Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Edmonton for Ryan Spooner

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Spooner would be interesting to call up and see what he does with Pettersson and Boeser at practice.

But I love how Gagner found his way back to Edmonton.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Agreed I’m shocked this thread has so many posts, is there a more even trade that’s been had? The oilers are hoping a change back to where it began for gagner helps, maybe spooner figures it out, guy has fallen off a cliff in the last 9 months. Salary is a wash

Edit: why did the bury gagner? Was he that bad in camp? You can’t bury his salary correct? Why not try and play him?

He was playing 2C with Boeser and Vanek last year and produced 32 points. With Pettersson and Beagle coming in as 2C and 4C there was no spot for him.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
No.
In terms of doing the player a favour... they're, well, not.

But Edmonton will likely play him in the NHL, and I think Gagner's thing was moreso, "If I am not going to be in the NHL can I at least be close to home?", so this will at least get him back into the NHL regularly (presumably)

Wrong. Gagner's wife is from Edmonton.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Easily a win for Edmonton here. Gagner is 29 years old and 2 season away from putting up 50. Spooner was a complete bum. It's a wash for Vancouver since Spooner is expiring and the salaries are almost identical considering rangers retain $900k. Edmonton gets a guy who can hopefully contribute on the PP and middle 6 at the cheap. I expect him to resign too considering his wife is from Edmonton and he has several ties here still.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Good on Canucks management for making this move. On our side its all about giving Sam Gagner another chance in the NHL after signing him to that contract.

I'm sure from their history together Benning thinks Spooner might be able to be something, but that would really just be a bonus.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Easily a win for Edmonton here. Gagner is 29 years old and 2 season away from putting up 50. Spooner was a complete bum. It's a wash for Vancouver since Spooner is expiring and the salaries are almost identical considering rangers retain $900k. Edmonton gets a guy who can hopefully contribute on the PP and middle 6 at the cheap. I expect him to resign too considering his wife is from Edmonton and he has several ties here still.

There's a reason Gagner is "2 seasons away from putting up 50" and that's because has has declined sharply over those 2 years. He's not useless, he understands the offensive zone. But he is SLOW now and just can't quite get there at the NHL level 5 on 5. He was starting to show it with the Jackets and had a poor second half if I recall correctly. The Canucks never should have given him that deal. He was a 4th line centre that was sharp on the PP, and still gets it done in the AHL, but at this stage his NHL potential is 2nd PP and try to hide him 5 on 5. My guess is he doesn't even make the Oilers next year never mind re-signing. He'll undoubtedly get his last real kick at the can down the stretch. I don't think much of Spooner either, but this isn't a guy in a funk. This is a guy whose athletic ability has taken him as far as it will go.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
This should be a win for Oilers as well.

Strange after Chiarelli's losing streak to see 2 trades that IMO look like wins for Oilers. Spooner's awful, either without value or with negative value. The one thing I'd be concerned about is the fact that Gagner couldn't make the Canucks lineup even though they have absolutely dreadful wingers. Then again, I guess Oilers do as well.

Spooner is awful but Gagner isn’t?.......Gagner was a terrible signing. He plays like he doesn’t care. They are both bounce back candidates and it’s a pretty even trade, especially when we were paying a guy to play in the AHL for a completely different franchise.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Somebody finding it funny that their new teams are excited about these 2 minor league players?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Excuse me. Can someone please tell me what these two EDM trades mean in the bigger picture. Is one a cap dump and the other a move to bolster for the playoffs?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Excuse me. Can someone please tell me what these two EDM trades mean in the bigger picture. Is one a cap dump and the other a move to bolster for the playoffs?

Sorta. Talbot-Stolarz is a cap dump but also a possible upgrade long-term considering Stolarz's age and potential RFA status. Gagner-Spooner is just a plain upgrade. Maybe for the playoffs, but I'd rather have Gagner than Spooner regardless. Spooner was useless.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He asked to be closer to home, if he wasn't going to be in the NHL, Vancouver respected his wish

Vancouver also will spend less cash in this deal - not much, but a little. Spooner makes 4m a season in salary (NYR picking up 900k of that). However Gagner is paid 3.5m this year and 3.2m next season. Not much of a difference (especially as most of this year's salary has already been paid), but it will mean an extra 400/500k to Edmonton for the chance that maybe Gagner helps the team.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Where the **** did you get this from his reply? He literally said "not much hope for spooner"

This trade is a nothing trade. The canucks were doing Gagner a favor to get him out of the minors. Were not expecting spooner to be a contributor to this team.
gagner was useless on the canucks when given chances this year. not much hope for spooner but it doesn't matter either way.
a "meh" trade if there ever was one.
watch spooner play with petterson and boeser and become an allstar :P
No idea where I got that from......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad