Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PIT] John Marino for a conditional 2021 6th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
But in Edmonton he is not playing in the top 4. By next year, Larsson and Bouchard are ahead of Marino. Then Edmonton still has Bear and Benning.

Good for Marino for turning out. A few years ago Benning looked like a potential top 4 D for Edmonton. Now he is not even in the top 6.

Edmonton has

Klefbom
Nurse
Broberg (2019 first rounder - top 10)
Bouchard (2018 first rounder - top 10)
Larsson
Ethan Bear

Marino would never have played ahead of those above.

Then there is Caleb Jones, Kris Russell, Benning, Lagesson and Persson (best D on Edmonton farm team)

Where was Marino going to fit in?

He’s better than Larsson and better than Benning ever was, but alright.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
But in Edmonton he is not playing in the top 4. By next year, Larsson and Bouchard are ahead of Marino. Then Edmonton still has Bear and Benning.

Good for Marino for turning out. A few years ago Benning looked like a potential top 4 D for Edmonton. Now he is not even in the top 6.

Edmonton has

Klefbom
Nurse
Larsson
Ethan Bear

Then there is Caleb Jones, Kris Russell, Benning, Lagesson and Persson (best D on Edmonton farm team)

I've never understood this logic. Good players are able to make room for themselves no matter the roster situation. This is why I found Adam Fox's decision to spurn the Canes so questionable. A guy as talented as him would've made any defense corps in hockey, even if it was as a #7 at first, and the Canes were a cup contending roster with some of the best defensive mentors that you could possibly have. It's a dream situation if you believed that you were talented enough to hang with them.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Has Broberg and Bouchard performance in the NHL been that much better than Marino's?

Not this year. Broberg and Bouchard not in NHL yet. But Marino knew that. He knew he would never play above those by as early as next year. So he told the oilers he was not going to sign.

Pit traded for his rights. Marino likes his chances at making the team (less defensive depth than in Edmonton), and he signs a contract with PIT.

Nothing against Marino, but he held all the cards. He knew he could walk as a free agent and he made the Oilers aware of this. So his rights got traded.

If the Oilers had less of a defensive prospect pool, they probably would have convinced him to sign a contract.

Also he is from the east coast so that probably factored in.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
To say that it made sense that the Oilers traded him is one thing, to say that he'd only be at best a 3rd pair guy while he's already a top-4 D right now and probably would be Edmonton's best RD is another. That's ridiculous to say.

The fact that he is a top 4 D now says a lot about the Penguins defense. He is playing sheltered minutes on a team with a few really good D and then a bunch of junk.

Bet you can't name very many teams where he plays top 4 minutes other than the Pens.

On most other teams in the NHL, he is bottom pairing or on the farm.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The fact that he is a top 4 D now says a lot about the Penguins defense. He is playing sheltered minutes on a team with a few really good D and then a bunch of junk.

Bet you can't name very many teams where he plays top 4 minutes other than the Pens.

Sheltered minutes? He's on the top pairing and just registered a 27 minute performance last night against the Flames.

Are you sure you're even following his time in Pittsburgh? It's one thing to say the Oilers had no choice than to move him, but to act like he's just been "okay" getting sheltered minutes on the bottom pairing makes me wonder if you've seen any Pens' games this season beyond like the first couple of games of the season.

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
I cannot blame any player for trying to pick their landing spot and happy he is having success but what could the Oiler's really do in this situation? Tell him they were going to guarantee him an NHL roster spot and a max entry level deal.

Another example of why this rule needs to be changed but it tends to benefit American hockey franchises so it probably will not change.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Not this year. Broberg and Bouchard not in NHL yet. But Marino knew that. He knew he would never play above those by as early as next year. So he told the oilers he was not going to sign.

Pit traded for his rights. Marino likes his chances at making the team (less defensive depth than in Edmonton), and he signs a contract with PIT.

Nothing against Marino, but he held all the cards. He knew he could walk as a free agent and he made the Oilers aware of this. So his rights got traded.

If the Oilers had less of a defensive prospect pool, they probably would have convinced him to sign a contract.

Also he is from the east coast so that probably factored in.

Not sure how making the Pens was any easier than making the Oilers but I think the east coast probably played a part. Plus after doing 3 years in college it must be very tempting for prospects to go back for that final year, get their degree and then choose who they want to sign for.

Reactions: gordonhught

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com

Edmonton has

Klefbom
Nurse
Larsson
Ethan Bear

You can see the future?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Sheltered minutes? He's on the top pairing and just registered a 27 minute performance last night against the Flames.

Are you sure you're even following his time in Pittsburgh? It's one thing to say the Oilers had no choice than to move him, but to act like he's just been "okay" getting sheltered minutes on the bottom pairing makes me wonder if you've seen any Pens' games this season beyond like the first couple of games of the season.

I don't watch any of the games. Quite frankly I have no idea what I am talking about.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't watch any of the games. Quite frankly I have no idea what I am talking about.

When it comes to Penguins games, that certainly appears to be the case if you label Marino as getting sheltered minutes. He's literally on the top pairing with Letang right now (and was on the top pairing with Dumoulin when Letang was hurt) matching up against the opposition's top lines. In no universe is that "sheltered".

Gfroer

Jan 6, 2019

44.2 oZS% and has been playing top pairing with Letang since Dumoulin went down. Not exactly what I would describe as sheltered.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
This is ridicilous. EDM saying they have SEVERAL dman ahead of him? Even if the non proven guys Broberg and Bouchard end up better then Marino in a few years, you trade the older guys like Larsson, Russell, or Nurse.

They could of had:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Marino
Benning

Reactions: The Grim Reaper

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
this is the best version of Letang.

who's a top 5 Dman no doubt in the league.

Marino isnt Letang
Can people read? Letang is not as good side to side as he once was and isnt the fastest straight line player on the ice anymore either. Marino's edge-work right now is better than Kris's. Period.

I didn't say they were comparable players jesus christ

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This is ridicilous. EDM saying they have SEVERAL dman ahead of him? Even if the non proven guys Broberg and Bouchard end up better then Marino in a few years, you trade the older guys like Larsson, Russell, or Nurse.

They could of had:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Marino
Benning
That's great, but he didn't want to sign in Edmonton, so they had no choice in the matter. Shit happens and this one isn't on the organization.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

They could of had:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Marino
Benning

I'm not sure why this needs to be repeated again, but Marino did not want to sign with the Oilers.

It had nothing to do with the Oilers not wanting to sign him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure why this needs to be repeated again, but Marino did not want to sign with the Oilers.

It had nothing to do with the Oilers not wanting to sign him.

I have zero issue with this reasoning or explanation. But there seem to be some who still insist that even with Marino's current level of play, he'd have no spot on the Oilers nor most other NHL teams around the league. Based on his actual performance, that's patently false.

(Not saying you said this. Just clarifying what "point" I have an issue with)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I have zero issue with this reasoning or explanation. But there seem to be some who still insist that even with Marino's current level of play, he'd have no spot on the Oilers nor most other NHL teams around the league. Based on his actual performance, that's patently false.

(Not saying you said this. Just clarifying what "point" I have an issue with)

It honestly wouldn't surprise me with this organization's stupid obsession with Larsson and Benning.

For instance, Joel Persson started off the season on the second pairing and played better in a top4 role than Benning ever has. When Larsson returned, they sent Persson to the AHL because for some reason they think they need Benning on the third pairing.

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania

They could of had:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Russell - Marino
Benning

Agreed. Not sure when Edmonton became such a defensive powerhouse that a player on the top unit of Pittsburgh, producing some of the highest defensive numbers in the league playing against the oppositions top players, wouldn't even be the Oilers 7th defenseman.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah, you're just talking out of your ass now. You don't have a clue about how good Marino has been this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad