Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yeah...I have heard his name being tossed around. I have also heard that there has been some friction between him and the BoD. I dont know how accurate any of that is though.

I assume that Fleming has told them what he thought was wrong with the organization and like all cliques they didn't like it when someone outside the inner circle dared to utter the truth.

In the days following Rhodes exit it became crystal clear (based on what Rhodes and the BOD said) just what the focus of the team was. The EE saw themselves as the administrator and distributor for charity functions but while this is praise worthy it is not the reason that the organization is in business.

It's not hard to see where the "winning is not everything" comment came from. It wasn't just Rhodes saying it, he heard it from up above.

Let's hope that a new President will put the ship back in the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I could be his rap guy I guess. I'm cheap, have a keyboard, and hate the NDP.

Throw your hands up in the air and wave them all around. To the right, to the right. Now further right, now further right. But never to the left. Now throw them down like your carbon taxes.

Don't give up the day job just yet. But who am I fooling, ANY rap seems to work as a cadence weapon..

Reactions: EagerPug

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Are the Eskimos going old school with sepia tone or b/w photos and I missed the significance?

I kind of like it. I'd like it less if it was the Cambrian era Oilers management involved.
The team is responding to attacks from special interests groups that say their name is racist and derogatory, so they have decided to get the ball rolling, and do away with "color" photographs in the interest of not offending anyone.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Did anybody read Terry Jones assessment of the job that Brad Sparrow and the board have done in running the club the last 8 years? Most amusing.

In reading this article you would think that the club had won 5 GC's in a row and had barely missed on a few other occasions rather than pointing out the embarrassing string of poor hires and outright misfires.

There is simply no objectivity in the Edmonton press or at least the ones that I have read.

Reactions: MessierII

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Did anybody read Terry Jones assessment of the job that Brad Sparrow and the board have done in running the club the last 8 years? Most amusing.

In reading this article you would think that the club had won 5 GC's in a row and had barely missed on a few other occasions rather than pointing out the embarrassing string of poor hires and outright misfires.

There is simply no objectivity in the Edmonton press or at least the ones that I have read.
I usually avoid TJ articles but I did happen to read this one. It's an odd read. I half expected a little blurb at the end to read 'Paid for by the Committee to Elect Brad Sparrow'. If the Grey Cup profit numbers are correct then it is a good thing for the CFL, no discounting that. It was a great event and amazingly hosted. But as myself and others had worried, it masks the fact the Eskimos season was a major failure.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
His agreement to be able to play in the CFL had stipulations regarding drug use and social conduct, I believe.
Whether he plays or not, Manziel's employment in the CFL will depend on conditions set forth by the league, which called them "extensive and exacting." Manziel labels them "mutually beneficial."
Though the CFL has declined to make those stipulations public due to Canadian privacy laws and an assurance that they would stay confidential, Manziel revealed they include mandatory doctor visits and required Lithium tests each month. He also must visit with a therapist once a week.

Johnny Manziel released by Alouettes for violating contract, CFL bans him from signing with other teams

The article also mentions ties to the new league, so I wonder if this was Manziel just getting out of the CFL. He did after all only want a one year deal originally.

Reactions: Cloned

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Whether he plays or not, Manziel's employment in the CFL will depend on conditions set forth by the league, which called them "extensive and exacting." Manziel labels them "mutually beneficial."
Though the CFL has declined to make those stipulations public due to Canadian privacy laws and an assurance that they would stay confidential, Manziel revealed they include mandatory doctor visits and required Lithium tests each month. He also must visit with a therapist once a week.

Johnny Manziel released by Alouettes for violating contract, CFL bans him from signing with other teams

The article also mentions ties to the new league, so I wonder if this was Manziel just getting out of the CFL. He did after all only want a one year deal originally.
First thing I thought when seeing the headline was he might have done something to get out of the contract to play in the new league. I am a cynic by nature though.

The lithium testing is interesting. Maybe he’s supposed to be taking anti psychotic medication and he stopped.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
First thing I thought when seeing the headline was he might have done something to get out of the contract to play in the new league. I am a cynic by nature though.

The lithium testing is interesting. Maybe he’s supposed to be taking anti psychotic medication and he stopped.
At the end of the day we live in a world where if he did something really bad we would've heard by now. Probably had enough of the hoops to play in a league where he isn't really making a lot of money and sees a shot to play close to home.

Johnny Manziel‏Verified account @JManziel2 2h2 hours ago
More
I want to thank Coach Sherman, my teammates, and the CFL fans. My time there reestablished my love for the game of football and the work that goes into it. I look forward to exploring new options within the United States.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
At the end of the day we live in a world where if he did something really bad we would've heard by now. Probably had enough of the hoops to play in a league where he isn't really making a lot of money and sees a shot to play close to home.

Johnny Manziel‏Verified account @JManziel2 2h2 hours ago
More
I want to thank Coach Sherman, my teammates, and the CFL fans. My time there reestablished my love for the game of football and the work that goes into it. I look forward to exploring new options within the United States.
Yeah, I agree. If he’d have done something really bad we’d have heard about it. That’s why I’m leaning toward the medication angle. From the conditions you posted it said he had agreed to the lithium testing and the weekly doctors visits. Considering his past, that was probably a reasonable condition. Kavis Reed’s tweet said the team tried to work with him but he wasn’t interested. Obviously, I’m only speculating but maybe he changed his mind about taking that medication for whatever reason and the league wouldn’t accept it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I agree. If he’d have done something really bad we’d have heard about it. That’s why I’m leaning toward the medication angle. From the conditions you posted it said he had agreed to the lithium testing and the weekly doctors visits. Considering his past, that was probably a reasonable condition. Kavis Reed’s tweet said the team tried to work with him but he wasn’t interested. Obviously, I’m only speculating but maybe he changed his mind about taking that medication for whatever reason and the league wouldn’t accept it.
Therapy can be a pain too. I personally have never went, but I know people that took awhile until they found someone that worked for them.

Talking to a complete stranger isn't for everyone.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Therapy can be a pain too. I personally have never went, but I know people that took awhile until they found someone that worked for them.

Talking to a complete stranger isn't for everyone.
As someone who has known many on these types of drugs, I’d suggest therapy would be the easy part. So many of them come with terrible side effects and are so hit and miss that it can take a lot of experimentation to find some that work. If you aren’t seeing the positive but getting a lot of the negative from them I could understand how you’d want off them.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
We'll never know the truth. Maybe it was just a convenient excuse for him to leave the league?

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
People who won't take rehab and self discipline seriously always think that there is going to be a "next chance" somewhere down the road only to find that the well has run dry and that they are out of chances. Sounds like Mr. Manziel and his "explore opportunities in the U.S." is going to learn the hard way.

As for Kavis as GM ---well as I have said before, this guy is one of the least qualified people ever to be hired into that position. Sunderland is light years ahead of this dude.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Speaking of bad boys, Mr. Finch sure has some interesting off-season adventures. It's bad news for him when the CFL season ends. His only hope is if the league plays year round.

I guess this time he will blame it on his girlfriend instead of the police.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad