Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
At some point though, there must be a re-election for the president of the board, and that would be the chance any board members that are dissenting to go in a different direction, if enough are of the same thought.

These clowns need to know that any decision they make now, has the possibility to have a dramatic effect on the bottom line next year, which will not be Grey Cup protected, revenue-wise. I hear rumblings from several STHer friends about non-renewal considerations, and I'm sure where there is smoke, there will be fire. A drop of thousands of loyal fans will be sure to perk some ears up.

I sure hope you are right and that my skepticism about BOD members is unwarranted- we'll see. The last 15 years with EE boards hasn't been too reassuring. "Our Danny"-- "Our Kavis" etc. etc. -wimpy grandmother stuff. Maybe Len can read all the fans a bed time story and tuck them in for a nap.

As for attendance, there has been a consistent 4-5% leak on an annual basis for a long time now and I expect that it might be down 10% next year without the GC carrot. It's a tough problem to fix once it has been left too long.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just don't get how stupid a board can be though. It's one thing if we make a lot of money this year and we didn't have the grey cup, but if the revenue from the grey cup is what is making us the money then someone should be smart enough to speak up.

You don't understand board hubris very well.

Most CEO's, and board people (and multiple of these people have been on several boards and would likely continue to be) are functioning as much on self serving reputation priorities as they are on ACTUALLY looking at bottom lines and success objectively. The basic game is to give effusive praise to your own tenure as long as nobody is questioning it and to parlay that on CV's to support further CEO, board positions. So that its rigged positioning. A person could read the annual assessments of any org they want and including Northlands and its all wine and roses every day, always reporting on supposed success during the incumbency.

Its non critical evaluation, its nonstop positive evaluation and self back slapping. That's what goes on in these boards and annual reports. Again, I've linked them several times, people should read them.

The fortunate thing is that most CEO's, boards, are answerable to shareholders, third party review, investors, corollaries etc. This is not really the case with the Eskimos. They are not receiving nearly the feedback they arguably should in shareholders meetings, or from media, or from fanbase or online.

I've often stated that the Eskimos community org has gone rogue in these times. They are given to different sentiments now. They evaluate on basis of what their community endeavors have been, not on what on field performance and results has been. Albeit Rhodes will mention the 2015 GC win that was due to Jones and Hervey (and the players) primarily any chance he gets. To that end that Grey Cup win puts the CEO, and BOG in false stead they don't really deserve. Especially given the two most prominent personnel in that run are not here and one was fired.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Thanks PB-- I enjoyed the article, especially the line where Maas says "give us back six plays on the year" and it would all be different. I'm sure that every coach in every sports league in any given season would say the same. I wonder if there was one particular play Jason would like back out of the six? I can think of one in B.C.

There is one from last year that also stands out. It was quite memorable.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Lol, not a big surprise. We didn’t expect Maas or Sunderland to be fired anyway, most thought the organization would stick its head in the sand just like they did after last season. I thought it was pretty telling when they shipped out veterans after last season. Those were guys who’ve been around and know how a team is supposed to be run. I think we’ll see more of that this offseason. They’re not going to admit it publicly but it has gotten out there are players that don’t believe in Maas. They know who they are and they’ll be weeded out so Jason gets another fresh start.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Thanks PB-- I enjoyed the article, especially the line where Maas says "give us back six plays on the year" and it would all be different. I'm sure that every coach in every sports league in any given season would say the same. I wonder if there was one particular play Jason would like back out of the six? I can think of one in B.C.

The irony is that it probably was six games and not just six plays where Maas’ coaching cost the team wins. I found it amusing he wanted to be clear about that. I think he was being pretty generous to himself there. He was out coached a lot. Bad decisions just compounded his problems.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
should be interesting (funny? sad?) to see the attendance for the final game of the year

I hope 500 people show up

I have a ticket and am still going. don't want to completely throw my money away. will likely boo and leave at halftime if the game quality sucks.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
should be interesting (funny? sad?) to see the attendance for the final game of the year

I hope 500 people show up
They definitely shouldn’t have put their Santa’s Anonymous toy drive on a game that means literally nothing, at the end of a disastrous season (hindsight being 20/20 and all that).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They definitely shouldn’t have put their Santa’s Anonymous toy drive on a game that means literally nothing, at the end of a disastrous season (hindsight being 20/20 and all that).

Oh snap, so much for their community endeavor. Do a Toy drive on the day that nobody wants to go to the game. I bet they figured there would be passionate enthusiasm and playoff expectations under the tree at this time of year.

A bit weird the only November game is November 3. This would have to be the earliest in a longtime an Esks season has closed out.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Oh snap, so much for their community endeavor. Do a Toy drive on the day that nobody wants to go to the game. I bet they figured there would be passionate enthusiasm and playoff expectations under the tree at this time of year.

A bit weird the only November game is November 3. This would have to be the earliest in a longtime an Esks season has closed out.

Not weird at all. There's been Novembers with no home games at all. Especially since we stopped the playoff streak 10 or so years ago. Usually depends on whether Week 20 (final week in previous years) was a home game or a road game or in 2015s case a bye.

I remember one year the final game was October 18. Remember it because it was my wife's birthday.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

They're called "excuses", and in any competent organization, they mean squat.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Guys it was super predictable yet everyone thought Maas would be gone.

Its pretty clear he kissed the right amount of ass with the bosses upstairs. The disappointing thing is that Reilly like such a useless coach and its the only way to keep him in Edmonton. Not as great of a leader as we assumed when the locker room hates Maas.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
All of this "still has the room" stuff is laughable. Players might like you but it has to translate into actual wins and strong playoff runs.

People said the same thing about Kavis and Danny. Everybody around the organization "liked them."

In 2013 Kavis was still supposedly revered around the dressing room but the result was a disastrous 4-14 year.

Players don't get to pick the coach, even if you are an MOP.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not weird at all. There's been Novembers with no home games at all. Especially since we stopped the playoff streak 10 or so years ago. Usually depends on whether Week 20 (final week in previous years) was a home game or a road game or in 2015s case a bye.

I remember one year the final game was October 18. Remember it because it was my wife's birthday.
Which makes me ask another question. How much money are losing every year by not having a home playoff game? Last home game had close to 35k in the playoffs. Seems to me that's a good chunk of change that we aren't seeing on the income statement either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All of this "still has the room" stuff is laughable. Players might like you but it has to translate into actual wins and strong playoff runs.

People said the same thing about Kavis and Danny. Everybody around the organization "liked them."

In 2013 Kavis was still supposedly revered around the dressing room but the result was a disastrous 4-14 year.

Players don't get to pick the coach, even if you are an MOP.
It's really simple they need to talk to Reilly. If Reilly signs and says he wants him back then bring him back.

Sunderland said no decisions will be made until after the season is done. I sure hope that's the standpoint he's still taking.

I just wonder if Rhodes isn't allowing him to fire Maas do to him having a new contract and not wanting to pay another coach.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's really simple they need to talk to Reilly. If Reilly signs and says he wants him back then bring him back.

Sunderland said no decisions will be made until after the season is done. I sure hope that's the standpoint he's still taking.

I just wonder if Rhodes isn't allowing him to fire Maas do to him having a new contract and not wanting to pay another coach.

Not simple at all. If Reilly wants Maas back, then goodbye to both of them. Maas has proven that even with an MOP player, his own incompetence still outweighs that for any kind of success.

Reactions: Gord

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Not simple at all. If Reilly wants Maas back, then goodbye to both of them. Maas has proven that even with an MOP player, his own incompetence still outweighs that for any kind of success.

Exactly, you can't let the inmates run the asylum. Coach is one of the most important positions in the sport of football, probably THE most important in fact. It's impossible to succeed with Jason Maas as a head coach, and it has been proven for 3 failed seasons in a row.

There is some good news: 3-Down Nation is reporting via Arash Madani that Sunderland has in fact already begun kicking tires on new coaches.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Exactly, you can't let the inmates run the asylum. Coach is one of the most important positions in the sport of football, probably THE most important in fact. It's impossible to succeed with Jason Maas as a head coach, and it has been proven for 3 failed seasons in a row.

There is some good news: 3-Down Nation is reporting via Arash Madani that Sunderland has in fact already begun kicking tires on new coaches.

I agree with what you are saying but what complicates this IMO is that if the Esks say goodbye to Maas then they can say goodbye to Reilly as well.

Maas has clearly proven that he isnt head coach material.
So in order to get the League MOP to remain an Eskimo we have to put up with a sub par coach like Maas who couldnt think his way through a double set of revolving doors.

Sad state of affairs IMO.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I agree with what you are saying but what complicates this IMO is that if the Esks say goodbye to Maas then they can say goodbye to Reilly as well.

Maas has clearly proven that he isnt head coach material.
So in order to get the League MOP to remain an Eskimo we have to put up with a sub par coach like Maas who couldnt think his way through a double set of revolving doors.

Sad state of affairs IMO.

You can probably "make it work" by forcing Maas to relinquish the title of OC (in practice, not just figuratively) and give it to someone who can actually run a ball control offense. This is NOT ideal of course, but it probably would be enough to keep Reilly here.

The other option is to fire Maas and offer BLM 1M in salary.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We lose Reilly we are in big trouble. Could have the best coach in football, but it won't matter while we try run an offense with what is more than likely going to be a rotating qb year after year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I'm not really understanding this point. To counter the false platitudes (that sound good but are not actually the case) players do, often enough, run the asylum in pro sports and often enough coaches get fired do to disputes, disagreements with star players.

Players also often have significant input on how team schemes are set and often should, as they are the ones executing it. Only top down management (which is archaic and ineffective) ignores player input. Successful orgs and team utilize player input. The Oilers went to the SCF in 2006 with a Pronger heavy scheme. It was unlike any coaching direction of MacT before or after. Just before the playoffs started the Oilers were playing completely differently in NZ, peeling back differently, numbers back, side pressure locks. Everything looked different. It stunned the Detroit Red wings and the next two opponents who had not seen the oilers play a lockdown counter scheme.

I'm not sure where this is coming from anyway. Reilly gave Maas a vote of confidence last season that was undeserved. He defended his head coach and even the bizarre call that was obviously wrong. So Maas got his get out of jail card from Reilly, and the org. If Reilly was saying something different after this season (and I doubt he would) I would listen to it. On the basis of results Maas doesn't deserve to be here.
Reilly is the Michael Jordan of this team, and league, and clearly. If theres a direction he wants, in order to stay here I would at least listen to it.

This team is the worst team in the league without Mike Reilly. A team not even worth watching. Think about how bad this past season would have been without another 5500passing Yds from Reilly or him rushing for a TD/game, or him rushing for around 700 yds or him getting around 60 first downs on gambles. I wouldn't even want to see what this season looked like with Glenn in charge of the offense.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You can probably "make it work" by forcing Maas to relinquish the title of OC (in practice, not just figuratively) and give it to someone who can actually run a ball control offense. This is NOT ideal of course, but it probably would be enough to keep Reilly here.

The other option is to fire Maas and offer BLM 1M in salary.

You should have given a spoiler warning for offensively disturbing material that may traumatize sensitive viewers.

OK. Disclosure. I HATE BLM. Smarmy f***, shit eating grin, Calgary Stampeder, If I was a player I would take unsportsmanlike penalties gladly just to clobber him (which I suspect is not an isolated appeal..)

I would vomit uncontrollably if BLM was our QB. I would be Glenn Hall before every game. I would have to avoid eating within 12hrs of a game just to be on the safer side.

There, I released the Kraken Curmudgeon.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm not really understanding this point. To counter the false platitudes (that sound good but are not actually the case) players do, often enough, run the asylum in pro sports and often enough coaches get fired do to disputes, disagreements with star players.

Players also often have significant input on how team schemes are set and often should, as they are the ones executing it. Only top down management (which is archaic and ineffective) ignores player input. Successful orgs and team utilize player input. The Oilers went to the SCF in 2006 with a Pronger heavy scheme. It was unlike any coaching direction of MacT before or after. Just before the playoffs started the Oilers were playing completely differently in NZ, peeling back differently, numbers back, side pressure locks. Everything looked different. It stunned the Detroit Red wings and the next two opponents who had not seen the oilers play a lockdown counter scheme.

I'm not sure where this is coming from anyway. Reilly gave Maas a vote of confidence last season that was undeserved. He defended his head coach and even the bizarre call that was obviously wrong. So Maas got his get out of jail card from Reilly, and the org. If Reilly was saying something different after this season (and I doubt he would) I would listen to it. On the basis of results Maas doesn't deserve to be here.
Reilly is the Michael Jordan of this team, and league, and clearly. If theres a direction he wants, in order to stay here I would at least listen to it.

This team is the worst team in the league without Mike Reilly. A team not even worth watching. Think about how bad this past season would have been without another 5500passing Yds from Reilly or him rushing for a TD/game, or him rushing for around 700 yds or him getting around 60 first downs on gambles. I wouldn't even want to see what this season looked like with Glenn in charge of the offense.

The point is that IF it is true that Reilly will only re-sign if Maas is retained, you have to bid farewell to both of them unfortunately. This isn't a situation where you're forced to retain a mediocre coach to keep the franchise QB happy. That can and does happen. Maas does not fit into the "mediocre" category. He is orders of magnitude worse.

If Reilly wants him to continue leading the football club, I would seriously question his desire to win. Which is why it really makes no sense, because we see the effort on the football field, and clearly Reilly wants to win. My hope and suspicion is that this is just somebody in the organization throwing out fake news in hopes that the fanbase will either: A) accept Maas returning as HC because it supposedly guaranteed Reilly re-signing, or B) accept that Reilly leaving in free agency was unavoidable since keeping Maas around would have been sheer lunacy. Sneaky damage-control preparations by the Rhodent and co. would not surprise me one iota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad