Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Esks' just granted Reilly permission to speak to BC.

He may be gone after all.

Reilly is not going to be an Eskimo next season.
This cant possibly be a money issue because Edmonton can offer him the max. This has to be a lifestyle issue and Vancouver is going to come out way ahead of Edmonton for Reilly.
He is exercising this opportunity as an FA so he can secure his last contract and location has to be primary for him.

I think you can book Reilly being a Lion next season as a done deal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Esks' just granted Reilly permission to speak to BC.

He may be gone after all.

I can't imagine any other scenario than that speaking to BC means he will be there, or not here. BC or NFL clipboard I guess.

The worst thing about this is it pretty much spells out that Jennings probably ends up here.

It says worse about this org and franchise that they can't even keep the face of the franchise, and frankly I wouldn't blame Reilly one bit for having enough of the Eskimos.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Sunderland was just on the Jason Gregor show. Would not comment at all on whether or not they gave permission to Reilly to talk to BC. Sounded kind of annoyed at the question and the fact this was out in the open. I wonder if Trevor Harris is an option? Certainly better than Jennings.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Reilly is not going to be an Eskimo next season.
This cant possibly be a money issue because Edmonton can offer him the max. This has to be a lifestyle issue and Vancouver is going to come out way ahead of Edmonton for Reilly.
He is exercising this opportunity as an FA so he can secure his last contract and location has to be primary for him.

I think you can book Reilly being a Lion next season as a done deal.

I'm not sure that I am going to color him as gone just yet although its a growing possibility.

It might be a negotiating tactic. We don't know what the EE have offered. Keep in mind that the cost of living in Vancouver is pretty high compared to Edmonton so that may also weigh in to the final decision.

Do you want to offer the max to a 34 year old QB with that many miles (hits) on him? It might be time to start anew. You never know who might show up at training camp and it doesn't have to be a CFL veteran.

This was always a possibility in keeping Maas just to placate Reilly. No matter how good a guy is, the players don't get to pick the coach. Another sign of the weakness that has developed in the organization.

As for someone's suggestion about BLM, I just can't see him leaving Calgary.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not sure that I am going to color him as gone just yet although its a growing possibility.

It might be a negotiating tactic. We don't know what the EE have offered. Keep in mind that the cost of living in Vancouver is pretty high compared to Edmonton so that may also weigh in to the final decision.

Do you want to offer the max to a 34 year old QB with that many miles (hits) on him? It might be time to start anew. You never know who might show up at training camp and it doesn't have to be a CFL veteran.

This was always a possibility in keeping Maas just to placate Reilly. No matter how good a guy is, the players don't get to pick the coach. Another sign of the weakness that has developed in the organization.

As unlikely as it would be for him to leave Calgary, it’s even less likely he’d do it to come here.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I would definitely offer the max to Reilly because any QB the Esks bring in will be a step down...in some cases a big step. BLM wont be coming to Edmonton either.
Considering the unrest with the team and the fan base if the Esks lose him (and I am quite certain they will) it will be a huge financial loss (lost ticket sales) for the team over the coming season.

How exactly are the Esks going to 'sell' the team to the fans with Jennings or Harris as the QB? Have Maas and Sunderland shown that they are high level executives that can still fashion and coach a team minus the MOP?
The team has lost so much credibility....losing Reilly adds to that IMO.

I think if we are to be completely honest about this....if the team loses Reilly its in trouble on and off the field.

If I am reading the tea leaves correctly then thats going to be exactly the situation for this team next season.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I would definitely offer the max to Reilly because any QB the Esks bring in will be a step down...in some cases a big step. BLM wont be coming to Edmonton either.
Considering the unrest with the team and the fan base if the Esks lose him (and I am quite certain they will) it will be a huge financial loss (lost ticket sales) for the team over the coming season.

How exactly are the Esks going to 'sell' the team to the fans with Jennings or Harris as the QB? Have Maas and Sunderland shown that they are high level executives that can still fashion and coach a team minus the MOP?

I think if we are to be completely honest about this....if the team loses Reilly its in trouble on and off the field.

If I am reading the tea leaves correctly then thats going to be exactly the situation for this team next season.

I think the team was in trouble off the field even if Reilly stayed. The decision to keep Maas was very questionable and IMHO further damaged the credibility of the club.

Perhaps you go with a less expensive QB and spread some money around to other positions with free agent signings.

Even if Reilly stayed, it was going to be a tough go at the box office. The Edmonton Argosmos might be a bitter reality on the Edmonton sports scene.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think Reilly’s wife is from the Washington state area, so Vancouver is just a hop step and jump. Would be a logical landing spot for that and other factors, Ed Harvey being a major one as well.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
His coaching is really going to get exposed this year.
Any Qb that comes next will have a big year. Mass made a washed up Burris an mop and he took reilly to a whole other level. His head coaching skills are up for debate but he gets a lot out of his QBs

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the team was in trouble off the field even if Reilly stayed. The decision to keep Maas was very questionable and IMHO further damaged the credibility of the club.

Perhaps you go with a less expensive QB and spread some money around to other positions with free agent signings.

Even if Reilly stayed, it was going to be a tough go at the box office. The Edmonton Argosmos might be a bitter reality on the Edmonton sports scene.

Valid points. A change had to happen some time I guess.

I am just having a hard time getting geared up for the 2019 Eskimo season knowing that Maas will be the Head Coach.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Valid points. A change had to happen some time I guess.

I am just having a hard time getting geared up for the 2019 Eskimo season knowing that Maas will be the Head Coach.

I think the whole league has become a much tougher sell in the last year.

Reactions: guymez

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Mass is still here, possible loss of Reilly and a bunch of players left for the NFL. Not looking good for the mighty empire.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Perhaps it really is time to change the name. The Eskimos I remember were a proud group, entirely competent and the class of the league. The “Eskimo” name is now related to fools and losers. This is an insult to all Inuit people. I would suggest “Buffoons” or “Incompetents” as potential satisfactory monikors.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

I would imagine the team lost near all credibility following the Hervey firing and saying winning wasn’t the main priority. Not much in that well still to tap.

They’re trying their best still none the less to remove any spec of credibility though...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would imagine the team lost near all credibility following the Hervey firing and saying winning wasn’t the main priority. Not much in that well still to tap.

They’re trying their best still none the less to remove any spec of credibility though...

I think you're right.
They certainly lost all credibility with me after the Hervey firing. Rhodes revealed exactly what a joke the franchise had become under his so called leadership.
As long as Rhodes remains employed by the Esks they will be a 2nd rate CFL franchise.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think you're right.
They certainly lost all credibility with me after the Hervey firing. Rhodes revealed exactly what a joke the franchise had become under his so called leadership.
As long as Rhodes remains employed by the Esks they will be a 2nd rate CFL franchise.
I still find it ironic that the marketing wizard they hired turned into such a public relations disaster.

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad