Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Did you hear about the reasoning for lowering the amount of Canadian players? Seems a little odd considering Canadian players is the main reason for this League in the first place.
Best available players playing seems like a better sell than Canadian players playing no?

Reactions: fresh meat

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Best available players playing seems like a better sell than Canadian players playing no?

No.

The CFL is built and has lived on the canadian ratio for many years. It is an important tactical apart of the game. It is what lets canadian kids aspire to play pro ball.

It gives players a chance they would never otherwise have been given. A player like Brad Sinopoli would never have been invited to camp.

If you want to watch NFL ball watch NFL ball or just as bad the AAF or XFL.

I like the ratio and rules just as they are an the more they weaken canadian content the more the CFL will be compared to and lose out to the NFL.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think that some of the management groups are just having a tough time finding quality starters at these positions and are now arguing that the Canadian quotas are a relic of the past. I believe they are arguing that you can keep the Canadian quota but the right to play a starting position has to be earned based on merit.

Look at the EE and their attempts to find a starter at the defensive safety position. How can you win a championship with some of the guys we have had back there? They just don't stand a chance against the American talent.

Ditto for Canadian receivers. How many good ones have the EE had in the last decade?

I know all the arguments for keeping the Canadian ratio but times change.

I find it odd that some people on the thread are saying that changing the EE name is o.k. but we have to keep the Canadian starting positions? Does it impact the quality of football in the league? I believe it does and really all the best Canadians want to play in the NFL anyway.
I don’t buy this argument because the rules are the same for every team. It was a problem when the league expanded to the the US and those teams didn’t have the ratio but those days are over. It’s true the pool is shallower for Canadian players but every team has the same issue. The ratio is used to help stimulate football at the grass roots level in Canada and give Canadian kids a shot at having more time to develop. I’d hate to lose it, lose some uniqueness of the Canadian game and just become another minor league. How’s that worked out for all the other football leagues? At least with Canadians involved, it’s worth trying to save.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No.

The CFL is built and has lived on the canadian ratio for many years. It is an important tactical apart of the game. It is what lets canadian kids aspire to play pro ball.

It gives players a chance they would never otherwise have been given. A player like Brad Sinopoli would never have been invited to camp.

If you want to watch NFL ball watch NFL ball or just as bad the AAF or XFL.

I like the ratio and rules just as they are an the more they weaken canadian content the more the CFL will be compared to and lose out to the NFL.
If the goal is to stay in the past... listening to old dinosaurs and not grow the game. Then I agree with you. Sure die hard CFL fan care about things like that but casual fans aka the majority do not care.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don’t buy this argument because the rules are the same for every team. It was a problem when the league expanded to the the US and those teams didn’t have the ratio but those days are over. It’s true the pool is shallower for Canadian players but every team has the same issue. The ratio is used to help stimulate football at the grass roots level in Canada and give Canadian kids a shot at having more time to develop. I’d hate to lose it, lose some uniqueness of the Canadian game and just become another minor league. How’s that worked out for all the other football leagues? At least with Canadians involved, it’s worth trying to save.

But aren't we just another minor league right now? The best Canadian kids all want to play in the NFL and that by itself stimulates football at the grass roots level. Canadian colleges also spur interest in young football players and if you are good enough you can play as a starter in the CFL too.

Nobody is saying that a Canadian can't start in the CFL but you have to be of a certain quality to make the team as a starter. Boateng is a good example of somebody who is as good as any American starter we have. Whether he was a Canadian or an import is irrelevant because he is simply an outstanding football player who is going to start regardless of how many American imports you bring to camp.

Everybody on this board agrees that the quality of play in the CFL has to get better but how do you do that when the Canadian pool is so shallow, especially when you get the inevitable injuries to Canadian starters during a very long 18 game season?

Well, I will let others finish this discussion and we will see what the final CFLPA says--let's hope they get it done by May 15th.

Last edited:
Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If the goal is to stay in the past... listening to old dinosaurs and not grow the game. Then I agree with you. Sure die hard CFL fan care about things like that but casual fans aka the majority do not care.

You are going to grow the game by shutting out Canadian content? Casual fans are not what keeps the league alive when all other like leagues dies quickly. Get rid of Canadian content and you have the XFL or the AAF.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You are going to grow the game by shutting out Canadian content? Casual fans are not what keeps the league alive when all other like leagues dies quickly. Get rid of Canadian content and you have the XFL or the AAF.
No you grow the game by putting a better product on the field. Lol putting better players on the field doesn’t make it come close to the XFL. Also you are out of your mind if you don’t think it’s casual cfl fans filling up the majority of the seats at games. Edit : keep in mind we’re talking about the whole league. Not just Edmonton who have way higher than average attendance.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
But aren't we just another minor league right now? The best Canadian kids all want to play in the NFL and that by itself stimulates football at the grass roots level. Canadian colleges also spur interest in young football players and if you are good enough you can play as a starter in the CFL too.

Nobody is saying that a Canadian can't start in the CFL but you have to be of a certain quality to make the team as a starter. Boateng is a good example of somebody who is as good as any American starter we have. Whether he was a Canadian or an import is irrelevant because he is simply an outstanding football player who is going to start regardless of how many American imports you bring to camp.

Everybody on this board agrees that the quality of play in the CFL has to get better but how do you do that when the Canadian pool is so shallow, especially when you get the inevitable injuries to Canadian starters during a very long 18 game season?

Well, I will let others finish this discussion and we will see what the final CFLPA says--let's hope they get it done by May 15th.
Of course the CFL is a minor league. It’s unique though because it has different rules and because the ratio can be used strategically. Take that away and it just becomes another watered down NFL lite league and none of those has ever lasted long because nobody cares about them. That’s where the CFL goes by eliminating its ratio. The league has been on its deathbed several times over the years but finds its way to survive because it’s been worth saving. What makes it worth saving without homegrown talent? The Canadians are the players that stick around teams long enough to become recognizable and become part of the community. Interesting to me that the only pro football league that has survived in North America for any period of time is the Arena Football league and imo, that’s because it has a uniqueness to its game too.

I’d say the biggest reason for the drop in quality over the years is players not being around long enough to develop. There are several reasons this happens but I think one of the bigger ones is because American players are a dime a dozen. Somebody new is always cheaper. The league is too transient as it is. A full roster of expendable players will make it worse.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No you grow the game by putting a better product on the field. Lol putting better players on the field doesn’t make it come close to the XFL. Also you are out of your mind if you don’t think it’s casual cfl fans filling up the majority of the seats at games. Edit : keep in mind we’re talking about the whole league. Not just Edmonton who have way higher than average attendance.
You grow the game by having players the fans can connect to and get to know. That happens by keeping them around longer. Most of those players are actually the Canadians players because teams are forced to keep them around and develop them because there aren’t very many of them.

I’m puzzled by your comment that “putting better players on the field doesn’t make it come close to the XFL”. Who exactly do you think these “better players” would be? They’d be the same guys that just played in the AAF. A league that couldn’t get through a full season even with some bright NFL minds running it. There isn’t much appetite for football outside of the NFL. The CFL has been able to survive the way they have for years because of its uniqueness. Maybe their time is up because footballs popularity is waning. One thing I’m sure of is deciding to go down the same path everybody else is failing at will only speed up their death. I wish them Good Luck in their decision.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You grow the game by having players the fans can connect to and get to know. That happens by keeping them around longer. Most of those players are actually the Canadians players because teams are forced to keep them around and develop them because there aren’t very many of them.

I’m puzzled by your comment that “putting better players on the field doesn’t make it come close to the XFL”. Who exactly do you think these “better players” would be? They’d be the same guys that just played in the AAF. A league that couldn’t get through a full season even with some bright NFL minds running it. There isn’t much appetite for football outside of the NFL. The CFL has been able to survive the way they have for years because of its uniqueness. Maybe their time is up because footballs popularity is waning. One thing I’m sure of is deciding to go down the same path everybody else is failing at will only speed up their death. I wish them Good Luck in their decision.
XFL is more fireworks and barely dressed women is my point. Better players are from down south (mostly). 85% of fans don’t care about how many Canadians are out there. CFL is unique because it’s a different game, not because some Canadians are in the lineup. That’s all I have to say. I’ll go to my handful of Eskimo games regardless. I wish them good luck as well.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
XFL is more fireworks and barely dressed women is my point. Better players are from down south (mostly). 85% of fans don’t care about how many Canadians are out there. CFL is unique because it’s a different game, not because some Canadians are in the lineup. That’s all I have to say. I’ll go to my handful of Eskimo games regardless. I wish them good luck as well.

I 100% disagree with your assessment of people caring about Canadian players. Where you got that 85% bs is beyond me. It makes the league more interesting and it forces teams to develop local talent. I enjoy cheering for Canadian kids to become stars against their American counterparts.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I 100% disagree with your assessment of people caring about Canadian players. Where you got that 85% bs is beyond me. It makes the league more interesting and it forces teams to develop local talent. I enjoy cheering for Canadian kids to become stars against their American counterparts.
Obviously the 85% was a guesstimate. That’s great that you enjoy that but I’m not arguing that. I know that’s probably important for some fans. I’m saying for the casual fan AKA the majority. It is not.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Obviously the 85% was a guesstimate. That’s great that you enjoy that but I’m not arguing that. I know that’s probably important for some fans. I’m saying for the casual fan AKA the majority. It is not.

I’d agree and say that most fans cheer for their team first, second and third. Rooting for Canadian players on your team is part of it but it’s not a Canada vs. US thing on that front.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree. That and how many kids grow up wanting to be like the best Canadians in the game? Probably very few. Americans are still the stars in the CFL

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For those of you who dont think its important to stand up to this SJW nonsense...apparently the Winnipeg playoff tradition (the whiteout) is now racist.....

But now the fan-inspired “white out” is being called problematic by some Winnipeg activists, including local grassroots advocacy group Black Space Winnipeg.

According to Black Space Winnipeg’s founder Alexa Potashnik, some of the language used by Winnipeg Jets fans in their celebration of the postseason is problematic, and could potentially be making people feel unsafe!

So this is where we stand. Yet another sad reflection of the state of our society. The lens of race has infiltrated literally all aspects of our society. Everything is racist, even making the playoffs.

Activists call Winnipeg Whiteout tradition racist

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Its not that simple though. The Candaidan University's are competing with big money counterparts in the US.
Exposure is key here and the Canadians get very little of that.
The CFL's Canadian content levels the ground a little IMO.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
As I have said before, the snowflakes will not rest until every sports team in North America has a nick name that suits them.

The CFL teams of the 21st century...…….

The Edmonton Anti-Oil Sanders
The Calgary Animal Rights Activists
The Regina Climate Action Advocates
The B.C. Carbon Tax Enthusiasts
The Winnipeg Discovery Learners
The Ottawa Park Your Privilege at the Door Sponsors
The Montreal Sovereignty Associates
The Toronto Electric Car initiators
The Hamilton Anti-Pipeliners
The Halifax Bill C-69'ers

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As I have said before, the snowflakes will not rest until every sports team in North America has a nick name that suits them.

The Hamilton Anti Pipeliners
The Halifax C-69'ers
:facepalm: for **** sakes, this is just so "ridiculous"

Again, Nothern Aboriginal Canadians have every right to be offended by the term Eskimo and we don't get to tell them they aren't

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

But those groups would be offended. Everyone will be just be called [Insert City Name Here] CFL Team.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
The vast majority of people I know that like football (I know, small sample size) don't enjoy watching the CFL because of its low quality with regards to player skill. Heck, even when I go to games I overhear multiple conversations in which people make fun of the CFL and its poor quality of play.

These people, and I believe it to be a very large number, don't care about a high ratio of Canadian players to international players. And if they do, they care considerably more about watching better football.

How can better football be accomplished? With better players. League attendance has been falling steadily and the league will soon begin dying. Lowering the required ratio of Canadian players is far overdue if it means being able to pick from a crop of better players.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
:facepalm: for **** sakes, this is just so "ridiculous"

Again, Nothern Aboriginal Canadians have every right to be offended by the term Eskimo and we don't get to tell them they aren't

Except that many Northern Aboriginal Canadians don't feel that way. That's what I find to be just so "ridiculous" and the PC types don't have the right to tell them that they should be offended.

Reactions: joestevens29

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I think this anti white-out thing is utterly and completely absurd to the fullest.

I also think that every time terms like snowflake are used you isolate and antagonize the other side, just like when terms like alt-right are used to describe every person on the right someone might disagree with. Both sides are equally touchy when it comes to their issues of choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad