Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Tyson Barrie (3 years, $4.5M AAV)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Edmonton is realistically the perfect storm for Barrie. It's just unfortunate they don't have the other pieces to cover his deficiencies(Much like Vancouver).
I mean Nurse as a partner is a good start. Worked well last year and at one point looked like one of the better pairings in the League.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Bear + 1st for Kuemper + 3rd?

raw

Would be an awful trade for Edmonton.

Reactions: Morrison and banks

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
The Barrie hate is unreal :laugh: the guy fit well with us and outside of the one half bad year with Toronto, what has he done to warrant the hate? He’s a flawed player, we know that. His asking price would be a lot higher if he was elite defensively given how good he is offensively.

Ideally, Barrie is on the second pairing but our right side is weak and he played well with Nurse so I’m assuming we go back to that

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Last year everyone said Barrie would suck for us. I knew for a fact he would work out well, cause as an Oiler fan I actually watch the team and have an idea of what the team needs. What it needed was someone like Barrie, who could move the puck, shoot the puck, and join plays with our talent forwards. He ended up leading the League in defenceman scoring while also playing vastly better defensively than I was told he would.

We know he’s not the best defensive defence-man out there, but he’s adequate, especially paired with a guy like Nurse. I look forward to more of his bombs and creativity in the o-zone.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Barrie getting paid to put up empty stats, lets goo
He's the league leader in D points so it becomes a bit impossible for the stats to be empty. At under 5 it's a reasonable deal.

However as an Oiler fan I'm still against this. What are we doing with Bouchard? Should we just trade him or what?

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Gonna copy paste what I wrote in the Oilers board b/c I'm too lazy: Also I brought this up yesterday and have been having this idea since the end of playoffs but didn't want to share it because I didn't know if we'd bring him back, but hear me out: Tyson Barrie 1st line right wing.

Tyson Barrie was the second best player who was a defenseman on the Edmonton Oilers last year, anybody that thinks otherwise is delusional. Tyson Barrie was also the worst defensive player on the Oilers defense corps last year and I think we can all agree with that. The guy never backchecks anyway, can't position properly, constantly loses puck battles, and is always looking to cheat offensively to join the rush or pinch in the opposing zone. Why not just say f*** it and let him always pinch/always join the rush/always go balls out offense? Obviously a big part of Tyson Barrie's offense is the playmaking, but he doesn't actually often land those long tape to tape stretch passes someone like Bouchard, Klefa, or Nurse can, and most of his assists seemed to be off him working in close with a pass or off a rebound from his big shot. He wasn't exactly an even strength offensive dynamo last year, just above average, his calling card has always been is powerplay game. He also has an absolute howitzer of a point shot which I'd imagine would look great as a one timer off the wall, I could absolutely see him being a 20 goal 60 point guy as a winger especially since you can still let him keep his office as the team's power play quarterback where he does his most damage, and lets us give the 6 defensemen more rest as a unit b/c nobody will have to be on the top PP unit. I assume Barrie will be cancer bad defensively as a wing, but he is already unwatchable in his own zone anyway and a defensive liabilty RW is easier to make up for than defensive liability RHD.

Another thing is I don't know how Oilers fans are comfortable with the 50 point pace dude who was stapled to a 150 point pace center's wing and a 30 point pace dude who was stapled to a 120 point center's wing as our top 2 right wingers. I believe in both Poolparty/Yamamoto, but not as our 1st line right wing, I believe in them as our team's 2nd/3rd line right wingers. They both have the defensive play/tenacious forechecking/grindy game suited for 3rd line so it's not like we'd be taking them out of their niche/comfort zone. If Tyson Barrie works out as a top 6 right wing at 3 years 4.5 million dollars and lets us play Pool/Yamo down the depth chart where they can execute with less pressure we're laughing our asses off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: