Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v4

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Crazy ending to watch in BC. I love Hervey, so admittedly I was rooting for the Lions to pull it out.

2ba.jpg

Reactions: Del Preston

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Super kudos to the offensive line yesterday. I thought it was their best performance of the year. Had a solid first half but were superb in the 2nd half, giving Reilly all kinds of time to go through multiple reads, especially in crunch time. The sacks we gave up were usually after about 5 steamboats.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe the Esks missing the playoffs in a GC host year would be enough to get some of these clowns fired.
That would be my hope as well but this organization will likely “Katz” them. Bump them all up a notch and hand out raises and backslaps.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Another wild weekend in the CFL.

This has really been a "pick-em" year in my football pool. On any given Sunday you just don't know what is going to happen.

I went 4-0 two weeks ago, 0-3 last week and thanks to a B.C. miracle finish I will go 3-1 this week but really its just lucky guesses because there is so much parity in the league this season. Even the guys in our CFL pool who know nothing about the league (or football period) are passing all the veteran analysts.

Calgary is still the favorite to win it all but outside of that I would have difficulty laying odds for the order of finish with the other teams.

Reactions: Yeah15

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Maas absolutely killed the offense today by going back to Maciocia's play book. 3 yard outs to stationary receivers, pass plays on second down that leave us well short of the first down marker. #OffensiveGuru

Defense gave up a lot of yards, but never broke (well, they broke after Ottawa got given 2 extra yards on a spot that allowed for a 3rd down gamble). Considering how bad the offense was, I can't point fingers at them. They had us in position to win midway through the 4th quarter despite being on the field practically the entire game.
I thought the D made every clutch stop they could to keep us in the game as long as we were. We should have been behind 20 by half time.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I thought the D made every clutch stop they could to keep us in the game as long as we were. We should have been behind 20 by half time.
They gave up 470 yards. D sucked as much as the offense did, it was a group suck.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I agree. Our offense took the first 28 minutes of the game off and we were only down 9-0.

They gave up 470 yards. D sucked as much as the offense did, it was a group suck.

Yeah but yards don't win and lose ball games, points do. After 50 minutes of football, we'd only given up 18 points and our offense had the ball with a chance to go take the lead. If your own offense enters the midpoint of the 4th quarter with only 15 points, they're the side of the ball that has failed. The defense failed in that they weren't able to flip field position with 2-and-outs, but the offense has to shoulder the majority of the blame. 15 points is pathetic, even allowing for the TD that we got screwed out of.

Reactions: MessierII

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree. Our offense took the first 28 minutes of the game off and we were only down 9-0.

Yeah but yards don't win and lose ball games, points do. After 50 minutes of football, we'd only given up 18 points and our offense had the ball with a chance to go take the lead. If your own offense enters the midpoint of the 4th quarter with only 15 points, they're the side of the ball that has failed. The defense failed in that they weren't able to flip field position with 2-and-outs, but the offense has to shoulder the majority of the blame. 15 points is pathetic, even allowing for the TD that we got screwed out of.
I thought Ottawa’s offense in the red zone had more to do with the game only being 9-0 at that point then the play of the defense did. That said, the game was winnable late and between the ineffectiveness of the offense and the baffling and bumbling officiating, it was lost. Just an ugly game to watch.

A little off topic but this has got to be such a disappointing season for the league. So many of the games around the league this year have been unwatchable stinkers. Last season was so entertaining with lots of offence, big plays and emerging quarterbacks. This year feels like a step backwards.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought Ottawa’s offense in the red zone had more to do with the game only being 9-0 at that point then the play of the defense did. That said, the game was winnable late and between the ineffectiveness of the offense and the baffling and bumbling officiating, it was lost. Just an ugly game to watch.

A little off topic but this has got to be such a disappointing season for the league. So many of the games around the league this year have been unwatchable stinkers. Last season was so entertaining with lots of offence, big plays and emerging quarterbacks. This year feels like a step backwards.
How many games this weekend went down to the wire? A couple including a miracle finish. And a 3rd game went down to the last 2 minutes. The quality of the games may have sucked but the suspense as to who wins them remains intact. And other than Calgary, the tightness of the races keeps things interesting, if nothing else.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
How many games this weekend went down to the wire? A couple including a miracle finish. And a 3rd game went down to the last 2 minutes. The quality of the games may have sucked but the suspense as to who wins them remains intact. And other than Calgary, the tightness of the races keeps things interesting, if nothing else.
I suppose it doesn’t matter if both teams manage to stumble, bumble and fumble their way to close games. I guess it doesn’t matter how lifeless and boring the first 57 minutes is as long as the final possession has a chance to decide the game.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Well that weekend was a kick in the nuts for Eskimo fans. Did anything go right this weekend? Crazy games though and as mentioned it certainly says something about the parity in the league. Esks can't control what happened in the other games though Mass somehow had time to travel to BC, put on a June Jones mask Mission Impossible-style and relive last year's Western Final 'no-regrets' decision. This Esks' season has the potential to be one of the most disappointing in history if they somehow manage to bungle their way out of a playoff spot. Now is the time they should be hitting their stride but instead they are looking defeated or disinterested in most games. It's been discussed ad nauseum but coaching NEEDS to be addressed. Mass should not be OC and HC. I am fine with Mass as HC but this offense is terribad and we have the reigning MOP faltering under it. It only looks good once in a while because the Duke can make a big catch in double coverage. But who can honestly defend the decision to consistently go dink and dunk for 4-6 yards every down. I'm sure our receivers can run routes that are past the first down marker. I'm tired of harping on Mass but I do question too if he's outhinking himself a lot of the time. Mass would never go for it but is it too late in the season to bring in a dedicated OC to change things up a bit?

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I'd say this has been a pretty typical year in terms of excitement, all things considered. Last year was just anomalous with a crazy amount of games coming down to the last play. Agree on the QB play though. Jennings looks like a bust as far as becoming a legit starter, same with Bridge. Collaros has taken a step back, and Nichols is done, or at least he should be. Franklin never grabbed the reins and lost his job, and Harris has been hit and miss.

I've still been excited for most games though. With the caveat that I bet on practically every game, so maybe some of that excitement is manufactured. Coaching and officiating have been disappointments, but really when aren't they?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I suppose it doesn’t matter if both teams manage to stumble, bumble and fumble their way to close games. I guess it doesn’t matter how lifeless and boring the first 57 minutes is as long as the final possession has a chance to decide the game.

I agree with you as to the quality of play. However, the way these leagues and the TV look at is, it is parity and not knowing what the final result will be keeps viewers hooked. Gary Bettman's NHL is geared that way.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree with you as to the quality of play. However, the way these leagues and the TV look at is, it is parity and not knowing what the final result will be keeps viewers hooked. Gary Bettman's NHL is geared that way.
I don’t see it as much as actual parity, but just like the NHL, league controlled game management. CFL officiating has always been terrible. The on field officials are low paid, part time guys who just aren’t very good. I’ve watched the league since the seventies, I’ve learned to live with it. What we’ve seen in the last couple years, though, is the league leaning heavily on its video review system. That system has been so bad that you can’t help but think it’s being used to manipulate game outcomes. I’m not a fan of this artificial parity we’re seeing in both the NHL and CFL in an attempt to keep games close. Is it entertainment or an actual sporting event?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don’t see it as much as actual parity, but just like the NHL, league controlled game management. CFL officiating has always been terrible. The on field officials are low paid, part time guys who just aren’t very good. I’ve watched the league since the seventies, I’ve learned to live with it. What we’ve seen in the last couple years, though, is the league leaning heavily on its video review system. That system has been so bad that you can’t help but think it’s being used to manipulate game outcomes. I’m not a fan of this artificial parity we’re seeing in both the NHL and CFL in an attempt to keep games close. Is it entertainment or an actual sporting event?

We can call it artificial or actual parity, or whatever else you prefer, but the fact is, based on the teams records and many of the games this year, it exists. And the league and television providers like that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

delete

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

delete

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Delete

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

This has reached ridiculous proportions this year. If you're a road team playing against a home team in a must-win situation...good luck. With this in mind, we absolutely have to win our next two home games against Winnipeg and Ottawa (would be nice to win in Regina too, but not holding my breath), because our October 19th game in BC will almost certainly be "Get Wally to the playoffs in his final season" night under the dome. You can pretty much take that to the bank.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You defend this receiver EVERY time.

Just in a few posts I see you fail to spot the Duke infraction on the sidelines that other people spotted. Then predictably its Reillys fault Duke instead of catching the ball spikes it up for a pick. Ridiculous nonsense to say that one was Reillys fault. Not surprised though. This has been your take for years.

The ball wasn't end over end either. There was nothing at all wrong with that throw. Duke lost concentration on that play.

And you defend your favourites every single time. In hockey it was Draisatl, but your usual method of pumping them up is to also put down everyone else. Reilly did his best, but could have done a lot better. He was by no means the reason we lost, but we only scored 15 points, which is simply not enough to win. Personally, I think he is hindered by the stupid game plan of his OC a lot, which doesn't help.

Williams did more than his share in this game. Made a spectacular catch on the sideline, that he had no business making. Caught a touchdown pass by out jumping and fighting off a defender. Created a pass interference in the endzone that resulted in an easy one yard plunge for a TD. Arguably, caught another TD pass with yet another spectacular effort, but the idiots in the control booth overturned the call. And his one so called misplay was early enough in the game, that it should have been more than recoverable for the team, instead the D allows an 80 yard drive. Reilly also turned the ball over on a fumble with 2 and a half minutes in the game with the result still in doubt (was fortunately recovered), but no mention of that by you.

Both Reilly and Williams could have done better in certain situations to help us win the game.

Better?;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad