Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The last 5 minutes looked like the 2018 Esks playing in Lions uniforms.

Not much running game, a passing drill with the Winnipeg backs dropping deep into coverage. Some near misses, a few good completions but in the end not a close game and a well deserved loss.

Reilly also took a few big hits and was often throwing into double coverage. They are by-products of his slower release style.

BC taking a kickoff to the house made this look a lot closer than it really was.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
BC taking a kickoff to the house made this look a lot closer than it really was.

I think Hervey made a miscalculation with his off-season. If they lose in Edmonton next week the alarm bells will start going off.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Without going into any details, that war with Eric Tillman was truly ugly. Some of those avis would never stand up here-full credit to the HF Board moderators. There has to be a limit.

The perpetrator of those anti-Tillman avis is still somewhat respected over there but for the most part he's moved on from the Eskimos and has been marginalized to the point that he rarely posts. Esksfans is in some ways a shell of its former self but those who are portraying it as a fanboy forum where criticism of the Esks isn't tolerated at all are misrepresenting it.

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
You've got that right.
Got banned for pointing out Hervey wasn’t a god, in fact was often an asshole, and Sean Fleming was clearly posting under a pseudonym in angling for a job. And that was that. Guy running that site is a clown.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Got banned for pointing out Hervey wasn’t a god, in fact was often an *******, and Sean Fleming was clearly posting under a pseudonym in angling for a job. And that was that. Guy running that site is a clown.

To me, the best sites are ones that welcome independent thought and don't have a "clique" mentality. It's all just opinion anyway. Very few posters know any of the Oilers or Eskimos on a personal level.

"Wannabees" don't like it if you criticize their heroes because they live vicariously and are always day dreaming in their basements about being on the field/ice. A lot of the Edmonton media are no better. That's been a big problem with both the Esks and the Oilers for the last 15 years, there is no cool headed assessment of what the problem(s) are. I believe that both Holland and Sunderland are more independent in terms of thought.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Stamps yes but Bowman only had 700 yards that year.

Calvillo was good even when the rest of the team was really average.

I think you are reaching here but thats okay. Dig into the stats on Cavillio and you will see what I am talking about.

The year you highlighted for the Esks as an example of an All star QB with nothing to work with the Esks were 4-14 and Fred Stamps was an all star...you had to back track on that one. :)

Lets say for the sake of argument that you managed to find 1 example of a QB that had a good year despite a poor set of receivers and O-line. That would be an outlier. :nod:

Football is very much a team game...probably more so than any other sport out there. Obviously a QB is important but he cant do it by himself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The perpetrator of those anti-Tillman avis is still somewhat respected over there but for the most part he's moved on from the Eskimos and has been marginalized to the point that he rarely posts. Esksfans is in some ways a shell of its former self but those who are portraying it as a fanboy forum where criticism of the Esks isn't tolerated at all are misrepresenting it.

Not sure if this was directed at me but I will respond anyway.
I think a better way to frame that site is to say that the hivemind is very very strong. If you push back too hard there will be consequences.
I have been on here for 15 years and for the most part I have been on an island with my posts...I have to defend my position of course (sometimes over and over and over :laugh: ) but its tolerated...as it should be.

Thats not the case over there in my experience especially if you push back a little to hard. The Mods over there dont seem to understand the role of a Mod....they just defer to the hivemind.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
ftr I made maybe a dozen posts on Eskfans and then gave up on the board. Seemed very clique oriented and everybody saying they are an insider. It wasn't the right porridge.

Gotta say that people shouldn't be judging Reilly too much on one game in BC and what he's got to work with there. The Esks were playing the AL's the one CFL team that in no way resembles a pro outfit and lets see what happens against better opponents.

I'm fine with Harris. When he's on he's got surgical precision. First game was one of those nights. He's dialed in and right on it. But no club was more night and day then the Red Black with Harris in control. He has games that are just completely out of sync as well. All in all Reilly beat his stats any time out and Reilly is a threat running the ball. You can see as well that Harris is really not good in short yardage situations and blew an easy 3rd down gamble in first game. That didn't get noted, Reilly is automatic on those, and all those things count.

If the Esks don't get their shit together in one week the Leos come in here and roll the Eskimos. I kind of have an impression theres no love lost at this point and the Leos would really want to stomp on the Esks.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
esksfans is no different than any other fan web site. There are factions. I've had far more ridiculous treatment by mods on this site (not our own oilerfan mods but general mods) than on that one.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
ftr I made maybe a dozen posts on Eskfans and then gave up on the board. Seemed very clique oriented and everybody saying they are an insider. It wasn't the right porridge.

Gotta say that people shouldn't be judging Reilly too much on one game in BC and what he's got to work with there. The Esks were playing the AL's the one CFL team that in no way resembles a pro outfit and lets see what happens against better opponents.

I'm fine with Harris. When he's on he's got surgical precision. First game was one of those nights. He's dialed in and right on it. But no club was more night and day then the Red Black with Harris in control. He has games that are just completely out of sync as well. All in all Reilly beat his stats any time out and Reilly is a threat running the ball. You can see as well that Harris is really not good in short yardage situations and blew an easy 3rd down gamble in first game. That didn't get noted, Reilly is automatic on those, and all those things count.

If the Esks don't get their **** together in one week the Leos come in here and roll the Eskimos. I kind of have an impression theres no love lost at this point and the Leos would really want to stomp on the Esks.

Don’t act like Reilly never got stuff on a 3rd down gamble. In fact more often that not during his time here the backup came in for those snaps.

Time to Let It Go.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

If the Esks don't get their **** together in one week the Leos come in here and roll the Eskimos. I kind of have an impression theres no love lost at this point and the Leos would really want to stomp on the Esks.
Lol Rielly has games all the time when he is “out of sync”. He was fantastic here but Jesus Christ he’s not god.

Oh and you say Esks need to get their shit together or they will get rolled next week... BC looked like absolute garbage last night. I could say that they need to get THEIR shit together by next week or get absolutely rolled.

Oh and Mike Rielly with 0 rush yards. The “run threat” really helped.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol Rielly has games all the time when he is “out of sync”. He was fantastic here but Jesus Christ he’s not god.

Oh and you say Esks need to get their **** together or they will get rolled next week... BC looked like absolute garbage last night. I could say that they need to get THEIR **** together by next week or get absolutely rolled.

Agnostic philistine! ;)

Bow before dog..

Just thought it was funny that the life of Reilly here in several posts on this board was being condensed, revisited, revisioned, on the basis of one game.

We all know whats going on here. Reilly not here now so a fanbase suddenly going sourgrapes on him. Seen it before. This is a board dynamic of convincing that all that's gone wasn't that great.

its really fortunate we got Harris. About the only QB in the league that can even compare to Mike Reilly.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Oh and you say Esks need to get their **** together or they will get rolled next week... BC looked like absolute garbage last night. I could say that they need to get THEIR **** together by next week or get absolutely rolled.

I am as big a Reilly fan as anybody and I agree with this. Mike Reilly is absolutely not above being criticized. He isnt the perfect player...not even close.
The problem with Reilly is that he is too stubborn...that is his biggest weakness IMO.
The other issue is that he doesnt release the ball quick enough most of the time. When he does release too quickly his accuracy suffers as a result. That predisposes him to pressure more so than either BL Mitchell or Harris.
I think thats why his game revolves around mid range to long range passing plays...plays that take more time to develop.

As much as I like Mike Reilly in terms of timing this may well be the best time to move on from him. I am very interested to see how Harris does and also to see more of a ball control offence. An offence that is going to maximize TOP and help keep the defence off of the field.
The exact opposite of the offence we watched the last few years.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets keep in mind this was the best Gable game in years, he's usually good for a fumble every 2nd game and has as many starts where he doesn't find any traction.

The worry, obviously after this game is it took a Harris 450yd game (rare) and a CJ Gable 154 yd game (rare) and well over 600yds offense (almost never happens) to barely beat the worst team in the CFL. A team that had no head coach as recently as a week ago.

Until we see anything resembling a defensive performance and a radical overhall of special teams it doesn't matter what the offense churns out. You don't win many games where you lose on two sides of the ball. The worst thing is the D was supposed to be the strength of this club. yet they somehow gave up 25pts against a decimated Als offense that was only on the field 25mins. A potential concern considering the opponent.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think you are reaching here but thats okay. Dig into the stats on Cavillio and you will see what I am talking about.

The year you highlighted for the Esks as an example of an All star QB with nothing to work with the Esks were 4-14 and Fred Stamps was an all star...you had to back track on that one. :)

Lets say for the sake of argument that you managed to find 1 example of a QB that had a good year despite a poor set of receivers and O-line. That would be an outlier. :nod:

Football is very much a team game...probably more so than any other sport out there. Obviously a QB is important but he cant do it by himself.

I already said Reilly had a good year besides wins that season. I specifically said besides wins in my OP.

Let’s see if BLM can throw Eric Rogers into a 1400 yard receiver and Brescasin into a 700 yard receiver like Reilly did with Stamps and Bowman that year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I already said Reilly had a good year besides wins that season. I specifically said besides wins in my OP.

Let’s see if BLM can throw Eric Rogers into a 1400 yard receiver and Brescasin into a 700 yard receiver like Reilly did with Stamps and Bowman that year.

A lot of variables in play here. I dont think its as simplistic as you are portraying.

In any event I actually dont want BLM to succeed....but that doesnt mean that I cant recognize his obvious talent.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A lot of variables in play here. I dont think its as simplistic as you are portraying.

In any event I actually dont want BLM to succeed....but that doesnt mean that I cant recognize his obvious talent.

The variables should be in favour of BLM. The Stamps aren’t a 4-14 team, they have better schemes and coaching, and their offensive line is still better than what the Esks had that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad