Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v2

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sounds like you are paying pretty close attention to the game...its only been 3 quarters but what are your thoughts on the similarities between the BC offence and the Esks offence of last season?

It's looked really similar. Zero effort to establish the run, basically just an air show, and after a bit of early success they've gone quiet.

Reilly has hit on 6 passes of 20+ yards, but a significant majority of the rest of the plays have been negative.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Reilly has always had a strong group of receivers though. Calvillo had one of the best O-lines in the CFL for most of his career. Defences couldnt get at him.

His first year he had an older Fred Stamps with Bowman and a bunch of replacement level guys.

Calvillo was good even when Montreal had an average O-line later in his career.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's looked really similar. Zero effort to establish the run, basically just an air show, and after a bit of early success they've gone quiet.

Reilly has hit on 6 passes of 20+ yards, but a significant majority of the rest of the plays have been negative.

Interesting...you and @Cloned are pretty much seeing the same thing.
Makes me wonder just how much Reilly was driving the offensive philosophy. Maybe he was a bigger influence that I thought.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Interesting...you and @Cloned are pretty much seeing the same thing.
Makes me wonder just how much Reilly was driving the offensive philosophy. Maybe he was a bigger influence that I thought.

If the shoe fits. ;)

I love it when reality fits our narrative. :)

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
His first year he had an older Fred Stamps with Bowman and a bunch of replacement level guys.

Calvillo was good even when Montreal had an average O-line later in his career.

Bowman and Stamps were pretty effective receivers back then. Cavillo struggled at first...became better once the O-line improved.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think BLM is going to have his worst season in the league because he no longer has the receiver and O-line depth that he had in the past.

Yeah, they've had a lot of guys retire from that O-line the last couple years. Erdos out for the season is a killer. They were alright in pass protection I thought, but sure couldn't open any holes for Jackson. I figured 11 wins for them this year...hopefully I'm off...by 11 haha.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, they've had a lot of guys retire from that O-line the last couple years. Erdos out for the season is a killer. They were alright in pass protection I thought, but sure couldn't open any holes for Jackson. I figured 11 wins for them this year...hopefully I'm off...by 11 haha.

BLM has never been a great stats guy and this year might be his worst.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bowman and Stamps were pretty effective receivers back then. Cavillo struggled at first...became better once the O-line improved.

Stamps yes but Bowman only had 700 yards that year.

Calvillo was good even when the rest of the team was really average.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think just this one.
The esksfans site is more of a koolaid site. I appreciate being positive (I really do) but that site is a little much IMO.
Posted there about Maas and his poor decision making and they were having none of it... I was gang tackled. :laugh:

EDIT: I should mention that there are plenty of very knowledgeable football posters on that site. There just doesnt seem to be much of an appetite for posters that are a little too critical of the Eskimos regardless of how accurate it is.
But you were gangtackled by esks, so you got away right?

Reactions: guymez

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Wow...

BC had 4 rushing attempts tonight.

They had about 60 yards of total offense and 0 points after the 5 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

Veeeeerry interesting.

Reactions: bone

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Wow...

BC had 4 rushing attempts tonight.

They had about 60 yards of total offense and 0 points after the 5 minute mark of the 3rd quarter.

Veeeeerry interesting.

Second half Esks of last year. I remember we had like 5 straight games where we scored a total of like 14 points in the second half or something stupid like that.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Yeah I remember that. Sorry I should have clarified.

I was wondering why this game made him re-think whytes comments.

Perhaps Reilly was the guy who had to leave. It looks as though he's brought the same brand of hope-and-a-prayer gunslinging that slowed down the Esks last year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah I remember that. Sorry I should have clarified.

I was wondering why this game made him re-think whytes comments.

Because Reilly and Duke leave and suddenly Mass reverts to a more logical ball control offense.

Meanwhile the Lions play exactly like the Esks did last year.

Reactions: bone

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The last 5 minutes looked like the 2018 Esks playing in Lions uniforms.

Not much running game, a passing drill with the Winnipeg backs dropping deep into coverage. Some near misses, a few good completions but in the end not a close game and a well deserved loss.

Reilly also took a few big hits and was often throwing into double coverage. They are by-products of his slower release style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad