Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PIT] John Marino for a conditional 2021 6th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Need to get rid of this college loophole. Good of the Pens to take advantage at least the Oil got something if very little for a player that wouldnt sign with them

A) It's not a loophole. It's something that's there to ensure that the players get a chance to follow their dreams. It's the same reason waivers applies... so that teams cannot keep quality players buried in the minors forever just because your team doesn't have room for them.

B) It doesn't only apply to college kids. Kids in the CHL could do the same thing (stick it out 4 years post draft to become UFAs). They overwhelmingly choose not to do so. But make no mistake - they certainly could if they wanted to.

edit. I see @wej20 beat me to it.

Reactions: zeeto and JackFr

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Marino has something none of the other dmen listed in this thread have had and that is ELITE skating. Best skating dman on a team with Kris Letang is very impressive.

He’s not a better skater than Letang?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Kind of getting over rated... No? A guy was dealt for a 6th rounder and after 25~ games he's suddenly one of the best defensive D in the league? Not even saying he hasn't played well but it's not even half a season...

I mean, he's managed to make Jack Johnson look reasonable, so it's kind of understandable that he'd end up getting a bit hyped... :laugh:

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Marino was not going to sign in Edmonton given the young upcoming depth at D.

Oilers had to trade his rights or he becomes a free agent with nothing coming back to Edmonton.

SEE Justin Schultz, etc.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
talent evaluation: a+

Seriously? Before the season started where was he going to fit on the Condors?

We had Bear (WHL D man of the year), Jones, Lowe (Captain), Bouchard (OHL D man of the year), Samurokov, Lagesson, and Day ahead of him. They brought in a 25 year old UFA in Persson who was like a school teacher part time two years ago and only started playing pro hockey two years ago. And they signed Vincent Desharnais the 2016 7th rounder. The NHL team had Kelfbom, Nurse, Larsson, Sekera, Russell, Benning, and ugh.. Manning.

Jones and Lagesson are NHL ready and will require waivers next season. Bouchard and Samurokov are high end rookies that need playing time. Bear made the NHL unexpectedly. Then the Oilers have Broberg overseas.

Marino looked at the list and said... no way am I signing! I'm happy for him but a D man like him is a not a big loss. It's bad enough Samurokov is buried on the bottom-pair with no PP time on the Condors.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marino was not going to sign in Edmonton given the young upcoming depth at D.

Oilers had to trade his rights or he becomes a free agent with nothing coming back to Edmonton.

SEE Justin Schultz, etc.

I mean they could have guaranteed a spot or traded some depth prospects to give him a clearer path to a NHL spot. I don't think this excuse works. Saying he wanted to play on the East coast is more fair.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I mean they could have guaranteed a spot or traded some depth prospects to give him a clearer path to a NHL spot. I don't think this excuse works. Saying he wanted to play on the East coast is more fair.

Probably a combination of both. He was set to be a free agent and could go wherever he wanted. Edm could not sign him so got what they could for him.

Oilers have Larsson, Bear, Bouchard on the right side. Doubt he plays ahead of any of those.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Probably a combination of both. He was set to be a free agent and could go wherever he wanted. Edm could not sign him so got what they could for him.

Oilers have Larsson, Bear, Bouchard on the right side. Doubt he plays ahead of any of those.

Marino probably would've played his way above Bear and Bouchard. Bouchard, at least, could use some more seasoning in the AHL. Even though folks shit on Jack Johnson (he's actually played well this season), Pittsburgh's lineup isn't a joke to crack, and Marino's played so well that he's earning time on his offside with Dumoulin out long-term.

Reactions: Trade

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Marino probably would've played his way above Bear and Bouchard. Bouchard, at least, could use some more seasoning in the AHL. Pittsburgh's lineup isn't a joke to crack.

Sure. Marino is better than Bouchard this year only. Then he is behind him.

Marino saw the writing on the wall. He was behind those other R handed D. He made it clear to Edm that he would not sign.

Sometimes it works this way. I see Marino as a decent third pairing defenseman on a long term basis. Those type of D are a dime a dozen.

Call me in 10 years when he is a hall of famer and we can talk further.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Sure. Marino is better than Bouchard this year only. Then he is behind him.

Marino saw the writing on the wall. He was behind those other R handed D. He made it clear to Edm that he would not sign.

Sometimes it works this way. I see Marino as a decent third pairing defenseman on a long term basis. Those type of D are a dime a dozen.

Call me in 10 years when he is a hall of famer and we can talk further.

Marino's 22 and already playing like a decent top-4 option. Not saying that he's a future HOFer, but he very well could be a long-term fixture for Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Marino's 22 and already playing like a decent top-4 option. Not saying that he's a future HOFer, but he very well could be a long-term fixture for Pittsburgh.

But in Edmonton he is not playing in the top 4. By next year, Larsson and Bouchard are ahead of Marino. Then Edmonton still has Bear and Benning.

Good for Marino for turning out. A few years ago Benning looked like a potential top 4 D for Edmonton. Now he is not even in the top 6.

Edmonton has

Klefbom
Nurse
Broberg (2019 first rounder - top 10)
Bouchard (2018 first rounder - top 10)
Larsson
Ethan Bear

Marino would never have played ahead of those above.

Then there is Caleb Jones, Kris Russell, Benning, Lagesson and Persson (best D on Edmonton farm team)

Where was Marino going to fit in?

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
But in Edmonton he is not playing in the top 4. By next year, Larsson and Bouchard are ahead of Marino. Then Edmonton still has Bear and Benning.

Good for Marino for turning out. A few years ago Benning looked like a potential top 4 D for Edmonton. Now he is not even in the top 6.

Edmonton has

Klefbom
Nurse
Broberg (2019 first rounder - top 10)
Bouchard (2018 first rounder - top 10)
Larsson
Ethan Bear

Marino would never have played ahead of those above.

Then there is Caleb Jones, Kris Russell, Benning, Lagesson and Persson (best D on Edmonton farm team)

Where was Marino going to fit in?

Has Broberg and Bouchard performance in the NHL been that much better than Marino's?

Reactions: Rolo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad