Could've had one more guy out scouting.

I wonder if the BOG thought anything of Sheritt going to Cgy

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am pretty sure that this move and the news about Reilly are not mutually exclusive. I am also guessing that as predicted, season ticket renewals are not exactly robust.

They were going to do this at the end of 2018 but left it until now? Whatever for???? Shame on the BOD for having waited until this much damage was done. It will take years to repair the train wreck but that repair job could have started in November.

Now comes the task of a complete rebuild on the offense. Your 4 biggest guns, Reilly, Walker, Williams and Mitchell all gone. That essentially leaves us with an expansion franchise. Maybe the league can take pity on us and hold a dispersal draft.

Anyway, thanks Len, I guess you will "cherish" every moment you spent with the club but I promise we won't.

That stood out for me as well. What exactly was the thought process behind that decision?
IMO the lack of accountability for the BOD is as big a prob;em as Len Rhodes ever was.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
He's getting out of town a day before Reilly leaves.
They fired him into the sun hoping it would change reilly's mind about signing here. Similar to the oilers punting the gm and coach while the season ticket renewals where in the mail...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They fired him into the sun hoping it would change reilly's mind about signing here. Similar to the oilers punting the gm and coach while the season ticket renewals where in the mail...

Too little too late.

The question I have is how can they justify a decision to hire a marketing man with absolutely no football operations experience to run the football operations aspect of the team?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They probably saw the Oilers try do it to boost their ticket sales and thought they'd try the same

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Its unbelievable the recent parallels between the Esks & the Oilers, and how they are run.
Why does God not like the Edmonton pro sports fan.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
BC to win the grey cup is paying 8-1 on most sites. Might be the right time to put some money down as I'm sure those odds will only come down when they officially sign Rielly. Hamilton has similar odds. I could see one of those teams winning it all this year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Its unbelievable the recent parallels between the Esks & the Oilers, and how they are run.
Why does God not like the Edmonton pro sports fan.

The Rapture took all of Edmonton’s good players (and managers) away after 1990.

We’ve all been living in some kind of special sports hell since.

Reactions: rboomercat90

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Thought it was a little gutless of Jamieson to have Rhodes on his show and not ask him about the "winning isn't everything" comment and then to talk about it as soon as he hung up with Rhodes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thought it was a little gutless of Jamieson to have Rhodes on his show and not ask him about the "winning isn't everything" comment and then to talk about it as soon as he hung up with Rhodes.
Rhodes started by talking about cancer, it was a debacle from the start.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Rhodes started by talking about cancer, it was a debacle from the start.
I heard that. Wasn't sure if that was to play the sympathy card or what the deal was.

(for the record, cancer is horrible and he does have my sympathy for that)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

You know, most people in that kind of spot don't have to say anything at all. He's gone and could have ridden off into the sunset never to be heard from again. The fact he was willing to go show up in public one more time, I feel, deserves to be treated respectfully and not as an opportunity to blast him face to face over past mistakes.

I am very happy to see him gone, but I wish him well as a human being despite being disgusted at what he's done to the team over the last few years.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Len will re-surface with another very well paid executive position within 6 months. Trust me, he will do alright. Once you are in that club you are very rarely kicked out.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
You know, most people in that kind of spot don't have to say anything at all. He's gone and could have ridden off into the sunset never to be heard from again. The fact he was willing to go show up in public one more time, I feel, deserves to be treated respectfully and not as an opportunity to blast him face to face over past mistakes.

I am very happy to see him gone, but I wish him well as a human being despite being disgusted at what he's done to the team over the last few years.
If you read my quote, bone, I had issue with Jamieson, not Rhodes.

I thought it was disingenuous to not ask the question about the "winning" quote but then mention it immediately after Rhodes hung up. Just shouldn't have said anything about it at all, or should have asked him about it to give him a chance to explain it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If you read my quote, bone, I had issue with Jamieson, not Rhodes.

I thought it was disingenuous to not ask the question about the "winning" quote but then mention it immediately after Rhodes hung up. Just shouldn't have said anything about it at all, or should have asked him about it to give him a chance to explain it.

Understood, I knew the issue was Jamieson, just thought you meant the other way that he should have asked him. Agree, that he could have probably just kept that out, or at minimum only bring it up in later conversations during open line or something.

I didn't listen yet, so didn't have full context as to exactly when it was brought up, but if it went as you described, I agree.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Understood, I knew the issue was Jamieson, just thought you meant the other way that he should have asked him. Agree, that he could have probably just kept that out, or at minimum only bring it up in later conversations during open line or something.

I didn't listen yet, so didn't have full context as to exactly when it was brought up, but if it went as you described, I agree.
Soon as I heard cancer i quit listening. Jamieson could've been prepared to ask him the hard question, but how do you after that?

It's times like that I wish they had it pre-recorded and just decided not to air the interview.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s actually gonna be quite the indictment on Rhodes if Reilly changes his mind after this announcement.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The thing is though, a bad crowd at Commonwealth is still usually more people than typical crowds in Toronto, BC, Montreal, even Hamilton and Calgary at times. Even if attendance dipped to 20,000 per game (which would be an enormous decrease), that's still better than those first three cities I mentioned. So while it would definitely (hopefully) be a wake up call to the Board of Directors, I don't think it would throw the team into dire straits financially. What a terrible situation. I want to support the league and the team, but can't in good conscience hand more money over to this organization until Rhodes and Maas are completely removed.

An attendance of 20,000 in a 65,000 seat stadium looks infinitely worse though, than the same crowd in a 25,000 seat stadium.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Some much needed good news injected into an Edmonton sports scene that is at rock-bottom levels.

All eyes are now on Sunderland. If Jason Maas is still the head coach of this football team 24 hours after Rhodes officially leaves office, Sunderland can f*** right off with him.

Did anyone hear Rhodes on the radio with Ryan Jespersen on CHED around 11 o'clock? My goodness, if I have ever heard a more arrogant man in my life, I do not recall when. Basically 15 minutes of Rhodes gushing about what a phenomenal job he did here for 7 years, recounting all the glorious things he has done for the franchise, and on and on. Specifically mentioned that the team was over .500 during his tenure here, whereas he inherited a sub-.500 team, blah blah blah. This man would take credit for winning World War II, if only he had been born when it ended.

Whatever. At least he's gone. Now somebody who knows which end of the football to hold can come in a start the unenviable task of cleaning up this smoldering mess, and hopefully it starts with a new head coach. Jason Gregor suggested Sean Fleming would be the perfect fit for the job (President), and I tend to agree. Successful member of the local business community by all accounts, and was part of the organization for many years while Hugh Campbell was in charge. At the very least, he should know how a winning football team is constructed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Would be funny if Kwaku Boateng's agent calls up and wants his clients new contract voided..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Soon as I heard cancer i quit listening. Jamieson could've been prepared to ask him the hard question, but how do you after that?

It's times like that I wish they had it pre-recorded and just decided not to air the interview.
What is with the cancer thing? Did Rhodes say he has it? And if so, why would he wait till now to quit?The optics with Reilly and Walker both being the latest to jump ship, make him look like he's jumping too while the going is good.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Some much needed good news injected into an Edmonton sports scene that is at rock-bottom levels.

All eyes are now on Sunderland. If Jason Maas is still the head coach of this football team 24 hours after Rhodes officially leaves office, Sunderland can **** right off with him.

Did anyone hear Rhodes on the radio with Ryan Jespersen on CHED around 11 o'clock? My goodness, if I have ever heard a more arrogant man in my life, I do not recall when. Basically 15 minutes of Rhodes gushing about what a phenomenal job he did here for 7 years, recounting all the glorious things he has done for the franchise, and on and on. Specifically mentioned that the team was over .500 during his tenure here, whereas he inherited a sub-.500 team, blah blah blah. This man would take credit for winning World War II, if only he had been born when it ended.

Whatever. At least he's gone. Now somebody who knows which end of the football to hold can come in a start the unenviable task of cleaning up this smoldering mess, and hopefully it starts with a new head coach. Jason Gregor suggested Sean Fleming would be the perfect fit for the job (President), and I tend to agree. Successful member of the local business community by all accounts, and was part of the organization for many years while Hugh Campbell was in charge. At the very least, he should know how a winning football team is constructed.

Oh he's arrogant alright. I would take Chia over this guy any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->