Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign extension with Kris Russell (1 year, $1.25M)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Oh he does something. It just isnt good.
provides veteran presence, can play both sides, jumps into top 4 role in a pinch and saves us from granting Jones a roster spot.
Oilers would rather have a vet sitting up in the PB than Bouchard\ Broberg etc as #7

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gotta get in on that Kris Russell action early. Bottom pairing guys that spend the entire night in their own zone don't come around too often.

Good on Kris. Always liked him and his family, good folks out of Caroline; legit cowboys. It's crazy to think this undersized defenceman who has absolutely no fear will be in the league longer or equal to the entire first round draft class of d-men from his draft year. I think only Jack Johnson and Marc Staal are the two lone survivors from that year remaining, and they're on their last limbs.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Gotta get in on that Kris Russell action early. Bottom pairing guys that spend the entire night in their own zone don't come around too often
Corsi is hardly used anymore to evaluate individuals but Russell’s rep as the poster boy for overrated eye test guy remains.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, I do see him on the roster, genius.

Toronto Maple Leafs 2019 Roster
He played but he was a non-roster forward. Get a clue and check out Cap friendly.
Oh and btw
upload_2020-10-22_11-1-8.png

Reactions: Slyfox

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
provides veteran presence, can play both sides, jumps into top 4 role in a pinch and saves us from granting Jones a roster spot.
Oilers would rather have a vet sitting up in the PB than Bouchard\ Broberg etc as #7
Bouchard coming up this year?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You think Martin Marincin is a forward and you're telling me to get a clue.

Classic.

Never change, you're killing it here!
Is he a noted troll or something?Reading through you got upset at nothing and then missed his actual point badly. Then tried to claim victory bc he said forward. I apologize if I missed some context but i dont see where your hostility came from

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
You think Martin Marincin is a forward and you're telling me to get a clue.

Classic.

Never change, you're killing it here!
fingers moving faster than brain but you know full well what I meant. Again...talk about something you know. Marincin isnt a roster spot. It aint hockey

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Is he a noted troll or something?Reading through you got upset at nothing and then missed his actual point badly. Then tried to claim victory bc he said forward. I apologize if I missed some context but i dont see where your hostility came from

I'm not hostile at all, but I find it hilarious that a Maple Leafs fan would be mocking another team's defense, thats all.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hard to say. He had a strong AHL year and several pundits think he’s ready. I personally think it depends a lot on how long the NHL season turns out to be. If it’s a compressed 40 game season, they may just let him develop another year. If it’s a 60+ game season and Larsson's back flares up, he could play quite a bit. It’s very nice having Larsson/Bear/Barrie already there and not having to rush a prospect for a change.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
After this signing, likely not.
Russell (and even Jones) can play RD so we wont need Bouchard to come up and play as #7D behind Bear, Larsson, Barrie.
Bouchard is playing LD currently I believe so he may still stick due to Klefbom being out.

Nurse-Barrie
Jones-Bear
Bouchard-Larsson
Russell

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
After this signing, likely not.
Russell (and even Jones) can play RD so we wont need Bouchard to come up and play as #7D behind Bear, Larsson, Barrie.
Bouchard is playing LD currently I believe so he may still stick due to Klefbom being out.

Nurse-Barrie
Jones-Bear
Bouchard-Larsson
Russell

I'd switch Bear and Barrie, but I like those pairings if Bouchard can make it happen at LD.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
He very well may be ready, but with Barrie/Bear/Larsson all already on the right side I don’t see it happening. Unless Larsson can move to the left side or something I think he gets another year in the AHL to overripen.
Bouchard is a stud

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Russel was the Oilers best D-man in the qualifying round imo.
I guess that's a bit damning on how the rest of the D performed. With extra exclamation marks for Klefbom and Larsson. They were hurt and when they're hurt.. which is a lot.. they're awful.. and they were.. well awful.

It's signings like this that point out the truly ignorant hockey fans. Which unfortunately is alot just by reading some of the braniacs in this thread.

Omg Oilers signed Russel.. Get on the Oiler bash!

The Oilers do a lot of dumb things that don't work out and deserve a ton of flac trust me.

You want to bash Edmonton's D.. then bash the ones that deserve it.

Oscar Klefbom - Can't stay healthy for the life of him. That's nobodies fault and just sucks in general. He can have some great stretches where he can be one of the top 30 dmen in the league. I'm guessing he's healthy then. Those stretches are rare though because well.. he's always hurt in some capacity. My guess is his shoulder is beyond repair which is quite unfortunate.
Adam Larson - Can't stay healthy either, then his father passes away. I don't blame him or the team. but the fact is he hasn't helped the team much at all the last 3 years.
Darnel Nurse - Now here's a guy that you can debate. He has his good moments, but also has his bad moments. He trasnports the puck out which gives him good zone escape metrics.. but they don't tell the story of how much of a black hole he is after he gets past his own blue line. It may be one of the least creative offensive games I've seen.
Ethan Bear - was good in regular season. That qualifier was rough. Rookie pass
Kris Russel - Is actually a damn good 3rd pairing d-man. I'll go so far to say that he's probably one of the better 3rd pairing dman in the league.

The Oilers have a bad defence imo. But Russel is the least of the worries.
Klefbom, and Larson are good enough to be a top paring in theory.. in reality they're so banged up physically and emotionally they just can't handle top forwards and the minutes.
It drives Nurse up to top pairing responsibilities which he just can't handle.
From there the rest just fall like dominos.

And the forwards don't do them any favors what so ever defensively. Pittsburgh for example is a team I find insulates their defense very well. Edmonton is the complete opposite.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Not every team can come into the league with the greatest player to ever play. The same team that’s done nothing since
Sure they have done nothing since except be more competent than the Canucks at signing high profile UFA’s and currently having a couple of players in their prime better than anyone who has ever put on a Canucks jersey.
Anyways, I’m not going to bother derailing this thread anymore.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Russel was the Oilers best D-man in the qualifying round imo.
I guess that's a bit damning on how the rest of the D performed. With extra exclamation marks for Klefbom and Larsson. They were hurt and when they're hurt.. which is a lot.. they're awful.. and they were.. well awful.

It's signings like this that point out the truly ignorant hockey fans. Which unfortunately is alot just by reading some of the braniacs in this thread.

Omg Oilers signed Russel.. Get on the Oiler bash!

The Oilers do a lot of dumb things that don't work out and deserve a ton of flac trust me.

You want to bash Edmonton's D.. then bash the ones that deserve it.

Oscar Klefbom - Can't stay healthy for the life of him. That's nobodies fault and just sucks in general. He can have some great stretches where he can be one of the top 30 dmen in the league. I'm guessing he's healthy then. Those stretches are rare though because well.. he's always hurt in some capacity. My guess is his shoulder is beyond repair which is quite unfortunate.
Adam Larson - Can't stay healthy either, then his father passes away. I don't blame him or the team. but the fact is he hasn't helped the team much at all the last 3 years.
Darnel Nurse - Now here's a guy that you can debate. He has his good moments, but also has his bad moments. He trasnports the puck out which gives him good zone escape metrics.. but they don't tell the story of how much of a black hole he is after he gets past his own blue line. It may be one of the least creative offensive games I've seen.
Ethan Bear - was good in regular season. That qualifier was rough. Rookie pass
Kris Russel - Is actually a damn good 3rd pairing d-man. I'll go so far to say that he's probably one of the better 3rd pairing dman in the league.

The Oilers have a bad defence imo. But Russel is the least of the worries.
Klefbom, and Larson are good enough to be a top paring in theory.. in reality they're so banged up physically and emotionally they just can't handle top forwards and the minutes.
It drives Nurse up to top pairing responsibilities which he just can't handle.
From there the rest just fall like dominos.

And the forwards don't do them any favors what so ever defensively. Pittsburgh for example is a team I find insulates their defense very well. Edmonton is the complete opposite.
Well said, Russell isn’t that bad it was the price tag attached to him that was. This was clearly a Seattle signing but at good value

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Kind of surprised that the Oilers didn’t significantly upgrade the D and goaltending this off season tbh. Losing Klefblom and adding Barrie is a lateral move at best on what was already a pretty poor D and their goaltending still looks below average. There were a lot of D and goalies available at reasonable prices this time around.
Going to be a fun team to watch this year. In both a good and bad way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad