Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the comment about him being a person of colour was to note he likely would bring a different point of view and bring a different and needed perspective that the team and league could use.
no more and no less.

and sorry you and moontoscott think the old white man jibe is racist. could have been worded differently but so what? companies and sports teams need more qualified people who represent the diversity we live in.

maybe if you guys asked me to clarify what I was saying instead of immediately seizing something to go into attack mode with, I could have made that clear.

I never attacked you at all nor would I ever do that...my comments were directed at the content of your post.
A person of color as a positive...and old white men as a negative?
Surely you can see how your post could be considered inflammatory.
It (skin color) really shouldnt even be mentioned IMO....I think you would agree that it lends itself to being misinterpreted.

In any event thought I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. After rereading it I reworded my response.
Perhaps my post was poorly worded. Perhaps your post was too.
I think you deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Good for you if you are posting a breaking news story. You deserve credit for that.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
why? he's way more qualified than Rhodes was.

did you actually read the job description? it's a heck of a lot more than just being a football guy. in fact he doesn't have to know anything about football.

https://optimumtalent.com/opportuni...utive-officer-edmonton-eskimos-football-club/

you have a very successful, young, person of colour. you'd rather have another old white man who interfered in things he knew nothing about?

and he may be a guy that wants his kids to grow up with a good sense of their Canadian identity and also perhaps be close to aging parents.

we'll soon see, as it won't be too long now until the position is filled.
Sure, but he's over qualified is the problem. Guys don't generally go from billion dollar operations to whatever the CFL is.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Sure, but he's over qualified is the problem. Guys don't generally go from billion dollar operations to whatever the CFL is.

but timing of the job being available could be right if he does want to come back for family reasons. if he's coming back anyway, it would be a good challenge and driven people would likely want to keep busy.

I would like to know why Daryl's nose thinks it's a joke and doesn't make sense on so many levels.

I admit it seems a bit out of left field, but I don't think it's inconceivable.

makes more sense than moontoscott's preference to have an ex football player.

If you read the job description, how many ex football players really would qualify? sure they know about playing football, but the successful applicant isn't supposed to have much to do with football operations.

"Football Operations: Ensure the football operations have the resources, structure and focus to field a team which is competitive and has the opportunity to compete for the Grey Cup every year"

in fact he's supposed to "Empower management to field a competitive football team that is in contention to win the Grey Cup."

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is this just you making a guess or do you have some intel. Doesn't appear that he has even lived in Canada for some time and seems fairly well set up in his current role so I'm not sure why he'd come back. Apparently he is a fan though as he was cheering for them during the Grey Cup 2015 on Twitter.

While its nice that he is a fan this person doesnt at all seem like a good fit for the football side of things.

IMO this should be a dual role. One man for Football Operations and one for the Business side/marketing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
but timing of the job being available could be right if he does want to come back for family reasons. if he's coming back anyway, it would be a good challenge and driven people would likely want to keep busy.

I would like to know why Daryl's nose thinks it's a joke and doesn't make sense on so many levels.

I admit it seems a bit out of left field, but I don't think it's inconceivable.

makes more sense than moontoscott's preference to have an ex football player.

If you read the job description, how many ex football players really would qualify? sure they know about playing football, but the successful applicant isn't supposed to have much to do with football operations.

"Football Operations: Ensure the football operations have the resources, structure and focus to field a team which is competitive and has the opportunity to compete for the Grey Cup every year"

in fact he's supposed to "Empower management to field a competitive football team that is in contention to win the Grey Cup."

My biggest concern is as long as he is apart of One Championship this would always be second for him.

Rather a guy that is fully committed to us.

Although let me guess. The next news I'll read is that Bellator or UFC has bought them out?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
for what it's worth, I believe Mr. Cui is will be in town this week in regards to the position, and will be at the game Friday.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Esks pulling out all the stops to get butts in the seats this Friday.

Here’s a list of people that will be at that game:

Shannon Sharpe
Damon Allen
Brandon Zylstra
Kenny Ladler

Plus they’re doing some summer solstice party after the game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Shannon Sharpe
Damon Allen
Brandon Zylstra
Kenny Ladler

Who gives a crap about any of these except Damon Allen? Had to look up the two NFL players as I hardly follow that league and could care less about seeing any of its players. Zylstra I would care about if he was catching balls here.

No way I'm going at this point. Esks are in clear show me land. Show me something. Too much conflicted feelings to want to see the team take on Reilly at this point.

I'll enjoy summer solstice out on the deck and in my sunset facing sun room. With my bar close at hand.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

Shannon Sharpe
Damon Allen
Brandon Zylstra
Kenny Ladler
This is "pulling out all the stops to get butts in the seats"? It sounds more to me like something a football team would mention on their social media, etc. that would be of slight interest to their fans. Oh yeah, that's all it's supposed to be. Let's move on.

They're selling the Spirit of Edmonton's famous sluice juice in the stadium for the first time too! How dare the Eskimos try something different (for them) that could actually be kinda fun if the weather's decent. Don't worry cynics, it probably won't be so you'll be able to write this all off as another fail. Good thing you didn't see that they're bringing back the dogs at half time so you can bleat about how desperate they are when in fact it's actually really nice-to-hear news to those of us who still go to the games. They have to do something at half-time, geniuses! Finally, imagine how much howling you'd be doing if they were't announcing anything to help hype a match-up that actually sort of of sells itself if you think about it.

They're doing everything but lowering ticket prices.
ZING! Wow, you really got 'em with that one, DP. All I can say is that I still get to see 10 live pro football games this year for just under $300 when I renew my season seats. At <$30 a game myself and my 5 fellow seat holders don't feel we're being ripped off despite the myriad of things to complain about (including the all-too crucial performance of the team itself on the field at times) while spending time outside watching the highest level of live pro football available to us here in Edmonton. I get complaining about Oilers' ticket prices based on results alone (I dropped my mini-pack 2 seasons ago) but the Esks for the most part have been comparatively successful since the disastrous 4W 14L 2013 season in which they won just once at home. The Eskimos are a highly imperfect community-owned business who are in a mostly self-induced downward cycle re. fan support right now. The truth is that lots of people have already voted against them with their feet. I believe it's very unfair and just plain dumb to piss on their early efforts to try to win back ticket-buying fans. Based on cost alone, I find DP's little comment to be way more suitable for the Oilers than the Eskimos. Of course that's just me being a green & gold Kool-Aid drinking die-hard, right guys?

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Shannon Sharpe
Damon Allen
Brandon Zylstra
Kenny Ladler

They want people to show up, they better start making a dome.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
They want people to show up, they better start making a dome.

The Esks have had just the worst luck with weather for like about 10 years. We can have a week and a half of great weather but the esks are on the road and when they get home the forecast goes all to hell

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is "pulling out all the stops to get butts in the seats"? It sounds more to me like something a football team would mention on their social media, etc. that would be of slight interest to their fans. Oh yeah, that's all it's supposed to be. Let's move on.

They're selling the Spirit of Edmonton's famous sluice juice in the stadium for the first time too! How dare the Eskimos try something different (for them) that could actually be kinda fun if the weather's decent. Don't worry cynics, it probably won't be so you'll be able to write this all off as another fail. Good thing you didn't see that they're bringing back the dogs at half time so you can bleat about how desperate they are when in fact it's actually really nice-to-hear news to those of us who still go to the games. They have to do something at half-time, geniuses! Finally, imagine how much howling you'd be doing if they were't announcing anything to help hype a match-up that actually sort of of sells itself if you think about it.

ZING! Wow, you really got 'em with that one, DP. All I can say is that I still get to see 10 live pro football games this year for just under $300 when I renew my season seats. At <$30 a game myself and my 5 fellow seat holders don't feel we're being ripped off despite the myriad of things to complain about (including the all-too crucial performance of the team itself on the field at times) while spending time outside watching the highest level of live pro football available to us here in Edmonton. I get complaining about Oilers' ticket prices based on results alone (I dropped my mini-pack 2 seasons ago) but the Esks for the most part have been comparatively successful since the disastrous 4W 14L 2013 season in which they won just once at home. The Eskimos are a highly imperfect community-owned business who are in a mostly self-induced downward cycle re. fan support right now. The truth is that lots of people have already voted against them with their feet. I believe it's very unfair and just plain dumb to piss on their early efforts to try to win back ticket-buying fans. Based on cost alone, I find DP's little comment to be way more suitable for the Oilers than the Eskimos. Of course that's just me being a green & gold Kool-Aid drinking die-hard, right guys?

Myself I don't mind the promotions so far this season. Tom Cochrane is solid.

But with the STH pricing how do you get just under 300bucks when everybody else see's 332bucks. You don't mean knothole do you? Those are hard to sell tickets being in the corners, behind the endzone, and very difficult to watch a game from. Very poor quality seats. Next, the Esks keep quoting 11 games which is misleading. 1 game is Exhibition, another is Junior Football. So only 9 games that are meaningful. Although fans have no option on a price discount just to see the 9 games. So to me that works out more like 36.6bucks per game. Of course the Oilers are more experience. In the NHL you're seeing the best players in the world, and more of the world plays Hockey. In the CFL you're seeing players almost exclusively not good enough for the NFL and when they are they don't stay here long. Additionally as a fan you're seeing another league with joke officiating, and often times bad management and coaching. Any given weekend you'll see a product where you wonder what the coaches do with the players all preseason and all week every week.

When you see a guy like Robinson run the ball out of the Endzone to the half yard line, and then get stuffed back to the endzone. You wonder if one coach mentioned to him or the team, to NEVER do this in that situation. Plays like that leave me cold. To me it makes it look like I'm seeing an amateur run product.

Been following the league for 50yrs and its losing me as a fan. Not just the Eskimos. The whole league. The chronic Toronto, Vancouver indifference. The Montreal gongshow. The aborted Atlantic Canada expansion.

In anycase a lot of people don't buy STH. So the bottom for pricing is around 45bucks/ticket unless one goes with the corner discounted promotions, which are continually less of a discount to bother.

Lets see. 31 bucks for a bad seat to what has become a pretty bad product. Most people pass. The product has deteriorated vastly because the CFL has immense difficulty retaining quality players it gets. They throw the bank roll at QB's in desperate attempts to retain but not much left. The Caps are not competitive.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Any news on some of the guys on the one game IR? Collins and Stafford had big games last week, so I wonder who Daniels would replace in the lineup when healthy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really don't care about the pricing of tickets. What are they going to drop 5 bucks? That's really not going to be the make it or break it for me.

As well as the halftime crap. There isn't one sporting event I go to that I'm sitting in my seats during an intermission or half-time. I'm either grabbing a beer or making a bathroom break.

For me if I'm around I'll go to games. If the Esks want me to change some of my spending habits so that I actually go out of my way to change my plans it's rather simple. Win.

I see Tom Cochrane was like by Drivesaitl and I suspect there were a lot of people that like him, but Tom Cochrane isn't going to bring new fans to the game. They want fans, force parents to go by giving kids tickets for free at school. Can't give tickets away at schools in July and August then team up with camps or rec center programs around the City, so that kids are still getting these tickets. We had so many kids growing up that went to football games because we had free tickets through school. The parents would take turns taking a bunch of us out to the games and it was a blast. I had friends who didn't necessarily like football, but they enjoyed going. Some kids really just liked going because their parents would give them 10 bucks to spend on junk food. In hindsight it was also a real good way for parents to meet each other as well.

Maybe the other thing they do is take a page out of the Trappers book. They use to have games going on during the game, so if you weren't that interested there was something to do. I remember the guess your pitch usually resulted in you getting free tickets. Can't tell me in a place that big they can't setup an area or two where kids are throwing a football into a tire or something.

Reactions: abootzky

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Any news on some of the guys on the one game IR? Collins and Stafford had big games last week, so I wonder who Daniels would replace in the lineup when healthy.

Daniels and Jackson are back in replacing Elliott and Robinson, the other three still out. The bad news though is that both Unamba and Orange have been 6-gamed, which brings in Brian Walker and Nick Taylor on defense. The other small change ins Alex Taylor in for McMaster in the depth FB/special teams role.

Reactions: nabob

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Who hurt you?

I'm talking about single-game tickets.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is Daniels contractually injured. I pretty much forgot about him already. Imagine a player with such chronic injury history going to a new club and promptly getting injured before he even played.

I wonder if we get 10 games out of this guy.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Daniels and Jackson are back in replacing Elliott and Robinson, the other three still out. The bad news though is that both Unamba and Orange have been 6-gamed, which brings in Brian Walker and Nick Taylor on defense. The other small change ins Alex Taylor in for McMaster in the depth FB/special teams role.

I just saw they have their depth chart out early. Jackson will sure help the return game. Did Elliot even make the game roster last week or was he one of the scratches? I think Daniels might have to wait until Stafford/Collins play falters a bit to see the field. He’s listed behind Stafford on the depth chart, although sometimes that’s just a smokescreen.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I just saw they have their depth chart out early. Jackson will sure help the return game. Did Elliot even make the game roster last week or was he one of the scratches? I think Daniels might have to wait until Stafford/Collins play falters a bit to see the field. He’s listed behind Stafford on the depth chart, although sometimes that’s just a smokescreen.

I can't recall for sure, but I think you're correct that Elliott was the eventual scratch, but he was on the 46-player depth chart. Not sure how that impacts Daniels coming in though as all the american receivers played well last week. But I'm counting 8 national for starters so he could spell off Smith for a couple series provided there are no injuries to any other national starter.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I can't recall for sure, but I think you're correct that Elliott was the eventual scratch, but he was on the 46-player depth chart. Not sure how that impacts Daniels coming in though as all the american receivers played well last week. But I'm counting 8 national for starters so he could spell off Smith for a couple series provided there are no injuries to any other national starter.
Maybe that’s the plan, although some other American backup would have to sit if it was Elliot who didn’t dress last game. I bet they scratch Daniels this week and keep the same game day roster similar to last weeks setup. It’s not often you see an import receiver dressed as a backup in the CFL.

It’s good to have some depth and the tough roster decisions that come with it.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Unamba and Orange both going on the 6-game...this franchise is bloody cursed. We signed five big-name free agents, and four are injured. Three of them long term. How does the same franchise just get destroyed with injuries two weeks into the season every god damn year...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I really don't care about the pricing of tickets. What are they going to drop 5 bucks? That's really not going to be the make it or break it for me.

As well as the halftime crap. There isn't one sporting event I go to that I'm sitting in my seats during an intermission or half-time. I'm either grabbing a beer or making a bathroom break.

For me if I'm around I'll go to games. If the Esks want me to change some of my spending habits so that I actually go out of my way to change my plans it's rather simple. Win.

I see Tom Cochrane was like by Drivesaitl and I suspect there were a lot of people that like him, but Tom Cochrane isn't going to bring new fans to the game. They want fans, force parents to go by giving kids tickets for free at school. Can't give tickets away at schools in July and August then team up with camps or rec center programs around the City, so that kids are still getting these tickets. We had so many kids growing up that went to football games because we had free tickets through school. The parents would take turns taking a bunch of us out to the games and it was a blast. I had friends who didn't necessarily like football, but they enjoyed going. Some kids really just liked going because their parents would give them 10 bucks to spend on junk food. In hindsight it was also a real good way for parents to meet each other as well.

Maybe the other thing they do is take a page out of the Trappers book. They use to have games going on during the game, so if you weren't that interested there was something to do. I remember the guess your pitch usually resulted in you getting free tickets. Can't tell me in a place that big they can't setup an area or two where kids are throwing a football into a tire or something.
Lots of really good suggestions here.

It seems, to me, that growing the fan base through kids is a no brainer. I’m still amazed somebody in that organization ever thought it was a good idea to stop giving kids a free ticket on the last day of school. It was 50,000 freebies but at least that many sold that wouldn’t have been otherwise. You could probably trace the sharp decline in attendance back to that decision. Get the kids in the building when they’re young and show them they can have fun and they’ll want to come back. If they never go, they’ll never know. That decision cost them a generation of fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad