Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign extension with Kris Russell (1 year, $1.25M)

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Rumour has they are already looking at extending Nuge. Would be really risky to not sign him even if they verbally agree as a team could end up stealing him away.

Nuge seems like the type to be an oiler for life, if there is a deal on a gentleman's handshake it will be honored by nuge 100 percent

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Edmonton actually improved their forward depth, and was able to replace Klefbom. Goaltending is disappointingly the same.

Vancouver didn't do any lateral moves. They lost very good forward depth, and downgraded their goaltending.

Goaltending is lateral to a minor downgrade, we also have on of the best goalie coaches. Nothing says Holtby can’t return to what he was a couple years ago. He was signed as Seattle fodder anyways
Offensively we did downgrade, I’ll give you that until we see if we do get Hoffman
Defensively we upgraded

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I am pretty sure this post won’t age well. Barrie will get 50 plus points and really mesh on our PP. While he will likely bolt, he will probably be viewed as a big name player next off season.
He’s always been seen as fine offensively, he’s a defence liability. If he’s a top end UFA next off season and doesn’t resign that just shows even more that my statement is correct

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
None of those are blockbuster signings...
You're just full of shit as usual. All three of those players were ranked at the top of their free agent class.

Aside from Tavares, who already had a connection with Toronto, who was the last superstar to sign with a Canadian team? Holding this against Edmonton is, predictably, stupid. Please look at a list of all the great players who have flocked to Vancouver since Messier signed there 23 years ago. It's not pretty.

Reactions: ani

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Goaltending is lateral to a minor downgrade
Offensively we did downgrade, I’ll give you that until we see if we do get Hoffman
Defensively we upgraded
We started last season with Gagner, Granlund, P. Russell and Sheahan and replaced them with Yamamoto, Turris, Ennis and Puljujarvi. I'd say the offense has been extremely upgraded.

Edit: I thought you were talking about the Oilers.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You're just full of shit as usual. All three of those players were ranked at the top of their free agent class.

Aside from Tavares, who already had a connection with Toronto, who was the last superstar to sign with a Canadian team? Holding this against Edmonton is, predictably, stupid. Please look at a list of all the great players who have flocked to Vancouver since Messier signed there 23 years ago. It's not pretty.

a little snippet for you, he wasn’t highly regarded and was overpaid

After a rocky start to the season, Sekera has settled into being a reliable top 4 defenseman for the Oilers. He’s been solid but unspectacular, averaging just over 21 minutes per game and scoring 30 points, the second best total of his career. The Oilers’ defensive struggles can’t be blamed on Sekera. He’s their #1 defenseman by default, but that’s because they really don’t have anyone better.
Coach Todd McLellan has smartly distributed ice time very evenly among his defensive corps instead of trying to ride Sekera as a 24-25 minute defenseman, which he simply is not. At $5.5m/year, Sekera is paid as a top 25 defenseman, which he is not.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Revising history just insults everyone's intelligence. We were there too. We know those were some of the biggest signings of those summers.
Mike Green and Cody Franson were both higher ranked UFA D that year

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
a little snippet for you, he wasn’t highly regarded and was overpaid

After a rocky start to the season, Sekera has settled into being a reliable top 4 defenseman for the Oilers. He’s been solid but unspectacular, averaging just over 21 minutes per game and scoring 30 points, the second best total of his career. The Oilers’ defensive struggles can’t be blamed on Sekera. He’s their #1 defenseman by default, but that’s because they really don’t have anyone better.
Coach Todd McLellan has smartly distributed ice time very evenly among his defensive corps instead of trying to ride Sekera as a 24-25 minute defenseman, which he simply is not. At $5.5m/year, Sekera is paid as a top 25 defenseman, which he is not.
Yes Sekera was highly regarded. He was the best defenseman available in 2015 and had several teams after him. He turned down more money from Colorado to go to Edmonton.

Lucic was still a good player in 2016 and turned down more money from the Canadiens to sign with the Oilers.

It sucks when you make a stupid claim and the actual facts dispute it, huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: ani and zar

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yes Sekera was highly regarded. He was the best defenseman available in 2015 and had several teams after him. He turned down less money from Colorado to go to Edmonton.

Lucic was still a good player in 2016 and turned down more money from the Canadiens to sign with the Oilers.

It sucks when you make a stupid claim and the actual facts dispute it, huh?

Nope because you’re wrong. It’s not hard to revisit UFA lists and see Sekera wasn’t the top D of that UFA group.

Anyways this is getting off track

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Nope because you’re wrong. It’s not hard to revisit UFA lists and see Sekera wasn’t the top D of that UFA group.

Anyways this is getting off track
You listing Cody Franson as a better player than Andrej Sekera says all I need to know about your hockey knowledge.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You listing Cody Franson as a better player than Andrej Sekera says all I need to know about your hockey knowledge.
I didn’t list anyone, I was going straight off what the actual free agent top 30 list :help: in which they were ranked higher

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I didn’t list anyone, I was going straight off what the actual free agent top 30 list :help: in which they were ranked higher
Post the list then instead of random snippets.

The Oilers needed a defenseman who could play both ends of the ice. They got the best one available that year.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Post the list then instead of random snippets.

The Oilers needed a defenseman who could play both ends of the ice. They got the best one available that year.
Your fingers appear to work, you’re more than welcome to google it

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Your fingers appear to work, you’re more than welcome to google it
Dubnyk tops TSN's Top 30 UFA list - TSN.ca

"Not highly regarded" Sekera is listed as the 3rd best defenseman on there, behind two offensive defensemen (Green/Franson). Franson was a product of the Toronto hype machine, didn't sign until September, and was out of the league in two seasons.

Another list with Sekera as the second best dman and 6th best overall:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-free-agents-unrestricted-2015-best/29442111/

So yeah, you're wrong again. Carry on.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

"Not highly regarded" Sekera is listed as the 3rd best defenseman on there, behind two offensive defensemen (Green/Franson). Franson was a product of the Toronto hype machine, didn't sign until September, and was out of the league in two seasons.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-free-agents-unrestricted-2015-best/29442111/

Wait, there's more: TSN Hockey Top 50 free agent list - TSN.ca

This one lists Lucic as the top free agent available this year.

"No one wants to sign in edmonton"

Reactions: ani and Del Preston

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Listed 4th and then second... neither have him as the top

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad