Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I love being told to be offended by other white people about a name that has nothing to do with white people

Exactly, Edmonton is now a home for the politically correct who are constantly laying guilt trips on others.

If the EE change their name it will be a very serious blow to the club at a time when they are starting to struggle at the gate like so many other CFL franchises have in the past.

I wonder how the season ticket renewal rates are doing?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yep. How is Eskimos offensive? Should the Montreal Canadiens change their name? Vancouver canucks?
If you wanted to, you could find something offensive to somebody in most team nicknames. Should we just stop using the nick names altogether? This whole thing is ridiculous and completely agenda driven.

Reactions: guymez

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Won't be long until they come after the Oilers because oil is bad for the environment and upsets people.

Then the Golden Bears are next. Super insensitive to black bears.

The Griffins are simply unacceptable. Mythical creature that didn't even exist. Blasphemy! I'm offended.

The Edmonton Prospects? Get the hell out of here with that. I was never drafted and wasn't considered a top prospect, do you know how insensitive to me that is? Unbelievable these people.

The Wildcats. Disgusting. They hurt humans occasionally. Extremely disrespectful to anyone who's ever been injured by a wildcat. Be gone.

Ooks? what the hell is that even? I'm offended that I don't know what that is. They MUST change their name. Think of the children.

The Concordia Thunder? Thunder is scary to little children and dogs. It must go. Super insensitive.

Edmonton Huskies? Super offensive to fat people who are often called "husky". It must go.

Oil Kings? Holy hell, where do I begin with this one? Oil=murder. Kings were often tyrannical and took over many lands and raped and pillaged. Maybe the most offensive name in the bunch.

FC Edmonton? FC obviously means something Satanic. GET RID OF THAT NAME.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Won't be long until they come after the Oilers because oil is bad for the environment and upsets people.

The Griffins are simply unacceptable. Mythical creature that didn't even exist. Blasphemy! I'm offended.

The Edmonton Prospects? Get the hell out of here with that. I was never drafted and wasn't considered a top prospect, do you know how insensitive to me that is? Unbelievable these people.

The Wildcats. Disgusting. They hurt humans occasionally. Extremely disrespectful to anyone who's ever been injured by a wildcat. Be gone.

Ooks? what the hell is that even? I'm offended that I don't know what that is. They MUST change their name. Think of the children.

The Concordia Thunder? Thunder is scary to little children and dogs. It must go. Super insensitive.

Edmonton Huskies? Super offensive to fat people who are often called "husky". It must go.

Oil Kings? Holy hell, where do I begin with this one? Oil=murder. Kings were often tyrannical and took over many lands and raped and pillaged. Maybe the most offensive name in the bunch.

Good post but here are some more that would fit this bill.

Winnipeg Jets?-- Jets dumped thousands of tons of bombs on innocent Vietnamese and Cambodian people in a long and useless war. Ditto for the term Blue Bombers.

Montreal Canadiens?--What about Quebeckers who want to separate? How about the Montreal Free Quebeckers instead?

Calgary Flames? That name was taken from the Atlanta Flames (when the club moved from Atlanta to Calgary) which is in reference to Sherman's massacre of Southerners during an extremely violent civil war period.

Calgary Stampeders? That is very offensive to some animal lovers. Some people want rodeos and chuck wagon races to be permanently banned. As a matter of fact I also object to the treatment of animals I see during calf roping but that doesn't mean that I want to see the Stamps change their name.

On and on the list goes. Today the Esks change their name and then the day after the political pressure mounts for the Stamps to change theirs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I’m offended you didn’t include cats when you mentioned dogs and children are scared of thunder. My cat has panic attacks when he hears thunder (and fireworks and those military flyovers the Esks have a couple times a year). I’m shocked at how insensitive you are.

Reactions: TB12

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I'm offended by the term "broadcasting" in terms of spreading materials or information over a large area from a central location. Not only does the term use a derogatory word for women, it advocates tossing them around at any time without consent.

Reactions: yukoner88 and TB12

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A riding that is mainly non-white and he gets put in over guys that were reaching out to the community before they finalized the candidate. I'm actually surprised he did as well as he did.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm offended by the term "broadcasting" in terms of spreading materials or information over a large area from a central location. Not only does the term use a derogatory word for women, it advocates tossing them around at any time without consent.
I’m offended that you’re offended

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
A riding that is mainly non-white and he gets put in over guys that were reaching out to the community before they finalized the candidate. I'm actually surprised he did as well as he did.
Sweet night for me. UCP majority but Rhodes goes down.

Win-Win.
Well at least Rhodes lost his riding.

Me when Rhodes was announced to be in my area's riding:

NSMkw9Q.gif

Me right now:

giphy.gif

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It was shameless to put the guy in that riding. Yes, he was well known in Edmonton but for all the wrong reasons. The last thing we needed was his influence in gov't.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Who is offended? Honestly. Gregor has had quite a few Eskimos on his show and they've talked about how they take pride in us having the name.

I've really never seen or heard anyone be offended other than a mayor at grey cup couple years ago. Who the hell knows what his agenda was.

These days all that needs to happen is for 1 person to say they are offended and they dont even have to provide an explanation as to why they are offended. They just have to speak out and everybody is expected to jump to attention (the media and politicians and far too many citizens always do) and capitulate.
When you dont capitulate you are called intolerant and chided by others who claim that its just being compassionate and it makes things much easier if you give into their demands.

This virtue signalling and misplaced compassion /victim mentality has gone on for far too long IMO.
Its time people stood up to this nonsense.
Its like the boy who cried wolf...it takes away from legitimate issues that actually should be reviewed.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Yep. How is Eskimos offensive? Should the Montreal Canadiens change their name? Vancouver canucks?

Not the same.

These things evolve and change over the years. I don’t pretend to understand why but I’m open to change if it helps to make the world a better place.

When I was young we played cowboys and Indians, or cops and robbers or whatever excuse we could find so we could shoot toy guns at each other.

Nowadays that probably doesn’t go over so well.

I grew up with the Eskimos but I’m ok with a name change if it comes to that. I would like them to focus on improving the team and improving the overall product of the cfl. It has been declining for years now imo.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not the same.

These things evolve and change over the years. I don’t pretend to understand why but I’m open to change if it helps to make the world a better place.

When I was young we played cowboys and Indians, or cops and robbers or whatever excuse we could find so we could shoot toy guns at each other.

Nowadays that probably doesn’t go over so well.

I grew up with the Eskimos but I’m ok with a name change if it comes to that. I would like them to focus on improving the team and improving the overall product of the cfl. It has been declining for years now imo.

Interesting that the thing that doesn't go over well now is the cowboys and Indians thing, but the shooting at people has amplified if anything with the video games that promote it. Not sure if that makes the world a better place.

As for changing a name that 99 .9 % of the population including those of that race are okay with, does not make the world a better place.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Much like most “pc culture outrage” I see a ridiculously lopsided amount more of “these triggered snowflakes are out of hand” than actual “snowflakes being out of hand”. Every year or so a couple people go “hey I’m not particularly cool with this” and people flip shit and act like society is crumbling.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly, who cares at all. If they want to change the name, then change. It's just a name. As long as the new name starts with an E as well, so we can keep the awesome logo, I could care less.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Honestly, who cares at all. If they want to change the name, then change. It's just a name. As long as the new name starts with an E as well, so we can keep the awesome logo, I could care less.

There is a principle behind this.
Names and words matter...they arent just placeholders for other words that can be interchanged (because of ignorance around the meaning) without consequence.
Yes this is just a name for a sports team but it represents much more than that.

Reactions: rboomercat90

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
There is a principle behind this.
Names and words matter...they arent just placeholders for other words that can be interchanged (because of ignorance around the meaning) without consequence.
Yes this is just a name for a sports team but it represents much more than that.

Exactly, there is power in certain names and the Edmonton Eskimos once stood for something very substantial in Canadian sports.

As an example, I am an animal rights activist and I become tense when I see the cruelty of a calf being roped with the possibility that its neck might be broken. For what, I ask?

Does it give me the right to insist that the Stampeders change their name because it offends me? I have to realize that the name has a proud history and it means a lot to Stamp fans so I can live with it. My opinion isn't the only one that matters.

Names mean a lot. When the Montreal Alouettes became the Montreal Concorde it just didn't work. When the team came back they adopted the old name because it was steeped in history and was of significance to fans.

I think it will be a very sad day in Canadian sports history if the "Eskimos" name is dumped and believe me the PC crowd won't stop there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Exactly, there is power in certain names and the Edmonton Eskimos once stood for something very substantial in Canadian sports.

As an example, I am an animal rights activist and I become tense when I see the cruelty of a calf being roped with the possibility that its neck might be broken. For what, I ask?

Does it give me the right to insist that the Stampeders change their name because it offends me? I have to realize that the name has a proud history and it means a lot to Stamp fans so I can live with it. My opinion isn't the only one that matters.

Names mean a lot. When the Montreal Alouettes became the Montreal Concorde it just didn't work. When the team came back they adopted the old name because it was steeped in history and was of significance to fans.

I think it will be a very sad day in Canadian sports history if the "Eskimos" name is dumped and believe me the PC crowd won't stop there.

This isn't even the PC crowd though.

I've never heard or seen any significant negative noise/trouble about the Eskimos name.

This is just the BOD being overly sensitive to basically a non-issue. Do you see the owners of the Indians or the Blackhawks racing to change the names of their teams? No, because their executives aren't idiots like our BOD is. Our BOD are the ones who are actually making a mountain out of a molehill here, not the PC crowd or whatever.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This isn't even the PC crowd though.

I've never heard or seen any significant negative noise/trouble about the Eskimos name.

This is just the BOD being overly sensitive to basically a non-issue. Do you see the owners of the Indians or the Blackhawks racing to change the names of their teams? No, because their executives aren't idiots like our BOD is. Our BOD are the ones who are actually making a mountain out of a molehill here, not the PC crowd or whatever.

You make a good point. I hope that a new EE President will dump this BOD and bring in some different voices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->