Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Agreed. I understand not doing it in the weeks leading up to the Grey Cup, or possibly even the few weeks after, but this should have been dealt with early January at the latest. I doubt the new person would have rushed to change the GM and coach, but if they find someone quickly, they may have had some input. That said, presidents shouldn't be influencing any decision other than the hiring of a GM so I'm doubtful much would have changed on the GM/coaching front.

If there's any truth to the fact that the players weren't impressed with Rhodes, though, maybe it would have impacted some of the players' decisions (Sherritt, Reilly, etc), but now it may be too late.
When it comes out that Rhodes was spending money on half time shows that should've went towards personnel, I think you have a few guys shaking their heads.

Maybe a lot wouldn't have changed, but why are decisions made at such stupid times in this City? The water must be tainted.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well I'm surprised, but lets be clear here, the org didn't fire him and the same BOG exists and the same mindsets that hired him.

He must have finally got his job at Disneyland.

But I've had worse Monday mornings;)

This is inadvertent good news.

Some people with minor connections were saying that the BOD had decided that Rhodes was gone before Grey Cup but they wanted to give him a soft departure. This looks to be it. They "mutually" agreed (i.e. the BOD didn't think he was the guy, and he agreed to save face).

Not sure why it took this long though.

Reactions: BlueCheeseWithWings

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Didn't realize his contract was coming up.

Not sure who they are going to look at now.

220px-Goofy.svg.png
Len_wTie-e1470841502854-224x300.jpg

Really I can't tell the difference.

Reactions: The Batman

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think it is because they don't have a CBA for next season and the current one expires on May 15.

Edit - it would be hilarious if the league has a lockout. I'm not sure they could survive as fans may find there are more fun things to do in the summer than watch the CFL.
A lock out would be hilarious.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
When it comes out that Rhodes was spending money on half time shows that should've went towards personnel, I think you have a few guys shaking their heads.

Maybe a lot wouldn't have changed, but why are decisions made at such stupid times in this City? The water must be tainted.
This came out years ago. How long ago was Vanilla Ice here? It was reported then that Rhodes was taking money out of the football ops for that kind of stuff. If memory serves me correct that was not long after he was hired, in his first season. It was clear right from the start his priority wasn’t the football team.

Reactions: joestevens29

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the hit to the bottom line is what finally got the BOD to get rid of him. Dropping attendance, poor GC revenue, lowered season ticket renewals, etc.

Oh yeah, and hopefully the on field results too. :mad:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I think you're right.
They certainly lost all credibility with me after the Hervey firing. Rhodes revealed exactly what a joke the franchise had become under his so called leadership.
As long as Rhodes remains employed by the Esks they will be a 2nd rate CFL franchise.
So im a fair weather esks fan and since they suck thats less and less but I still pop into the thread whenever I hear news.

Whats the story with the Hervey firing?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Reactions: Jamin

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I am pretty sure that this move and the news about Reilly are not mutually exclusive. I am also guessing that as predicted, season ticket renewals are not exactly robust.

They were going to do this at the end of 2018 but left it until now? Whatever for???? Shame on the BOD for having waited until this much damage was done. It will take years to repair the train wreck but that repair job could have started in November.

Now comes the task of a complete rebuild on the offense. Your 4 biggest guns, Reilly, Walker, Williams and Mitchell all gone. That essentially leaves us with an expansion franchise. Maybe the league can take pity on us and hold a dispersal draft.

Anyway, thanks Len, I guess you will "cherish" every moment you spent with the club but I promise we won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->