Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Franklin has been named as the Toronto starter this week so now we will see if it was just hype or whether he could have been as good as Reilly.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Franklin has been named as the Toronto starter this week so now we will see if it was just hype or whether he could have been as good as Reilly.
Against our defence, he might look like the 2nd coming of Warren Moon this weekend. But Reilly is still numero uno.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd like to see him do it for more than just one game. This league has seen a lot of guys put up a handful of good games and then really do nothing after that.

Although that's all it takes in the CFL to stick around for longer than you should and get paid to play a game you love.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Edmonton Hupeoples

Or

Edmonton North American Football Club

They would have to wear rainbow colored jerseys so that no color feels left out.

If I'm a fan of the sport the rest of the world calls football, I'd be extremely offended by that name. CFL isn't football, it's Handegg.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If I'm a fan of the sport the rest of the world calls football, I'd be extremely offended by that name. CFL isn't football, it's Handegg.
Seems silly and really personal that you're offended by that, you should talk to someone about this personal issue for you

Reactions: bone

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
My daughter is a registered psychologist. I can probably get the guy an inexpensive counselling session.

Reactions: bone

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just a warning to everyone on the board:

Let's not have anyone suggesting that the "sky is blue" because as a big fan of red sunsets I will object and complain to the moderators (or maybe the police if they have nothing important to do today and will listen.)

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Our two young Canadian receivers are rounding into form. Between Adjai and Behar I think we have a ratio-breaking combo.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Unlike some other opinions, I like the fact Rhodes himself was the one going up north with his group to confront the issue. As much as he sucks in some other tasks, I think he is tailor made for this one. And if you're going to put out a fire, the best way is to head right into the heart of it and snuff it out. I think it's a very good idea, and long overdue. The result, as Terry Jones said in an earlier article, was entirely peredictable. While Rhodes won't reveal the exact numbers, there is no doubt that the majority of people he talked to were okay with the name remaining as is, based on his comments and decision. Jones also had this choice barb at the do- gooders that want the name changed, with this comment, "People connected to the communities in the north have informed your correspondent for years that it’s mostly politically correct people seeking publicity or with their own agendas who have a problem with the name."
Len Rhodes had this to say, "“We found that there was a sense of pride with a lot of people in having a team named Eskimos. I’m not sure of the extent we expected that. One gentleman told me that people in Alaska are envious that northern Canada have a football team. I came to realize that people are sharing opinions on behalf of the Inuit community that aren’t necessarily from the Inuit community."

Finally, it's good to see the team connect fully with the average, ordinary Inuit people and respectfully listen their opinions, as they are the ones that count, not Don Iveson, Rachel Notely or Mr. Dressup.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Unlike some other opinions, I like the fact Rhodes himself was the one going up north with his group to confront the issue. As much as he sucks in some other tasks, I think he is tailor made for this one. And if you're going to put out a fire, the best way is to head right into the heart of it and snuff it out. I think it's a very good idea, and long overdue. The result, as Terry Jones said in an earlier article, was entirely peredictable. While Rhodes won't reveal the exact numbers, there is no doubt that the majority of people he talked to were okay with the name remaining as is, based on his comments and decision. Jones also had this choice barb at the do- gooders that want the name changed, with this comment, "People connected to the communities in the north have informed your correspondent for years that it’s mostly politically correct people seeking publicity or with their own agendas who have a problem with the name."
Len Rhodes had this to say, "“We found that there was a sense of pride with a lot of people in having a team named Eskimos. I’m not sure of the extent we expected that. One gentleman told me that people in Alaska are envious that northern Canada have a football team. I came to realize that people are sharing opinions on behalf of the Inuit community that aren’t necessarily from the Inuit community."

Finally, it's good to see the team connect fully with the average, ordinary Inuit people and respectfully listen their opinions, as they are the ones that count, not Don Iveson, Rachel Notely or Mr. Dressup.

Very well said, thankyou.

I doubt that this is the end of the discussion but at least for now I am thankful for free speech, the Edmonton Eskimos, the oil sands, pretty girls and rock and roll (especially Mick and Keith).

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
quick comment from the last game since I wasn't around.
I really thought the esks were going to crap the bed. in the first Quarter, I thought I was right.
pleasantly surprised the rest of the game. good to see gable get the touches he should.

I will whine that I hate 8:00 games. don't like not getting home until around midnight. I believe we have an 8:00pm Thursday game coming up, too. yuck.

anyone else notice that last 5 home games of the year are Saturday Games?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Esks signed Brian Walker today. He’s a DB who was pretty decent with the Bombers last season.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Yes, the quality of football right now is pretty low. The Calgary-Ottawa game wasn't much better. I watched it at a party and even all my die-hard Stamp friends said the club looked awful. Ottawa was even worse.

It really looks like exhibition football for the first month which is another reason why I far preferred the old 4 game exhibition and 16 game regular season. You can call it regular season if you want but it sure doesn't look that way.
4 game preseason was awful. 4 games where most fans don't care and the team is full of non starters.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Or, how about 2 preseason games, reducing the schedule to 16 games, and starting the season earlier, and hosting the Grey Cup near the end of October?

Reactions: AUAIOMRN

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Or, how about 2 preseason games, reducing the schedule to 16 games, and starting the season earlier, and hosting the Grey Cup near the end of October?
Would the owners or TSN go for it?

You could toss out the theory that less games during normal weather would result in more interest in the game, thus making up for less games. However, when the Grey Cup in Edmonton sells the way it does the CFL/TSN will just answer back with our fans don't care about weather and games in late November.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This seems like an easy decision to make. The fact they continue not to make it makes me believe TSN doesn’t want it. If not them then maybe the league itself considers not playing the Grey Cup game on the final Sunday in November sacrilegious. I’m a “big on tradition” guy myself but this is one I could let go of.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If you read between the lines, I think Ambrosie is on board with ending the season sooner. If the Maritime expansion team comes to fruition, which seems likely within the next two years, we can go back to a schedule without any bye weeks, or a maximum of one. Starting the season early this year worked out just fine. I think they will keep this start date going forward, but eliminate a couple byes, putting the Grey Cup on the second Sunday in November, rather than the fourth.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
If you read between the lines, I think Ambrosie is on board with ending the season sooner. If the Maritime expansion team comes to fruition, which seems likely within the next two years, we can go back to a schedule without any bye weeks, or a maximum of one. Starting the season early this year worked out just fine. I think they will keep this start date going forward, but eliminate a couple byes, putting the Grey Cup on the second Sunday in November, rather than the fourth.
Can't be the 2nd Sunday in November. This year that would mean it would land on Remembrance Day. It'll have to be the 3rd week of October or 3rd week of November. Have to avoid Halloween too.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can't be the 2nd Sunday in November. This year that would mean it would land on Remembrance Day. It'll have to be the 3rd week of October or 3rd week of November. Have to avoid Halloween too.
Why would it matter if it's on Remembrance day? Not like you couldn't incorporate it all in one.

That and remembrance day celebrations are usually during the day. Grey Cup is later in the day

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Posed this question to a friend who’s a CFL exec. His answer....

We can't start any earlier without eliminating almost all of the kids finishing Canadian University's and American Colleges. By moving it up two weeks (this year), these young men are basically graduating and coming straight to training camp within a matter of days.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Posed this question to a friend who’s a CFL exec. His answer....

We can't start any earlier without eliminating almost all of the kids finishing Canadian University's and American Colleges. By moving it up two weeks (this year), these young men are basically graduating and coming straight to training camp within a matter of days.

So what? I don't see a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad