Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Edmonton for Ryan Spooner

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
-Marlies lose a decent AHLer. Trade sucks for them.
-Canucks lose nothing, and gain nothing.
-Oilers gain a warm body that can't skate at an NHL level anymore. They are in even worse shape than I thought, if Gagner is one of their 12 best forwards. You really think Gagner has forgot about the Kassian stick-swinging/face-breaking incident? What are they thinking? Are they trying to poison their locker room?? lol
-Comets add a decent AHLer. If there is a winner in this deal, it's Utica.

Spooner played on the Condors who are on a 14 win streak without much contribution from him. It’s not like Edmonton was using Spooner at all - he’s pretty useless.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
So, Eberle for Gagner?

Gagner left the first time for Teddy Purcel. Purcel left to the Panthers for a 3rd . You selected with that 3rd in 2016 Matthew Cairns. Since you had Gagner once before and now you have him back we can call Gagner for Gagner a wash.

Eberle for Matthew Cairns . Yes - no ?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

If that's true, the Pronger trade tree grows a little bit longer

Pronger>Eberle>Strome>Spooner>Gagner

Which you can back up even further.

Messier>Rice>Marchment>Hamrlik>Brewer>Pronger>Eberle>Strome>Gagner

I was at work, and that's as far back as I could remember off the top of my head :laugh:
but yeah, can be traced back to Messier, and can also be traced back to Arnott

Messier>Rice>Marchment>Hamrlik>Brewer>Pronger>Eberle>Strome>Spooner>Gagner
Arnott>Guerin>Lynch>Pronger>Eberle>Strome>Spooner>Gagner

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This should be a win for Oilers as well.

Strange after Chiarelli's losing streak to see 2 trades that IMO look like wins for Oilers. Spooner's awful, either without value or with negative value. The one thing I'd be concerned about is the fact that Gagner couldn't make the Canucks lineup even though they have absolutely dreadful wingers. Then again, I guess Oilers do as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tough to argue with this from the Canucks' perspective. Gagner was done in VanCity and on loan to the Marlies. Some Utica Comets fans were choked that the veteran center they needed was playing for an AHL rival in the North Division. At least Spooner now goes to the Comets and instantly makes them better.

Basically two players who should probably be finishing their careers in Europe, and probably would be by now if their respective NHL GM's hadn't signed them to ridiculous three-year contracts. Still a chance one, or both of them, gets bought out in the off-season anyway.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Gagner wasn't even playing in Vancouver's system. This is a garbage for garbage trade but at least Vancouver get back a player who'll play for Utica at the very least.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Seems like Spooner must be damaged goods that is just getting passed around. Was a time when he seemed headed for a decent NHL career and you wonder if he can ever get it back on track. That's's got to be the motivation for some GMs taking a flyer on this player. So far hope has been forlorn. Right now can't be seen as NHL player.

Gagner was miserable in Vancouver last year. Absolute trash. Was somewhat better in his brief call up this year but then had a couple of horrible defensive games and was sent back down. Do not see him as NHL player.

Funny remember when the Canucks were decent and that I was always happy to have Gagner on the Oilers b/c he was weak and gave us a better chance to win. Then he ends on the Canucks and I was thinking he symbolized just how far the Canucks had fallen. Now the Canucks would go into Edmonton (who was beginning to look seemingly better at the time) and get more abused with the physically weak Gagner on their team.

Can't see either player moving the performance needle for either team but prefer Spooner to Gagner. That's how bad I think Gagner is.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Given the success of players who have been traded out of Edmonton, I won’t be surprised to see a bounce back year from him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This should be a win for Oilers as well.

Strange after Chiarelli's losing streak to see 2 trades that IMO look like wins for Oilers. Spooner's awful, either without value or with negative value. The one thing I'd be concerned about is the fact that Gagner couldn't make the Canucks lineup even though they have absolutely dreadful wingers. Then again, I guess Oilers do as well.

The thing about Gags is we have no skill on the wings. Vancouver didn’t want him because he struggles defensively 5 on 5. We’re so pathetic on the wings that we can afford to deal with his deficiencies. He’s basically a lock for 35-40 points. That would likely be our highest scoring winger

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Happy for ganger. Hope he has a good rest of his year. The fact that he was stuck in the A and the argument he couldn’t be better than guys like Granlund schaller etc for a game where and there was flat out wrong I’d nothing else but for being effective on the PP and in the shootout

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Spooner and Gagner represent the same value for Vancouver. Vancouver felt bad for signing Gagner and then sending him down while he was still producing at an NHL level, this way Gagner gets back into the NHL. Kudos to management for doing right by Gagner.

Agreed I’m shocked this thread has so many posts, is there a more even trade that’s been had? The oilers are hoping a change back to where it began for gagner helps, maybe spooner figures it out, guy has fallen off a cliff in the last 9 months. Salary is a wash

Edit: why did the bury gagner? Was he that bad in camp? You can’t bury his salary correct? Why not try and play him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad