Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Edmonton for Ryan Spooner

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
We are not expecting 8 point games out of Gagner, but he will add skill into our top9. In limited engagement I liked Cave, Rattie and Gagner. This would be a nice 3rd line if we just had some help for RNH on the second line.
id try gags on wing to start tbh. He isn’t exactly well suited for an energy or defensive role and our wingers all suck so he would prob upgrade the top six

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Now, according to some on HF, the Oilers traded Mark Messier for Sam Gagner. What a horrid trade.
Did Messier ever have an eight point game? I think not. Clearly Gagner is superior to him. Heck, until Mcdavid breaks that record Gagner is the best player on the Oilers.

All kidding aside I’m a little baffled about this trade. Looking at it as Gagner for Spooner isn’t quite so bad though. The Oilers need wingers and he’s a decent option until their prospects develop.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Wow, this might be the most nothing trade in the history of hockey.

All I can say is, good riddance Sam... and I hope beyond hope that we never see Spooner in a Canuck jersey.

Feb 19, 2018
Naw, you’re being way too optimistic here.

When Spooner isn’t in the offensive zone, he vanishes. Hell, when he doesn’t have the puck at all, you have no idea if he’s actually playing or not.

This isn’t a case of the Oilers ruining him. It’s a case of a player being bad.

And Gagne is a defensive Demond where he hounds the puck until It breaks in 4.

Get a grip

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Why?

Gagner was playing AHL for the Marlies, if Spooner doesn't fit in vancouver he'll go to Utica. Whatever happens, Utica will get a player back which can only help them.

It's a nothing trade but with a bit of help for Utica whichever way the cookie crumbles.

You clearly didn't see Spooner play this season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And Gagne is a defensive Demond where he hounds the puck until It breaks in 4.

Get a grip
A Bruins fan described Spooner to a t earlier this season. Skilled, but not smart enough to get open in the offensive zone when playing against even average defensemen, so he needs to play on a 3rd line so he gets more time on a line against bad defense pairings. So if you have good enough depth guys to make your 3rd line a major offensive threat then he might fit. Sadly, most teams don't have the quality of playmaker necessary to help him out.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Yes, Gagne is a defensive Demond.

Before you tell me to get a grip, how about actually spelling correctly.

Perhaps he meant as in Demond Wilson!
demond.jpg

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
They are just going to put Spooner with Pettersson and Boeser to up his trade value. Kinda smart

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
They are just going to put Spooner with Pettersson and Boeser to up his trade value. Kinda smart

Not as smart as you think.

Spooner has NHL level talent. He just doesn't have NHL level commitment. He is lazy, plain and simple. He doesn't want to put the work in on or off the ice to remain in the league. He could been a top 6 forward. He won't do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad