Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign extension with Kris Russell (1 year, $1.25M)

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Then why are you in here criticizing the Oilers for not signing a Pietrangelo or Tavares?
Because top free agents won’t sign there, just like how edmonton ends up on most players NTC lists, if it was a discussion about Vancouver it would be the same in regards to UFAs

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No we will be bribing seattle to take Neal or maybe Kassian if he doesn't pick up his play.

Good point! I don't see Neal going, though. That will be way too costly. Also, don't count Neal out this year. Maybe he wakes up and plays a full season. (Lol i'm hopless)

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ez b8
6C4995CA-455E-4DA6-8CD6-3204951DB7AF.jpeg

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Goaltending is lateral to a minor downgrade, we also have on of the best goalie coaches. Nothing says Holtby can’t return to what he was a couple years ago. He was signed as Seattle fodder anyways
Offensively we did downgrade, I’ll give you that until we see if we do get Hoffman
Defensively we upgraded

They went from a vezina candidate to a goalie trending in the wrong direction the last few years. That's not lateral. That is a more than a minor downgrade.

Yes Schmidt is a good d-man, but they also lost Tanev too. Would make that trade everyday, but Canucks are a worse team today than when the season ended.

Schmidt was a good move, but doesn't offset all the other talent lost.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It’s funny. Every time @FreeMcdavid gets called out, he disappears. Every time he makes an Oilers thread it either gets locked or gets erased completely from the mains. As usual these guys are wrong, always bringing up how no one wants to sign here when in reality the Canucks is the epitome of an empty franchise giving their fans nothing to cheer about for the past half century... this all while not being able to sign any free agent of note since who? As Del noted that last great FA being the best and most decorated captain they’ve ever had in Messier in the late 1990’s?

I’m f***ing dead mate. :skull:

Last edited by a moderator:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
None of those are blockbuster signings...
All of them were the biggest most sought after names on the market in their respective positions and years. Souray was one of the best offensive D men in the league at the time and his 5.5 million dollar a year deal made him one of the highest paid D men in the league. Lucic was the most sought after free agent his year and the biggest signing of the day. Sekera was also the best D available that year and was one of the biggest signings of the day. Schultz is another good one he was courted by almost every team. Definitely all big signings.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It’s funny. Every time @FreeMcdavid gets called out, he disappears. Every time he makes an Oilers thread it either gets locked or gets erased completely from the mains. As usual these guys are wrong, always bringing up how no one wants to sign here when in reality the Canucks is the epitome of an empty franchise giving their fans nothing to cheer about for the past half century... this all while not being able to sign any free agent of note since who? As Del noted that last great FA being the best and most decorated captain they’ve ever had in Messier in the late 1990’s?

I’m f***ing dead mate. :skull:
That empty franchise is a top revenue earner for the league :help:

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't. I'm just saying who actually cares which teams are the top revenue teams, besides the owners? All I care about is whether or not my team can spend to the cap or not.

You can’t call a team “the epitome of an empty franchise” when it’s one of the teams that helps prop the league up. I get where you’re coming from though

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You can’t call a team “the epitome of an empty franchise” when it’s one of the teams that helps prop the league up. I get where you’re coming from though
Its empty no matter what you say. Look at the rafters, from presidents trophy champs to... Trevor Linden? :skull:
A2C87FA4-1950-448D-9AE2-A39AA22D1B48.gif

Anyways I don’t want to get too far off topic. This is a great signing by Holland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Meets expansion draft exposure requirements but does nothing for the team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Cheap enough to be expansion draft fodder . Seems alright i guess.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Three on Zero seems to be making multiple arguments, honestly...

There's this...

None of those are on a Pietrangelo, Tavares... etc level all mid tier

And this...

Mike Green and Cody Franson were both higher ranked UFA D that year

By argument 1, there's a big name free agent actually available, say, every 3-4 years... and there are only like 6 or 7 desirable UFA destinations

Argument 2 is just odd. By that logic, a guy like Barrie is one of the more desirable FAs this offseason. Cody Franson was always known as a dubious defender, and wasn't picked up until late that summer. I mean, you can make an argument for an offensive defenseman bringing value in the right role to the right team, but you certainly can't argue he was an objectively more attractive FA target

Anyways, this is a nice signing by the Oilers. Russell is a competent defender, who's versatile enough to play either side and higher in the rotation if necessary. I doubt Seattle claims him, but he's cheap depth that Edmonton could move if they want to clear space for their younger D (or even bury him, but I don't see it coming to that)

Reactions: Del Preston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad