Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ricky Ray has retired. A HOF career. The Tillman trade of Ray ranks right up there with some of Chias finest moves.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Ricky Ray has retired. A HOF career. The Tillman trade of Ray ranks right up there with some of Chias finest moves.
He should have retired after he won the Grey Cup. He looked so slow in that game he got hurt in last year, like he didn’t belong on the field. That was such a strange play to watch. Ray looked like he was in slo-motion while everyone else was moving at full speed. Painful just to watch.

One of the faces of the league for a long time after a tremendous career. Probably won’t be long before we see him as a coach.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It’s almost like they changed the name already and just didn’t tell anybody. I’ve felt I’ve heard them reference Empire a lot more than Eskimos since the start of last season. I haven’t heard Edmonton Empire together but just Empire by itself. Maybe they’ll start now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
:shakehead I thought the tour done by management last year put the name issue to bed.

I knew it wouldn't be the end. Like someone said above, if a single person complains then it can't be put to rest. Every single person must be placated no matter what the issue.

Little wonder that Canadians are now seen as the Kings and Queens of political correctness around the globe with no relief in sight. Foreign investors scoff at this junk and no longer want to buy Canadian energy shares which are trading at multi year lows.

I wonder if the EE change their name what that will cost at the ticket box office. My guess is plenty but hey as long as not one single person is offended then it must be worth it.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sounds like CFLPA negotiations are going nowhere and camps will not open next week.

I sure hope that a major strike doesn't result because this is not the NHL where fans come flocking back no matter what stoppages occur.

For a league that is struggling at the gates you can't afford to be seen as irrelevant.

I side with the players on this one. They play for peanuts and have no contract guarantees. I believe that they are due more consideration and should have been paid their bonuses. That was part of the existing contract that should have been honored.

Anyway you slice it, this stuff is not good news for the league.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Sounds like CFLPA negotiations are going nowhere and camps will not open next week.

I sure hope that a major strike doesn't result because this is not the NHL where fans come flocking back no matter what stoppages occur.

For a league that is struggling at the gates you can't afford to be seen as irrelevant.

I side with the players on this one. They play for peanuts and have no contract guarantees. I believe that they are due more consideration and should have been paid their bonuses. That was part of the existing contract that should have been honored.

Anyway you slice it, this stuff is not good news for the league.

That's too bad, because I'm kind of looking forward to this season with the overhaul we did this offseason.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Eskimos Welcome Derek Oswalt to Coaching Staff - Edmonton Eskimos
The Edmonton Eskimos have added Derek Oswalt to the 2019 coaching staff as a defensive assistant.
William Fields has left the Green and Gold for a coaching opportunity in the XFL.

Eskimos Transaction - Edmonton Eskimos
The Edmonton Eskimos have signed international defensive lineman Darius Jackson.

Eskimos players will report to training camp on time, but strike looming
Training camp will kick off as scheduled for the Edmonton Eskimos ... due to labour laws in those provinces, the Eskimos are among a group that can’t legally strike until May 23, players association executive director Brian Ramsay told media during a conference call Thursday, following three days of talks in Toronto ...

Reactions: joestevens29

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Very disappointing. I really can't believe they haven't struck a deal yet. Lots to lose on both sides if there's actually a work stoppage.

Reactions: Beerfish

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
What exactly are they disagreeing over?

Would things get pushed along if tsn were to flex some muscle n pressure both sides to get a deal done sooner than later?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
What exactly are they disagreeing over?

Would things get pushed along if tsn were to flex some muscle n pressure both sides to get a deal done sooner than later?

Sounds like one of the key demands from the players was extended medical coverage after serious injuries. Under the old deal a team was responsible for all of the medical bills for up to one year after an injury I believe. This could be a sticking point in negotiations.

I hope a deal is reached that both sides are happy with, but I'm not sure how much leverage the players really have here. Thousands of players graduate from college every year, it's not like there's nobody else out there willing to play football for a living, even if it's not for million dollar NFL paychecks. And the star players may have the finances to sit out and fight for a better deal, but your average CFL player is probably not in a position to just forfeit salary without a second thought.

Reactions: joestevens29

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sounds like one of the key demands from the players was extended medical coverage after serious injuries. Under the old deal a team was responsible for all of the medical bills for up to one year after an injury I believe. This could be a sticking point in negotiations.

I hope a deal is reached that both sides are happy with, but I'm not sure how much leverage the players really have here. Thousands of players graduate from college every year, it's not like there's nobody else out there willing to play football for a living, even if it's not for million dollar NFL paychecks. And the star players may have the finances to sit out and fight for a better deal, but your average CFL player is probably not in a position to just forfeit salary without a second thought.

It's a tough grind for your average CFL player. After tax you might get 40K per year (Canadian) and you play through a grueling 18 game season. It works out to about 2K per game, obviously its love of the sport and not money that motivates most of the guys. I'm with them on this one.

Reactions: guymez

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's a tough grind for your average CFL player. After tax you might get 40K per year (Canadian) and you play through a grueling 18 game season. It works out to about 2K per game, obviously its love of the sport and not money that motivates most of the guys. I'm with them on this one.

Eh, this isn't 1995. The league rookie minimum is 48k I believe, so those numbers are really only accurate for rookies and fringe players. A decent starter on his second contract is probably in the $70-80k per season range, quite a bit more if you're a star. That's not bad for 6 months of work.

I'm not taking sides, just hoping the season starts on time. But the old narrative of CFLers bagging groceries to stay above the poverty line during the season isn't true any more.

Reactions: MessierII

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Eh, this isn't 1995. The league rookie minimum is 48k I believe, so those numbers are really only accurate for rookies and fringe players. A decent starter on his second contract is probably in the $70-80k per season range, quite a bit more if you're a star. That's not bad for 6 months of work.

I'm not taking sides, just hoping the season starts on time. But the old narrative of CFLers bagging groceries to stay above the poverty line during the season isn't true any more.

I said after tax.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
In Canada after taxes $48K is closer to $30K. For a pro athlete that risks his well being every play thats is an absolute joke of a salary.

And its not just six months either. You have to train year round if you want to keep your roster spot. In addition, what medical and dental benefits do they get for their families compared to your average salaried workers in Canada? I am not sure about this and that's why I ask.

I think that for many American players, their wives probably wouldn't work while they are here in Canada for the 6 month season so that makes it a bit tougher as well.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
In Canada after taxes $48K is closer to $30K. For a pro athlete that risks his well being every play thats is an absolute joke of a salary.
40k take home in 6 months is pacing for 6 figures before taxes. That’s pretty good for minor league pro. I have buddies who play pro hockey overseas for significantly less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And its not just six months either. You have to train year round if you want to keep your roster spot. In addition, what medical and dental benefits do they get for their families compared to your average salaried workers in Canada? I am not sure about this and that's why I ask.

I think that for many American players, their wives probably wouldn't work while they are here in Canada for the 6 month season so that makes it a bit tougher as well.

Its ridiculous.
There is no reason why more of the TV/Gate revenue cant be shared with the players. The minimum salary should be closer to $100K IMO....not $48K.
Just my thoughts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->