Eskimos: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Del Preston, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Del Preston

Del Preston Proctologist

East Final: Hamilton @ Ottawa
    West Final: Winnipeg @ Calgary

2. Cloned

Cloned WoodWoof!

It’s a bad sign when every thread title on the first page of the Oilers board brings with it a sense of sadness and anger, even when it just mentions the team name, lol.

Summary likes this.
  3. iCanada

iCanada Registered User

The esks caught a stroke of luck having the leos and the riders out.

I was hoping that the GC could be the edmonton castaway bowl.

4. Cloned

Cloned WoodWoof!

Well except now it’s either Calgary (ugh) or a team led by ex-Esk Matt Nichols (ugh again).

5. Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl Civilized Worm

I dislike Matt Nichols so much I might slip up and be cheering for Calgary in moments.

meh

I think Calgary takes it despite the Bombers D looking pretty good. Riders D was the worst they looked, I don't think Stamps will have the same issues with the Bombers offense.

Lets remember Bombers barely squeaked by a team playing a QB that had not played much all season. Riders don't have depth at QB. It was the one injury that could really hurt them. Its why they didn't win.

6. bone

bone 5-14-6-1

Home Page:
    I understand the Nichols dislike, but I'm okay with the Bombers making a run as a franchise in the CFL with 0 Grey Cups in 28 years is remarkable. It's time for their fans to enjoy one as they've paid the price for destroying the Esks so badly in 1990.

Odds are Nichols is out of the picture within a year there anyways with how Streveler has looked. Winnipeg's overall team game is quite strong, so Nichol's job is really just to minimize mistakes, whereas Streveler looks to be the playmaker to bring them to higher levels in future years. I think Streveler may already be the 5th or 6th best QB in the league at 23 so, he'll take over from Nichols soon enough.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  7. Drivesaitl

Streveler will be the start of a Bombers dynasty. As long as they have O Shea coaching, a very good and aggressive D, and a decent offense, they will be unbeatable by CFL standards. They don't need this one, I see Winnipeg Grey Cups on the horizon. They're on the cusp with an excellent club. Ironically better the moment Nichols is done.

8. bone

bone 5-14-6-1

Home Page:
    Agreed. I did a side by side between him and Ricky Ray's first season (both 23 years old), and the passing numbers were almost identical per pass attempt. However, Streveler had only about one third of the reps. The only category that was a quite a bit off was interceptions per pass attempt which Ray was quite a bit better, but remove one interception from the set and even that became pretty close.

Then you throw in his running ability and you've got a star. The only challenge will be keeping him in the CFL.

9. Beerfish

Beerfish Registered User

Strevler , like many new QBs come into this league us wildly overrated at this point. If he becomes starter he fsces more game planning.

He could be good but if he keeps running ike he does he will get hurt and he has just as much a chance of being another Jenkins as otherwise.

TB12 and joestevens29 like this.
  10. bone

bone 5-14-6-1

Home Page:
    Good point the Jennings comp is relevant too.

11. Drivesaitl

Some strange things going on with Grey Cup Ticket sales. Particularly that some sections have come available that were not showing available for several months. Particularly section MM, endzone seating. There are now several rows available at 155bucks, cheaper than any seat available since June. Either the Esks were holding back some sections and ticket sales were not even as much as they had stated or these are returns of some kind. Perhaps even sections that Riders fans had booked in masse or something.

If anybody is interested section MM is selling. In 2010 we had endzone for 99 bucks, better deal. but this is the cheapest seats in.

Maybe they'll do a Grey Cup Groupon though. That would be kind of funny, and sad.

12. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Tier 5 Fan, Holland's least favorite

At least we know what locker room the Esks are getting now.

13. Drivesaitl

Disagree. I always questioned Jennings reads. At no point have I ever thought he was quality. Seems to have a lot of difficulty with drop down reads in real time. He's that QB that has a very good arm, all the tools, but just can't play the game at a high level. never thought he could.

Streveler is completely different. A tank, decent speed, can break tackle, can get outside of pocket. This guy, if sticks around, could be a legend. He's not bad passing the ball but he gives himself so many options and so much ability to create that he would be murder for D's when he gets more game experience. I wish we had this guy. imo the best of the QB prospects in the league.

Peanut Butter likes this.
  14. Beerfish

Beerfish Registered User

In his 1st full year as a starter he threw for 5,226 yards and 27 tds and a 102 QB rating also rushing for 363 yards. If you just watched him the last two years you might conclude what you are saying but his 1st to years he looked great and in fact much better than streveler who everyone is falling in love with after a few games.

bone and TB12 like this.
  15. Drivesaitl

Even that season I thought there were a lot of flaws in his game. The Leos seemed to have a pretty good receiving core at that time and guys that would just win the ball. It happens. A ton of his yds were ridiculous long gainers/yac yds. Seemed to be an inordinate amount of simple go routes that just went for TD's that season for BC. That really adds to yds quickly.

I'm not a big fan of QB ratings in CFL as the Ratings seem to be more consistent with NFL parameters and more downs.

In the CFL I look at different things. For instance proportion of first downs vs two and outs might be the most important CFL value for QB's. Throwing long spears may help the rating, how much does it help the club in ball possession? Jennings was always hot/cold to me. Fire and ice.

I remember when the CFL were hyping Jennings and Drew Willy as great QB's every week. I thought they were both limited.

The other side of it though is it does not take take being an elite Football QB to be very good in the lower rung CFL.

16. rboomercat90

rboomercat90 Registered User

Is that two and out stat readily available? I agree, it would be a good way to measure a CFL quarterback.

17. Drivesaitl

I haven't seen it anywhere its just something I follow when watching games. I also look at first downs generated with is a close proxy. First downs is probably a better barometer of what an offense is doing than points, offensive yds etc. But CFL stats are poorly kept and even harder to find them.

18. MoontoScott

MoontoScott Registered User

A lot of speculation this week in Calgary that this could be Bo's last game at home with the Stamps. I sure hope not because if he bolts then it will be a tremendous blow to the league. The CFL doesn't have a lot of marquee players and can't afford to lose this guy but its obvious that a number of NFL teams are looking for help and depth at the QB position.

Meantime the Stamps will be in tough against that Winnipeg Defence which has peaked at just the right time.

Witness how O'Shea made all kinds of adjustments at the mid-point of the season to get his team moving. He is easily coach of the year for the job he has done. I would love to have this guy on the sidelines for the EE but of course, dream on.

That inside running game is percolating and the Stamps front 7 will have to play their best game since August to shut it down.

I still say Stamps but in a tight one.

19. Stoneman89

Stoneman89 Registered User

Have to agree with this type of assessment. Franklin looked like the 2nd coming every time he played some ball for us, as limited as that was. He still may be a star but nothing is a given and way too early in their careers to make wild assessments based on spot duty.

20. McFuhryous

McFuhryous Registered User

Pretty good West final, both defenses have dug their heels in.

21. Del Preston

Del Preston Proctologist

Matt Nichols doesn't do anything.

22. Cloned

Cloned WoodWoof!

I can't believe Maas lost to these guys, and BC.

Well, I can believe it, but it still sucks.

23. MoontoScott

MoontoScott Registered User

He sure didn't do much in this game. Missed receivers all over the place.

The game itself was pretty much as I thought it would be. A real snoozer defensive battle for 58 minutes until Roger's catch put it away. He is rated as one of the best in the league for good reason.

At the end of the day, Nichols is simply not in a class with BLM and the final verdict was what you would have expected. The Bombers D held tough but you need some help from the offence.

It will be a tougher day for the Stamps D next week because Harris had a monster game today and he has played very well coming down the stretch. It's a "pick-em" game. Unlike other years the Stamps won't be a huge favorite.

24. Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon Registered User

Sports Investor
    Home Page:
    That's the reality of Matt Nichols as your QB. You can dink and dunk to minimize the mistakes, but you often can't score enough points to win against a good team.

Bold prediction: Calgary chokes again. They're weaker this year than the last two.

25. Cloned

Cloned WoodWoof!

That’s exactly why they’ll probably win this year. Less arrogance from them. Ottawa OTOH seems arrogant AF this year.