Confirmed Trade: [EDM/VAN] Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Edmonton for Ryan Spooner

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So, do the Oilers not need to still make another move to be cap complainant when Sekera is back?

Yes, but they only needed to clear 1.2 million. Any of the little bit left - if there is any - will be cleared by the roster move we need to make to activate Sekera anyway.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Don't know much about Spooner but he looks like another player who had his career derailed by concussions. That's sad.
He's got quite a good deal of talent, but he seems to vanish as things get tougher. Also, defensively he's always been more than suspect. He's a good kid though.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
But they do get to still use it if they wish?
If Edmonton wants to pay him to be in Toronto, and Toronto still allows it, then Edmonton/Toronto can agree to it, yes, but they don't have carte blanche

If Edmonton wants him in Bakersfield (as they're icing a competitive team this year, and might want him), then Toronto can't do anything.

If Toronto doesn't want him back (they want to play their young kids more down the stretch, for example), then Edmonton can't do anything.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Benning loves those jr busts hes had an infatuation with

Good drafter my ass

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Why? Canucks take on an extra 1 mill cap hit for another smaller useless player
Maybe I am reading this wrong but Capfriendly states:

Gagner: $3.15M (this season) & $3.15M (next season)... Pretty sure earlier it had Gagner a littler over $2.1M-ish x 2 yrs?

Spooner: $2.08M (this season) & $2.03M (next season)... Think this should be around $3M too though?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was pretty bad last year (outside of the PP) and was a liability defensively. I don't think many fans were upset that he was sent to the AHL.
What Canucks fans wanted was for management to apply the same standards of performance that they do to young players to the veterans. This was the first sign of that.

Eriksson no longer has a nmc. It ended last seasons. He holds a ntc. If Eriksson can’t make the club next season, I’d want the Canucks to do the same to him that they did to Gagner and bury him down there.

It’s a positive move from the Canucks as it upgrades their AHL team without giving anything up really. Gagner was loaned out as a goodwill gesture by the team. Canucks will have to determine whether they want spooner or whether they want to buy him out to open up a contract spot in the off season.

member 290103

His cap hit and term didn't help, hence the trade for an equally bad contract. If he were expiring this season or his contract was a million less he may not have made it through. I personally don't see anything wrong with his contract for what he provides.

I guess every team in the NHL sees it differently.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Spooner did not fit in and was not productive at at all for Oilers, so hopefully Gagner can be productive in some form for the Oilers. I don't think either team is expecting a big result, hopefully a player that can maybe be a better fit for their lineup and add something to it.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Maybe I am reading this wrong but Capfriendly states:

Gagner: $3.15M (this season) & $3.15M (next season)... Pretty sure earlier it had Gagner a littler over $2.1M-ish x 2 yrs?

Spooner: $2.08M (this season) & $2.03M (next season)... Think this should be around $3M too though?

Spooner is making 4M this season and next, but NYR retained 900k, so his cap hit is 3.1M this season and next.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Gagner will be missed for sure. He was a beast for the Marlies.

Relax, he was a minus player for the Marlies, among the worst. Sure, he could put up points but he can't play D. Doesn't matter if you put up 100 goals if 150 goals are scored against you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->