Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v4

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree, I just don’t think it should be used as a scapegoat. The offense was a no show again. That’s a bigger reason for the loss.
Can’t pin it on him, but Reilly was very pedestrian again. I thought the O-line gave him pretty good protection today but he looked rattled. For a guy that’s built a rep as the CFL comeback king, he failed in that department for the 4th game in a row.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Everything Collaros does always looks so choppy to me. Just the way he moves. Idk what it is about him.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
SSK strikes first.

Little nicer weather in Toronto - they could have played in the snow in Regina.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hard to imagine a worse QB in this league than the lawyer guy playing for the Argos.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m actually starting to dislike Gable.

Join the club. This is at least the 4th lost ball Fumble by him this season. Abominable.

Add to the list that as brilliant a receiver as Williams is he again cost us huge late in the game not getting a grab near the goal line and instead popping the ball up for the pick. That was the swing play of the game.
What was Williams even doing there, trying to catch the ball with his arm? Zylstra makes that catch in that situation all the time. Bowman would make that catch in that situation.

Disconnected but I've never seen Reilly more incensed then he was walking off the field after that play. Not sure why but he was steaming.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, the game notes for the Eskimo contest look similar to past editions:

- 8 points in the second half, usually not enough to win a CFL game.

-No ball control offence or long sustained drives, the hallmark of past EE clubs since the days of Tom Wilkinson.

- One of the most unimaginative offenses I've seen in EE history. Try something else, like maybe a good old fashioned sweep, a double reverse, a flea flicker, some draw plays or some fakes. Maybe try some running plays with pulling guards headed outside to the wide side of the field instead of always running up the gut. Our head coach is an ex-QB and ex- offensive coordinator so you would think that a varied offensive attack would be the most important trait in the team's character but its just not so.

- Defence just wasn't good enough when they absolutely had to be. Lots of missed tackles. We simply have to find someone better at that safety position. There must be a capable Canadian somewhere. Is Trent Brown still living in the Edmonton area? Can John Farlinger still leg it out?

-Very little confidence in the field goal unit. 45 yards seems to be max.

-Mitchell, Hazelton and Williams were bright spots as was Jackson but he needs some blocks to help him out. When do you finally make a statement by getting a new special teams coordinator, if only to make a point that if you can't deliver, you can't stay with the team. It's not a charity event.

-Reilly was very ordinary in the game.

-Boateng has been our best defensive player in 2018.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
BS. End over end ball drilled a million miles an hour from short distance. Not the first time. The Duke has the best set of mitts in the league. That pass has to be thrown low.

You defend this receiver EVERY time.

Just in a few posts I see you fail to spot the Duke infraction on the sidelines that other people spotted. Then predictably its Reillys fault Duke instead of catching the ball spikes it up for a pick. Ridiculous nonsense to say that one was Reillys fault. Not surprised though. This has been your take for years.

The ball wasn't end over end either. There was nothing at all wrong with that throw. Duke lost concentration on that play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lol of the game. Esks 3rd down gamble. Deep in own end. Still a game. Reilly is getting sack and so he intentionally fumbles the ball forward. One of the Esks lineman who was busy blocking nothing on the play as Reilly was gang tackled jumps on the ball forgetting, apparently that it was 3rd down and that its game over as soon as he doesn't try to advance that ball or do something.

Reilly even has the presense of mind to try to make something happen there and the Lineman obviously not on the same page. jebus just kick the fumbled ball forward or something.

Without advancing a stereotype that O lineman are denser than wood sometimes you gotta wonder.

On a football team stuff like that pisses you off because you know the O line wasn't even thinking there about what the situation was.

I'm like WTF are you doing!? Get up!. Guy just falls on the ball like he's a done a favor or something..

Last edited:
Reactions: The Batman

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They’ve been really bad but they were really bad for both teams. If teams kept challenges for every call the officials missed instead of just one and done we might miss the first half of the Riders game. There were missed calls every other play. I don’t know how the league can improve their on field officiating but a suggestion might be younger guys who can keep up with the play. Andre Proulx is rightly criticized every game he does. He needs to be retired at the end of the year at the latest.

Proulx has been a joke for 10 years. Today was incredibly one-sided though. The Duke non-TD/non PI was totally insane, as was Ottawa getting an extra 2 yards on a spot that led to their only TD. Two enormous officiating mistakes swung 10 points.

As I said after the loss in BC and the loss in Hamilton...we didn't play great. More specifically the offense was utter trash, as usual. But in spite of that all, we win the game without horrendously bad officiating going against us at multiple key times in the game. We're 7-6 and probably crossing over. We're 10-3 and fighting for 1st if we don't get jammed three times. Why is it that other teams get let off the hook, yet we need to play a perfect bloody game if we're going to overcome horseshit reffing? Calgary has turned in several mediocre wins this year, imagine if three of them got snatched away.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Can’t pin it on him, but Reilly was very pedestrian again. I thought the O-line gave him pretty good protection today but he looked rattled. For a guy that’s built a rep as the CFL comeback king, he failed in that department for the 4th game in a row.

yeah, too bad Reilly can't throw AND catch the ball. That would work better...

Stafford was a clown show today. Mitchell, normally good, slipped 3 times trying to make a cut, Hazelton ordinary. None of Reillys targets really had it going today and after another bonzo GAble fumble the Esks didn't trust the run game much either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, the game notes for the Eskimo contest look similar to past editions:

- 8 points in the second half, usually not enough to win a CFL game.

-No ball control offence or long sustained drives, the hallmark of past EE clubs since the days of Tom Wilkinson.

- One of the most unimaginative offenses I've seen in EE history. Try something else, like maybe a good old fashioned sweep, a double reverse, a flea flicker, some draw plays or some fakes. Maybe try some running plays with pulling guards headed outside to the wide side of the field instead of always running up the gut. Our head coach is an ex-QB and ex- offensive coordinator so you would think that a varied offensive attack would be the most important trait in the team's character but its just not so.

- Defence just wasn't good enough when they absolutely had to be. Lots of missed tackles. We simply have to find someone better at that safety position. There must be a capable Canadian somewhere. Is Trent Brown still living in the Edmonton area? Can John Farlinger still leg it out?

-Very little confidence in the field goal unit. 45 yards seems to be max.

-Mitchell, Hazelton and Williams were bright spots as was Jackson but he needs some blocks to help him out. When do you finally make a statement by getting a new special teams coordinator, if only to make a point that if you can't deliver, you can't stay with the team. It's not a charity event.

-Reilly was very ordinary in the game.

-Boateng has been our best defensive player in 2018.

Whyte was SHORT from 42yds out. That could be why there was no faith in the FG kicking. Meanwhile the Ottawa kicker nailed FG's from that distance with or against the wind.

As far as sweeps nobody in our backfield today has the speed for that and this Oline is poor on slow developing plays. Better not to try that although I would like more motion.

With Walker out we have no possession based receivers. We're limited in what we could do with this package.

Doesn't help that at one point Gable is again down to his counterpart 100yds in rushing and gave up a fumble again. To that point Gable had 30yds and a Fumble. This being the same guy who rightly blamed himself for the loss in Calgary. But watch him carry the mail on that play. The Fumble was inevitable there.

Teams lose close games due to stupid players making stupid plays.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If the Leos W today and the Bombers prevail next week the chance of this team ending 5th and last place is still very possible. I figured this team would finish 4th place but it could end up being worse.

Looks like Sunderland finally starting to worry by addressing obvious needs like finding a kick returner. Is it too little, too late.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Whyte was SHORT from 42yds out. That could be why there was no faith in the FG kicking. Meanwhile the Ottawa kicker nailed FG's from that distance with or against the wind.

As far as sweeps nobody in our backfield today has the speed for that and this Oline is poor on slow developing plays. Better not to try that although I would like more motion.

With Walker out we have no possession based receivers. We're limited in what we could do with this package.

Doesn't help that at one point Gable is again down to his counterpart 100yds in rushing and gave up a fumble again. To that point Gable had 30yds and a Fumble. This being the same guy who rightly blamed himself for the loss in Calgary. But watch him carry the mail on that play. The Fumble was inevitable there.

Teams lose close games due to stupid players making stupid plays.

Yes, I know Whyte was SHORT from 42 yards hence no faith in the kicking game.

Lots of speed in the backfield for a sweep, including both Gable and Jackson

Hazelton is one of the best possession receivers in the CFL

Mitchell is also emerging as a good possession receiver.

Gable has too many fumbles in recent games-period

I don't think the game was all that close and I never got the feeling we were going to win.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
yeah, too bad Reilly can't throw AND catch the ball. That would work better...

Stafford was a clown show today. Mitchell, normally good, slipped 3 times trying to make a cut, Hazelton ordinary. None of Reillys targets really had it going today and after another bonzo GAble fumble the Esks didn't trust the run game much either.
That Gable fumble was a real head scratcher for me. He was wrapped up and decided not to just go down. He was surrounded and had nowhere to go but backwards. Without going down, the best case scenario was loosing yardage. Instead, he fumbled. I love a guy that tries but he seems to get burned with his second efforts. You’re right in that he doesn’t protect the ball very well. When he fights for more yardage he loses concentration and the opposition has figured it out.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, I know Whyte was SHORT from 42 yards hence no faith in the kicking game.

Lots of speed in the backfield for a sweep, including both Gable and Jackson

Hazelton is one of the best possession receivers in the CFL

Mitchell is also emerging as a good possession receiver.

Gable has too many fumbles in recent games-period

I don't think the game was all that close and I never got the feeling we were going to win.

I can't agree that Gable has great acceleration for a sweep or reverse type scenario. More likely he's caught for a 5yd loss even trying that. He doesn't have good speed from start. He's decent kicking it up sometimes in the middle of a run. But not great first steps.

Hazelton hasn't been what he was last season yet. Very ordinary. Mitchell, sure, but he had a real off day today as well.

Had a strange feeling that breaks were going to even out in this game and that Ottawa had the few bad breaks in first half with TD's being called back. Eskimos didn't deserve to even be in this game on the whole.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That Gable fumble was a real head scratcher for me. He was wrapped up and decided not to just go down. He was surrounded and had nowhere to go but backwards. Without going down, the best case scenario was loosing yardage. Instead, he fumbled. I love a guy that tries but he seems to get burned with his second efforts. You’re right in that he doesn’t protect the ball very well. When he fights for more yardage he loses concentration and the opposition has figured it out.

I'm tired of even trying make sense of Gable. He's dumb. That's about what I got at this point.

Was it foreboding that he turned the ball over on a fumble that was 6pts against us on his very first touch as an Eskimo?

I've had a hard time trusting the guy but this season he's been brutal. Seems to get banged up a lot as well. Starting to look like a lemon.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Two critical errors hurt. One was taking a sack to knock us on to the outer edge of FG range, which Whyte promptly shorted. The other was the pick. On one hand, it hit Williams on the hands and shouldn't have been intercepted, but on the other it was a poor decision to throw into coverage in the first place. Almost got lucky, and then got really unlucky in the span of 1 second. Bad decisions took a probable six points off the board.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If the Leos W today and the Bombers prevail next week the chance of this team ending 5th and last place is still very possible. I figured this team would finish 4th place but it could end up being worse.

Looks like Sunderland finally starting to worry by addressing obvious needs like finding a kick returner. Is it too little, too late.

Mike O'Shea sticking with Matt Nichols might be what lets us into the playoffs. Seriously.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because it’s September 22nd if you haven’t noticed, not November. I’d rather see a game played in decent conditions rather than one where guys are slipping all over the place and it’s freezing. Plenty of time for games to be played in that crap. I guess you’re one of those who like the old time mentality of playing big games at 30 below.

You do know that I was just joking with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad