Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The vast majority of people I know that like football (I know, small sample size) don't enjoy watching the CFL because of its low quality with regards to player skill. Heck, even when I go to games I overhear multiple conversations in which people make fun of the CFL and its poor quality of play.

These people, and I believe it to be a very large number, don't care about a high ratio of Canadian players to international players. And if they do, they care considerably more about watching better football.

How can better football be accomplished? With better players. League attendance has been falling steadily and the league will soon begin dying. Lowering the required ratio of Canadian players is far overdue if it means being able to pick from a crop of better players.

I agree with most of your points here but its not actually lowering the number of Canadians on the roster, its reducing (from 7 to 5) the number of starting Canadian positions that are mandatory under the rules.

On another note, there is a new twist in the CFL draft this year. The bottom 2 seeds (Toronto and Montreal) get an extra "territorial pick" at the end of the 2nd round although I am not clear on the specifics. Should be interesting.

Reactions: fresh meat

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lions releasing Elimimian.

Ed overspent and no one is helping him out with the cap.

To me this also means that the league has told its teams what to expect for a cap ceiling next year, which means they're getting close to an agreement on the CBA.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
EDMONTON — The National Football League may be bringing back a historic team name that will have a familiar — and occasionally controversial — ring to Canadian gridiron fans.
Records from the United States Patent Office show that the NFL filed a trademark application last week for the Duluth Eskimos, a historic franchise from Minnesota that dates back to the mid-1920s.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Eskimos with the 3rd pick overall in the CFL draft pick Mathieu Betts - DL - Laval.

He will be attending and NFL camp as a free agent. Good pick, most felt he was the best guy in the draft.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Just watching highlights of this guy, love his quickness an tenacity. I'm rooting for him to stick with the Bears but if not he'll look amazing in Green and Gold!

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just watching highlights of this guy, love his quickness an tenacity. I'm rooting for him to stick with the Bears but if not he'll look amazing in Green and Gold!

The guy looks like a total beast. As it always is with the best Canadians we don't know if he'll ever wear a EE uniform but if he does show up then he and Boateng could be the best Canadian duo on the D-line that the EE have had in the last 20 years.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I like that second round pick too. A true OT and a Canadian on a team that has struggled on the O-line. Probably not a starter this year but a good news story nonetheless.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't actually have anything new to say but I thought that if at least one poster comes on once a week to talk about the EE then the thread won't be abolished. Perhaps others can join me in my sacred quest to save the EE discussion(s).

Is it just my imagination or is there little or no excitement in Edmonton about the Esks for the upcoming season? It seems to me that the sense of disinterest is growing and I am a bit nervous about what sort of crowds we will see this year.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I don't actually have anything new to say but I thought that if at least one poster comes on once a week to talk about the EE then the thread won't be abolished. Perhaps others can join me in my sacred quest to save the EE discussion(s).

Is it just my imagination or is there little or no excitement in Edmonton about the Esks for the upcoming season? It seems to me that the sense of disinterest is growing and I am a bit nervous about what sort of crowds we will see this year.
I was excited to watch the draft because I actually taught Shane Richards (1st overall pick to Toronto) here in Calgary when he was in Jr. High. He's a great kid, and I'm glad football is working out for him!

As for the Eskimos, I was really happy with their draft. We got two potential ratio breakers in Betts at defensive end and Saxelid at offensive tackle, and two receivers who sound promising as well (I've got a really good feeling about Hunter Karl - he seems like one of those guys who doesn't have any elite skills, but who will just keep surprising and putting up numbers). Add him a high character fullback who could learn from McCarty, and it was a great draft.

Reactions: The Batman

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
On the internet you can find pretty much any opinion about anything if you look hard enough. It doesn't mean it's indicative of a larger movement.
True. But it seems that the so called "small movements' tend to be carrying far more influence and action amongst those in power that we may think. Small groups are moving the needle in political correctness these days.

Reactions: sabremike

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

At this point, other than the draft, I think there is a sense of stagnancy all around the league, as everyone waits for the CBA to be settled. One that is done, I think some interest will spike.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I was excited to watch the draft because I actually taught Shane Richards (1st overall pick to Toronto) here in Calgary when he was in Jr. High. He's a great kid, and I'm glad football is working out for him!

As for the Eskimos, I was really happy with their draft. We got two potential ratio breakers in Betts at defensive end and Saxelid at offensive tackle, and two receivers who sound promising as well (I've got a really good feeling about Hunter Karl - he seems like one of those guys who doesn't have any elite skills, but who will just keep surprising and putting up numbers). Add him a high character fullback who could learn from McCarty, and it was a great draft.

Good point about that fullback position. McCarty can't have too many seasons left and it is vital to have that spot for a Canadian starter position. For a fourth round pick we certainly got our money's worth for Mr. McCarty. And he has been a great football ambassador off the field as well.

Assuming that you still need 7 Canadian starters under the new CFL agreement then I would say that 3 Canadian O-lineman+ Smith at receiver+ Canadian fullback+ Boateng at DE + Konar at LB counts as 7 starters and then we can start an all American D-backfield. As I have said many times before, no way can you win with some of the dudes we had back there. With the large Canadian field you must have players with the good closing speed.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I find in my circles that we don’t talk much about them in the off season but end up going to quite a few games. If the weather gets warm and the beer stays cold there will be no problem with attendance IMO. Nothing like watching some good football on Saturday afternoon outside in the sun with a cold beverage. Not to mention we had a hell of a free agency.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

The lack of big names, not only with the Esks, but with the entire league is one of the reasons I would say is leading to apathy about the team. The huge disparity with wages in the CFL and NFL is another. People aren't getting emotionally attached to a player if they can up and leave and make big money being a bench warmer down south than being a starter here. Would also help if the media would actually talk about the CFL a lot more instead of beating the NFL drum almost 24/7/365. How bad it is? I imagine come every summer Edmonton fans want to talk about the Oilers and the media reply "Uh, they're called the Texans".

As for this season, there's no Mike Reilly but there is Jason Maas. Perhaps the threat of a labour dispute may be part of it. It is a crap shoot to find good players that stand out these days and get people talking. Not much to talk about player wise since the days of Hugh Campbell.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
EDMONTON — The National Football League may be bringing back a historic team name that will have a familiar — and occasionally controversial — ring to Canadian gridiron fans.
Records from the United States Patent Office show that the NFL filed a trademark application last week for the Duluth Eskimos, a historic franchise from Minnesota that dates back to the mid-1920s.
Jordin Tootoo will always be a fave of mine for replying to a reporter who asked him why he was an Eskimos fan by saying "Dude, look at me: I AM an Eskimo!"

Reactions: guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The name change has been confirmed today as being in progress.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Not at all surprised. Political correctness is out of control these days.

All somebody has to do is say they are offended and people will jump lest they appear intolerant. They dont need to explain how or why their feelings are hurt...no justification required.

At the same time there is a growing number of people (and organizations) who are taking advantage of this new reality by virtue signalling so they can appear to be tolerant and caring.
Its a sad joke IMO and its going to produce a society of entitlement.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Gross. Who's decision was this, the board's? If it's true I hope they have a better name than Empire. I'd rather Edmonton Football Team than that. Have they considered baby steps, like maybe just the Edmonton Eskies? Apparently in Australia it's a type of cooler! Nothing offensive about that right?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Gross. Who's decision was this, the board's? If it's true I hope they have a better name than Empire. I'd rather Edmonton Football Team than that. Have they considered baby steps, like maybe just the Edmonton Eskies? Apparently in Australia it's a type of cooler! Nothing offensive about that right?

THey will find a way to make it offensive. If people look hard enough into a word, they can make anything sound offensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->