Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In keeping with the theme of this discussion, it would appear that the term "midget" hockey which is used to describe particular age grouping of kids playing hockey is on the way out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This isn't even the PC crowd though.

I've never heard or seen any significant negative noise/trouble about the Eskimos name.

This is just the BOD being overly sensitive to basically a non-issue. Do you see the owners of the Indians or the Blackhawks racing to change the names of their teams? No, because their executives aren't idiots like our BOD is. Our BOD are the ones who are actually making a mountain out of a molehill here, not the PC crowd or whatever.

I dont agree with this.

Its absolutely the pressure of the PC crowd thats driving this. If there was no public perception stigma around this issue (which is entirely driven by the PC crowd which includes 90% of the media) then there would be no pressure for the BOD to do anything.
Why do you think that politicians play the virtue signalling game?
They do it to avoid any negative public perceptions that might influence their ability to get elected. They are protecting their individual brand and their party brand.
The BOD is playing the same game....steer clear of anything that might potentially tarnish the brand and if virtue signalling enhances the brand then you do it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I dont agree with this.

Its absolutely the pressure of the PC crowd thats driving this. If there was no public perception stigma around this issue (which is entirely driven by the PC crowd which includes 90% of the media) then there would be no pressure for the BOD to do anything.
Why do you think that politicians play the virtue signalling game?
They do it to avoid any negative public perceptions that might influence their ability to get elected. They are protecting their individual brand and their party brand.
The BOD is playing the same game....steer clear of anything that might potentially tarnish the brand and if virtue signalling enhances the brand then you do it.

What pressure? There is barely, if any, negative news about the Eskimos name. Maybe an isolated story about a small group of disgruntled people a few years ago.

If the board is really that sensitive to THAT barely existent level of negative publicity, then it’s their own fault. I’m not a fan of being overly PC either, but this is the board making a big deal out of essentially nothing, not the PC crowd forcing their hand.

I mean I could write a thousand letters demanding that Coke change their name to FlatCola, it doesn’t mean they have to (or should) listen to me. If thousands of people wrote letters? Maybe. Are there thousands of people demanding a change of the Eskimos name? I doubt it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What pressure? There is barely, if any, negative news about the Eskimos name. Maybe an isolated story about a small group of disgruntled people a few years ago.

If the board is really that sensitive to THAT barely existent level of negative publicity, then it’s their own fault. I’m not a fan of being overly PC either, but this is the board making a big deal out of essentially nothing, not the PC crowd forcing their hand.

I mean I could write a thousand letters demanding that Coke change their name to FlatCola, it doesn’t mean they have to (or should) listen to me. If thousands of people wrote letters? Maybe. Are there thousands of people demanding a change of the Eskimos name? I doubt it.

Perception matters and it drives decisions like this. If they think that being proactive about the proposed name change is in their best interests (re: protecting the brand) then they will do that.

Also the Coke analogy doesnt work because it isnt a part of the cultural marxism that currently creating narratives in society. The Coke analogy dosent fit within the CM parameters.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Perception matters and it drives decisions like this. If they think that being proactive about the proposed name change is in their best interests (re: protecting the brand) then they will do that.

Once again though, that’s the board’s problem, not anyone forcing their hands.

Not every board is stupid enough to let a barely existent group of dissenters drive major decisions. Our board is the exception, not the rule.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Once again though, that’s the board’s problem, not anyone forcing their hands.

Not every board is stupid enough to let a barely existent group of dissenters drive major decisions. Our board is the exception, not the rule.

Cultural Marxism is a very real phenomena and it (unfortunately) has much influence.
If the BOD decides that its best to be proactive instead of waiting for the groundswell of public pressure then that s what they will do IMO.
They will probably claim that it makes the Eskimos a Progressive and inclusive organization that they did the name change when they did.
Just more virtue signalling that seems to make a lot of people feel good.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Cultural Marxism is a very real phenomena and it (unfortunately) has much influence.
If the BOD decides that its best to be proactive instead of waiting for the groundswell of public pressure then that s what they will do IMO.
They will probably claim that it makes the Eskimos a Progressive and inclusive organization that they did the name change when they did.

I don’t buy it.

Are the Indians or Blackhawks racing to change their names before pressure builds? Even arguably the most potentially offensive name in all of NA professional sports, the Redskins, are they racing to change their name?

These teams are probably facing 10x the level of pressure that the Esks board is facing, but they’re rooted enough in pragmatism to realize that they don’t have to listen to small groups of dissenters.

This isn’t a measured or proportional response. There are lots of things they can do or say to meet any potential pressure without resorting to changing the name of the team. Being proactive and measured is like me filling up my tank of gas the night before so I don’t have to rush to fill it in the morning before work. What the Esks board is doing is essentially selling their traditional car and buying an electric car because they don’t want to face the possibility of having to fill up the gas tank again. That’s a ridiculously overblown response to a very minor issue.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don’t buy it.

Are the Indians or Blackhawks racing to change their names before pressure builds? Even arguably the most potentially offensive name in all of NA professional sports, the Redskins, are they racing to change their name?

These teams are probably facing 10x the level of pressure that the Esks board is facing, but they’re rooted enough in pragmatism to realize that they don’t have to listen to small groups of dissenters.

This isn’t a measured response. There are lots of things they can do or say to meet any potential pressure without resorting to changing the name of the team. Being proactive and measured is like me filling up my tank of gas the night before so I don’t have to rush to fill it in the morning before work. What the Esks board is doing is essentially selling their traditional car and buying an electric car because they don’t want to face the possibility of having to fill up the gas tank again. That’s a ridiculously overblown response to a very minor issue.

The sh*t storm is coming on all these things.
When and if these teams change their names will depend on how weak in the knees they are. Proportionally measured responses simply do not matter when it comes to issues like this. The far left doesnt give a rats ass about being measured and reasonable. Its about imposing an agenda and if they can rely on useful idiots in the general public to help them fulfill this agenda then so be it.
Its worked so far.

If you are suggesting to me that the Esks BOD is weak in the knees then we agree. :D

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The sh*t storm is coming on all these things.
When and if these teams change their names will depend on how weak in the knees they are. Proportionally measured responses simply do not matter when it comes to issues like this. The far left doesnt give a rats ass about being measured and reasonable. Its about imposing an agenda and if they can rely on useful idiots in the general public to help them fulfill this agenda then so be it.
Its worked so far.

If you are suggesting to me that the Esks BOD is weak in the knees then we agree. :D

My point is that the blame shouldn’t go toward some nameless PC crowd here. It’s not like there are thousands of people storming the Esks offices demanding this to happen. This is almost completely of the board’s own doing, seeing and responding disproportionately to a perceived threat that doesn’t actually exist in any significant fashion.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My point is that the blame shouldn’t go toward some nameless PC crowd here. It’s not like there are thousands of people storming the Esks offices demanding this to happen. This is almost completely of the board’s own doing, seeing and responding disproportionately to a perceived threat that doesn’t actually exist in any significant fashion.

I dont think you understand the reality behind whats going on right now.
Organizations (political and otherwise) are constantly reading the tea leaves regarding what the public will support.
Cultural Marxism is very real and its targeting many perceived injustices and it doesn't matter if there is any validity and fact based information behind their agenda. If you are denying that this is a real phenomena then thats a different discussion all together.
Each of these specific issues starts with a trickle of dissent. Thats happened already with the Eskimo name. If you are trying to suggest that its nothing to worry about MAYBE you will be proven right. I would suggest to you that recent history contradicts that POV.

In any event IF the BOD believes that the best approach is to be proactive then thats what they will do.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I dont think you understand the reality behind whats going on right now.
Organizations (political and otherwise) are constantly reading the tea leaves regarding what the public will support.
Cultural Marxism is very real and its targeting many perceived injustices and it doesn't matter if there is any validity and fact based information behind their agenda. If you are denying that this is a real phenomena then thats a different discussion all together.
Each of these specific issues starts with a trickle of dissent. Thats happened already with the Eskimo name. If you are trying to suggest that its nothing to worry about MAYBE you will be proven right. I would suggest to you that recent history contradicts that POV.

In any event IF the BOD believes that the best approach is to be proactive then thats what they will do.

What I’m saying is that regardless of the ideal behind the movement, it’s still ultimately the board’s decision how to respond to it. Given this board’s questionable history of decision making and the fact that other such situations in pro sports are not being responded to in anywhere near the same fashion, I’m more inclined to believe that this specific situation is due to the board’s own (incorrect) perception and disproportionate response.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What I’m saying is that regardless of the ideal behind the movement, it’s still ultimately the board’s decision how to respond to it. Given this board’s questionable history of decision making and the fact that other such situations in pro sports are not being responded to in anywhere near the same fashion, I’m more inclined to believe that this specific situation is due to the board’s own (incorrect) perception and disproportionate response.

I am not close enough to the other sports situations to know that they are not considering the same response. I guess time will tell.

In terms of the Esks BOD....I share you lack of confidence. They have a history of bad decision making.
I am not trying to justify their decision (if it happens) for changing the name.
I was just pointing out how far the pendulum has swung in terms of policing the language we use.
Things are just really ****ed up right now with all this far left activism being embraced and many organizations are trying to avoid (rightly or wrongly) being a target.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I am not close enough to the other sports situations to know that they are not considering the same response. I guess time will tell.

In terms of the Esks BOD....I share you lack of confidence. They have a history of bad decision making.
I am not trying to justify their decision (if it happens) for changing the name.
I was just pointing out how far the pendulum has swung in terms of policing the language we use.
Things are just really ****ed up right now with all this far left activism being embraced and many organizations are trying to avoid (rightly or wrongly) being a target.

I’d agree to an extent.

Extremism in any form is not a good thing.

Extremism driving major decisions is not a good thing.

However, I’m not convinced extremism is to blame for this particular situation.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I havent seen much about the CBA. I have no idea how the negotiations are going.
Anybody heard anything?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I havent seen much about the CBA. I have no idea how the negotiations are going.
Anybody heard anything?

Last I read it wasn’t going well.

Ambrosie told the teams not to pay out any bonuses until there was a CBA in place and that pissed off the players. And they were already pissed off before that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Last I read it wasn’t going well.

Ambrosie told the teams not to pay out any bonuses until there was a CBA in place and that pissed off the players. And they were already pissed off before that.

The latest talk is that the players won't report to camp.

Great. I was looking forward to watching some football next month.
The players deserve a bigger piece of the pie.....hopefully they can resolve this ASAP.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
The players deserve a bigger piece of the pie.....hopefully they can resolve this ASAP.

The last I heard, this wasn't primarily about dollars & cents for the players, and that there were some other issues also involved.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I also hope that the players get a bigger slice of the pie.

There is also a lot of debate about Canadian starters--stick with 7 or go down to 5. The owners want 5 because its easier to find a cheaper import.

Canadian players want the rule of 7 left in for obvious reasons.

The last I heard there was a proposed compromise of 6.

Stay tuned, training camp less than a month away- I hope they settle.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The last I heard, this wasn't primarily about dollars & cents for the players, and that there were some other issues also involved.

Oh okay. Well that should be easier to resolve then.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I also hope that the players get a bigger slice of the pie.

There is also a lot of debate about Canadian starters--stick with 7 or go down to 5. The owners want 5 because its easier to find a cheaper import.

Canadian players want the rule of 7 left in for obvious reasons.

The last I heard there was a proposed compromise of 6.

Stay tuned, training camp less than a month away- I hope they settle.

Did you hear about the reasoning for lowering the amount of Canadian players? Seems a little odd considering Canadian players is the main reason for this League in the first place.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Did you hear about the reasoning for lowering the amount of Canadian players? Seems a little odd considering Canadian players is the main reason for this League in the first place.

I think that some of the management groups are just having a tough time finding quality starters at these positions and are now arguing that the Canadian quotas are a relic of the past. I believe they are arguing that you can keep the Canadian quota but the right to play a starting position has to be earned based on merit.

Look at the EE and their attempts to find a starter at the defensive safety position. How can you win a championship with some of the guys we have had back there? They just don't stand a chance against the American talent.

Ditto for Canadian receivers. How many good ones have the EE had in the last decade?

I know all the arguments for keeping the Canadian ratio but times change.

I find it odd that some people on the thread are saying that changing the EE name is o.k. but we have to keep the Canadian starting positions? Does it impact the quality of football in the league? I believe it does and really all the best Canadians want to play in the NFL anyway.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think that some of the management groups are just having a tough time finding quality starters at these positions and are now arguing that the Canadian quotas are a relic of the past. I believe they are arguing that you can keep the Canadian quota but the right to play a starting position has to be earned based on merit.

Look at the EE and their attempts to find a starter at the defensive safety position. How can you win a championship with some of the guys we have had back there? They just don't stand a chance against the American talent.

Ditto for Canadian receivers. How many good ones have the EE had in the last decade?

I know all the arguments for keeping the Canadian ratio but times change.

I find it odd that some people on the thread are saying that changing the EE name is o.k. but we have to keep the Canadian starting positions? Does it impact the quality of football in the league? I believe it does and really all the best Canadians want to play in the NFL anyway.
I would rather they reduce it to 5 or 6 if it meant the quality got better.

The quality in the CFL has been going down for a bit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad