Confirmed Trade: [EDM/PIT] John Marino for a conditional 2021 6th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
This thread reminds me of likes of Despres and Määttä. Pens fans overhyping a dman, who ends up where? Let's see in a couple of seasons. Meanwhile, it is nice that you are happy with him. I am not misaing him at all on our team.

I'll have to google for those guys. I don't even know where they are playing now.

Maatta and Despres are not that great examples because both of them had serious injuries or other health problems. Maatta had cancer ffs. Guys like Morrow and Pouliot though... I don't think they were overhyped, but they did end up as busts.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Maatta and Despres are not that great examples because both of them had serious injuries or other health problems. Maatta had cancer ffs. Guys like Morrow and Pouliot though... I don't think they were overhyped, but they did end up as busts.

Yeah Pouliot was the one I was thinking! Could not remember his name.

Still, we have heard this before. I'll just wait and see how he pans out and maybe in a few years, I'll feel bad for getting just a 6th for a player who would not have signed with us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pouliot was hyped up a lot after his rookie season with the Penguins, but comparing Marino to him is an insult to Marino. What Marino has shown is way better than anything Pouliot ever showed in Pittsburgh, even with his solid rookie season. Pouliot only had 1 good year and then regressed, and Marino is better pretty much across the board than Pouliot in his rookie year.

Marino is in the same category as Maatta (he's actually probably a little better, Maatta was more sheltered on the 13-14 Penguins team), and if Maatta didn't get absolutely ****ed with injuries and cancer, I think he'd be a fringe #2/3D right now. But even with those injuries, he still ended up being a reliable #4D. If Marino doesn't have injury problems like Maatta did, I expect him to end up a fringe #2/3D. Not quite as good as Dumoulin, but not much worse.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Still, we have heard this before. I'll just wait and see how he pans out and maybe in a few years, I'll feel bad for getting just a 6th for a player who would not have signed with us.

Maatta and Despres actually looked good at the NHL level, Pouliot's hype was when he was in junior and his first year pro . His hype died down pretty quick once it became clear he wasn't up to much at the highest level.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This thread reminds me of likes of Despres and Määttä. Pens fans overhyping a dman, who ends up where? Let's see in a couple of seasons. Meanwhile, it is nice that you are happy with him. I am not misaing him at all on our team.

I'll have to google for those guys. I don't even know where they are playing now.

Maatta got cancer, busted up his shoulder, was never the same as his rookie year, but still helped the Pens win b2b cups...

Despres got his skull egged and couldn’t play in the NHL anymore...

Are you suggesting Marino is going to get all busted up like them and have his career derailed?

And Pouliot was hyped for his junior career, he never got hyped for his play in the NHL as he usually struggled every time he came up.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If it were only Pens fans who were talking about how great he's been, you might have a point. Yet, it's pretty much every fanbase who've seen him play when their team played against the Pens that are commenting on it.

Also, I guess if Marino gets cancer and busts up his shoulders and/or has massive concussion issues, then sure, it'll be exactly like Maatta and Despres. Otherwise, it's not.

And that's not even touching on the fact Oilers fans are "hyping" Bear up to the same degree. So Pens fans are being goofy for doing it but Oilers fans aren't?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
the advanced stats suggest that john marino has been playing very well this year (as has ethan bear though bear sucked in years past).
upload_2019-12-11_9-27-41.png

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Marino is tracking towards a 40 pt season as a rookie. Very impressed with him. What's even more impressive is if his slow start isn't taken into account (first 12 games), then he'd be on pace for 57 pts!

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Marino is tracking towards a 40 pt season as a rookie. Very impressed with him. What's even more impressive is if his slow start isn't taken into account (first 12 games), then he'd be on pace for 57 pts!

what actually more impressive is that his offense has been the lesser part of his game.

analytically has been one of the better defensive defenders in the league.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's kinda redundant to keep bumping this thread everything he does something great, but holy **** this kid is good. He's already their 3rd best defenseman and he's going to be their 2nd best if he plays like this all year. And that's not a slight on Dumoulin, who's a #2 defenseman himself.

What's even more crazy about Marino is that he started off the year kinda slow, relative to how he has played recently. He had 0 points in his first 9 games, was only playing 17 minutes a night, was a -3 and had mediocre possession stats (good defense, bad offense). Since then, he has 15 points in 23 games, is playing 21:30 a night, is a +15 and has great possession stats (good defense and offense).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think it's kinda redundant to keep bumping this thread everything he does something great, but holy **** this kid is good. He's already their 3rd best defenseman and he's going to be their 2nd best if he plays like this all year. And that's not a slight on Dumoulin, who's a #2 defenseman himself.

What's even more crazy about Marino is that he started off the year kinda slow, relative to how he has played recently. He had 0 points in his first 9 games, was only playing 17 minutes a night, was a -3 and had mediocre possession stats (good defense, bad offense). Since then, he has 15 points in 23 games, is playing 21:30 a night, is a +15 and has great possession stats (good defense and offense).

Ya I am loving this gradual improvement he has been showing all year. Plus now in the past 5-10 games he has been getting alot of PP time. His all around game impresses the hell out of me

Reactions: BHD

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Need to get rid of this college loophole. Good of the Pens to take advantage at least the Oil got something if very little for a player that wouldnt sign with them

Apr 9, 2009
USA

The Pens have had a lot of success buying low and getting fantastic ROI. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I just figured it was worth noting that this is not the first time this has happened. Justin Schultz, Trevor Daley, Matt Niskanen just to name a few. Marino looks like he could turn out to be the best of the group. But, time will tell, like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad