Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign extension with Kris Russell (1 year, $1.25M)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You listing Cody Franson as a better player than Andrej Sekera says all I need to know about your hockey knowledge.

As an Oiler fan I have to say you have reading problems . He didn’t say he was better . He said he was a more sought after UFA or in his words he said Sekera wasn’t the top UFA D and listed 2 players whom he believes were above Sekera . I get disagreeing with him but why change what he said to suit your agenda ?

OiledGun

Sep 2, 2011
Your fingers appear to work, you’re more than welcome to google it
What website are you looking at? Sportsnet has mike green as 1 (he was coming off a great year) and then Sekera as number six on the list. Franson was number 8.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
As an Oiler fan I have to say you have reading problems . He didn’t say he was better . He said he was a more sought after UFA or in his words he said Sekera wasn’t the top UFA D and listed 2 players whom he believes were above Sekera . I get disagreeing with him but why change what he said to suit your agenda ?
I didn't change what he said. The player he is claiming was more sought after didn't sign for two months and for much less than Sekera got. It's a ridiculous post.

I suggest looking at his post history before defending him next time. He knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
What website are you looking at? Sportsnet has mike green as 1 (he was coming off a great year) and then Sekera as number six on the list. Franson was number 8.
TSN top 30 UFAS for that year, he was the 4th ranked defenceman

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't change what he said. The player he is claiming was more sought after didn't sign for two months and for much less than Sekera got. It's a ridiculous post.

I suggest looking at his post history before defending him next time. He knows what he's doing.
You forgot to mention how I’ve also been a faithful STH who currently holds 4 seats, my gripes will remain until the old boys club is tossed. Holland is the first step in the right direction in over a decade

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kind of surprised that the Oilers didn’t significantly upgrade the D and goaltending this off season tbh. Losing Klefblom and adding Barrie is a lateral move at best on what was already a pretty poor D and their goaltending still looks below average. There were a lot of D and goalies available at reasonable prices this time around.
Going to be a fun team to watch this year. In both a good and bad way.

I mean they did basically get the best UFA D available in the 4-6 million.

The Oilers allowed less goals than the Canucks and Flames and Leafs last year, yet it's funny to me somehow they have simultaneously terrible D + goaltending.

Like people for whatever reason take shots at Koskinen when he had a way better save percentage last year (like miles better) than Demko and Holtby. Holtby was even below Mike Smith. A handful of games in a bubble and we're supposed to overlook that though I guess.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
There's a world of difference between "being critical" and mocking.

People in glass houses and what have you.

I don't think that the "glass houses" logic works for sports fans. It's not like Bob BeerLeague chooses who plays for the Maple Leaves or Coyotes. I think you have to separate the team from the fan in this case and allow the fan to use either critical or mocking language to express his opinion.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Kenny picking up the scraps still? Smith and now Russell.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kenny picking up the scraps still? Smith and now Russell.

Coming from a fan of a team that picked up nothing but scraps this offseason outside of Brodie.

Every team is going to have scrap signings. Russell is perfectly fine at that price, he's a solid bottom pairing D on most teams.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Coming from a fan of a team that picked up nothing but scraps this offseason.

Every team is going to have scrap signings. Russell is perfectly fine at that price, he's a solid bottom pairing D on most teams.

It’s partially true, but two different scenarios.

Leafs needed scraps to fill out the bottom 6. All I heard was how the oilers were going to finally upgrade their goaltending and d, but they bring back those scraps in smith and Russell. The OEL rumours, Markstrom etc and yet they bring those guys back.

Also Brodie was a big upgrade for the leafs. Not just scraps.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It’s true but two different scenarios.

Leafs needed scraps to fill out the bottom 6. All I heard was how the oilers were going to finally upgrade their goaltending and d, but they bring back those scraps in smith and Russell. The OEL rumours, Markstrom etc and yet they bring those guys back.

As a Leafs fan, you should understand how a cap crunch limits their ability to sign impact players.

Holland was all in on Markstrom and lost out so instead he spent it on an entire 3rd line for around $4M combined and Barrie to upgrade the defense once all the decent goalies were off the market. Considering the limited resources he had to work with, that's pretty solid work.
The Russell signing was for expansion purposes because they didn't have enough Dmen to meet the exposure requirement with the Klefbom injury and because Russell is a quietly effective bottom pairing Dman and a solid vet. It's a signing that makes sense for all parties.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
As a Leafs fan, you should understand how a cap crunch limits their ability to sign impact players.

Holland was all in on Markstrom and lost out so instead he spent it on an entire 3rd line for around $4M combined and Barrie to upgrade the defense once all the decent goalies were off the market. Considering the limited resources he had to work with, that's pretty solid work.
The Russell signing was for expansion purposes because they didn't have enough Dmen to meet the exposure requirement with the Klefbom injury and because Russell is a quietly effective bottom pairing Dman and a solid vet. It's a signing that makes sense for all parties.

I mean yeah it’s no risk 1 year deals but we heard a lot of rumours the oilers were gunna upgrade big this offseason on D and goaltending. After the play in rounds you can’t honestly say you wanted smith back.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I mean yeah it’s no risk 1 year deals but we heard a lot of rumours the oilers were gunna upgrade big this offseason on D and goaltending. After the play in rounds you can’t honestly say you wanted smith back.

The Smith signing was a letdown no doubt but it was either sign Barrie or spend bigger on a goalie. They didn't have the ability to upgrade both positions.
Also, they were 11-1-4 with Smith in net in January and February when they made their playoff push so it's being overexaggerated how bad he was last season.

Essentially he upgraded the 3rd line and defense at the expense of the goaltending. All 3 needs weren't going to be filled this offseason.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
$1.125M can be buried in the AHL next year without any cap hit. I'm surprised that number isn't more common for guys like this.

I like this signing. Make the young guys earn a spot and if they can then bury or trade Russell.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

While I was hoping for an upgrade, Smith had a decent season last year. Unlike some other teams, we are not running players out of town for one bad game.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The Smith signing was a letdown no doubt but it was either sign Barrie or spend bigger on a goalie. They didn't have the ability to upgrade both positions.
Also, they were 11-1-4 with Smith in net in January and February when they made their playoff push so it's being overexaggerated how bad he was last season.

Essentially he upgraded the 3rd line and defense at the expense of the goaltending. All 3 needs weren't going to be filled this offseason.

I agree with the bolded by the way...

I actually credit Smith early in the season to changing our team's attitude to Team-Defense. He's a fiery competitive player and a true vet. I think he raised the competitive bar on the team and helped hold everybody accountable (including himself).

It's no wonder there was a spiral of negativity in Dec when his own play suffered a bit, players slumped themselves, then got back to work and rallied hard in Jan. These types of dynamics happen all the time in teams and Smith is a guy that helped our team keep pulse and work itself out of issues.

Just my highly-biased view of his role in our team leadership. He was a positive addition. (not sure we needed him for another year, his good work was done, but not against it either given the options available)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Do Kraken eat Starfish? Should be easy to get them to take him...

Goaltending is lateral to a minor downgrade, we also have on of the best goalie coaches. Nothing says Holtby can’t return to what he was a couple years ago. He was signed as Seattle fodder anyways
Offensively we did downgrade, I’ll give you that until we see if we do get Hoffman
Defensively we upgraded

How exactly would you be getting Hoffman? I'm genuinely curious what the movements would be to sign him. Current cap space is literally $0

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Do Kraken eat Starfish? Should be easy to get them to take him...

How exactly would you be getting Hoffman? I'm genuinely curious what the movements would be to sign him. Current cap space is literally $0

That’s the GMs job to figure out, he’s been rumoured to have given the Canucks a grace period to get it to work.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
That’s the GMs job to figure out, he’s been rumoured to have given the Canucks a grace period to get it to work.

Okay, but what do you think he is worth for AAV? What would you be willing to pay? I don't think it's an unreasonable a question, since your grading of two offseasons apparently hinges on it. Maybe it's just me, but it's a bit of a cop out to bring it up and then just shrug.

Sutters buyout gives the Canucks two million in cap hit, assuming they can still buy him out and the second window hasn't closed for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->