Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign extension with Kris Russell (1 year, $1.25M)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Those arent me saying nobody wants to sign in Edmonton thats just me replying on appropriate thread saying that that specific player didnt want to sign in Edmonton. No need for over sensitivity.

Barrie chose Edmonton over Van ! congrats

What kind of Orwellian type doublespeak is this?

You realize people can read right? This is just sad. Your meltdown HFNucks afterwards when you guys lost out on Markstrom and Barrie was especially hilarious.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Perhaps Holland holds off on signing Nuge until after the expansion draft giving room for someone else.

Rumour has they are already looking at extending Nuge. Would be really risky to not sign him even if they verbally agree as a team could end up stealing him away.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Stilly salty your "no one will sign in Edmontonz" drum blew up in your face huh? Extra funny that it was a player the Canucks offered more money to and is from B.C.
I mean... I wouldn’t exactly call signing Barrie a blockbuster signing, no big fish UFAs are willing to sign there and that’s the issue, not the mid tier UFAs

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I mean... I wouldn’t exactly call signing Barrie a blockbuster signing, no big fish UFAs are willing to sign there and that’s the issue, not the mid tier UFAs
I think that’s the major problem. They have the best player in the world and another at least top 10 forward. They are both young. If that doesn’t attract players to sign how will it get any better? Especially when drafting is meh it’s very hard to capitalize on trades

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Not sure how im acting all high and mighty, never said anything about the Canucks defence being superior.

but the Oilers being on same level as the Canucks should be unacceptable to me if I was an Oiler fan after numerous 1st overall picks and decade plus long of darkness and rebuilding.

At this point they should be far superior than the Canucks in every aspect.

To be fair they look like they are for next season.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I am pretty sure this post won’t age well. Barrie will get 50 plus points and really mesh on our PP. While he will likely bolt, he will probably be viewed as a big name player next off season.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Sekera, Lucic, Souray. If anything the oilers sign too many big ticket UFA’s and it’s given them problems.
It's especially funny when the "no one wants to sign in Edmonton" crap is coming from a pair of Vancouver trolls, as if UFAs are desperate to go to the Canucks. The biggest free agent they've signed in the last 15 years is Dan Hamhuis, and he went there because he wanted to play close to home. Real impressive.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
As a non neutral fan (kings), this deal is fine for the oilers.

They needed someone to expose for the expansion draft and the term and cap hit are very reasonable. He's reliable defensively. He only needs 15 more games to fill the games played requirement so unless there's a sudden drop off in play where they don't want to play him that much, the oilers are set for the defenseman requirement for the draft.

If they didn't extend him they would have to get someone else somehow or expose a player they want to keep.

If he doesn't play well at all, most of his cap hit can be buried. this is just a common sense deal for them.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Eh, both teams are coming out of this off season with lateral moves at best.

Edmonton actually improved their forward depth, and was able to replace Klefbom. Goaltending is disappointingly the same.

Vancouver didn't do any lateral moves. They lost very good forward depth, and downgraded their goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad