Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Tyson Barrie (3 years, $4.5M AAV)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Leading the league in scoring by D men is a decent one trick at that price and term.

If he was as good defensively as he is offensively we’d be talking about a perennial Norris candidate pulling in $9m+

Obviously.

Its great that he lead in scoring. But worth noting it was the first time in history the d-man with the most points did not receive any Norris votes. Tells you a lot

Reactions: guzzy

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They’d be better off with another, consistent solid defensive D, but if you can’t actually find one Barrie is better than nothing

decent enough deal for a one dimensional defenseman
Maybe, maybe not. It was kind of refreshing seeing defence who could move the puck and weren't constantly hemming themselves in their own end. Larsson did that to himself a lot, but he also made up for it with very strong physical play below the dot and in front of the net.

A lot of it comes down to philosophy. If you can create a puck moving defence who can play adequately good enough D then you can achieve similar results by having the puck more and having to defend less.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Maybe, maybe not. It was kind of refreshing seeing defence who could move the puck and weren't constantly hemming themselves in their own end. Larsson did that to himself a lot, but he also made up for it with very strong physical play below the dot and in front of the net.

A lot of it comes down to philosophy. If you can create a puck moving defence who can play adequately good enough D then you can achieve similar results by having the puck more and having to defend less.
Except the Oilers can only do that with two lines. Their depth was terrible last year and they were exposed In the playoffs.

Aug 3, 2010
Something I don't understand…

Nobody is saying Barrie's the next Orr, or even the next Karlsson or Green but if a pending UFA leads in scoring as a defenceman in the prior season, how does he not get a bigger contract than 4.5m, either from his current team or on the free market??

Either his agent sucks or he's… somehow not very good, which is weird.

I can't even tell if Oilers fans are happy.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Nobody is saying Barrie's the next Orr, or even the next Karlsson or Green but if a pending UFA leads in scoring as a defenceman in the prior season, how does he not get a bigger contract than 4.5m, either from his current team or on the free market??

He was gifted points with McDrai, he’s not good. He was signed for what his true market value would have been

Reactions: bossram

Bond

May 10, 2012
I'm surprised another team wouldn't give him more. Was he real bad in Toronto, I can't remember.

Reactions: LFCTML

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He likes playing with McDavid and Draisaitl.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Orrrr, and bear with me here, he WANTS to stay with the Oilers and took another discount?

Shocking, I know.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
I'm surprised another team wouldn't give him more. Was he real bad in Toronto, I can't remember.

I would say more disappointing than bad. We expected more from him offensively and knew he was pretty much a defensive train-wreck. I was happy when he left but not Jake Gardiner happy if that makes sense.

Reactions: Bond

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He must be the luckiest player on earth then… cause he did the exact same thing on the avalanche.

Pretending Barrie doesn’t have skills is just stupid.
He has offensive skill, but that’s all he has

Dean Char

HardcoreoilfanBC
Feb 27, 2021
He will probably lead league defensemen in scoring again and not get a single Norris vote, do Oiler fans give a damn if he gets Norris vote? No.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The deal is actually pretty reasonable given what Barrie is.

The bigger issue is how Holland has gone about building the blueline. Running back Nurse/Barrie and then a 2nd pair of Keith/Ceci is just...not good.

I'm not much of a Kris Russell fan, but he is literally their best defensive defenseman. That's not exactly optimal for a team that should be contending.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Is Barrie really the defenseman that the Oilers need or is he the defenseman they ended up with because Holland is Holland?
I don't see this as an improvement to the d corp. At best its a lateral move.
Right now Edmonton's defense isn't looking any better than it was last year.
Barrie is a great additional piece but any team that has him as a core piece is in trouble.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why is everything combined in one thread? Really annoying to read through this when I'm looking for reactions to the signing, when the first few pages are just speculation and the actual signing announcement is randomly buried somewhere in the middle.

Faryn

Dec 11, 2009
Calgary AB
Is Barrie really the defenseman that the Oilers need or is he the defenseman they ended up with because Holland is Holland?
I don't see this as an improvement to the d corp. At best its a lateral move.
Right now Edmonton's defense isn't looking any better than it was last year.
Barrie is a great additional piece but any team that has him as a core piece is in trouble.

Of course its lateral, he was on the team last year... If this signing wasn't made it would have been a step back and that isn't a slight on Bouchard but he is still only 21 and its better to not force him into a position he isn't ready for.

What a lot of people also seem to forget from last year... when it came to the Oilers PP the forwards did stay out for close to the full two minutes but the D did change halfway through so having Barrie for the first half and put in Bouchard for the second half is a good look. There is no reason to gift Bouchard to the Nurse pairing; he should earn that right so having Barrie pushing Bouchard down the lineup is not a bad thing and if he does earn it having Barrie's offence on a more shelter pairing isn't bad either.

Not really the place to make this comment but there is a lot of young D in the oiler system bubbling up - I would not be surprised if Samorukov surprises in camp. Broberg will start in the AHL but I think he push's into a few games by year end. Lagesson looked strong in limited showings last year. The strides are not in the new acquisitions but in the progression of their prospects. Jones and Bear stalled and that was the main reason for the departures... Keith will not play the same role with the Oilers as he did in Chicago and I anticipate a bit of a resurgence in a minimized role and will be a good mentor to the young D.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Of course its lateral, he was on the team last year... If this signing wasn't made it would have been a step back and that isn't a slight on Bouchard but he is still only 21 and its better to not force him into a position he isn't ready for.

What a lot of people also seem to forget from last year... when it came to the Oilers PP the forwards did stay out for close to the full two minutes but the D did change halfway through so having Barrie for the first half and put in Bouchard for the second half is a good look. There is no reason to gift Bouchard to the Nurse pairing; he should earn that right so having Barrie pushing Bouchard down the lineup is not a bad thing and if he does earn it having Barrie's offence on a more shelter pairing isn't bad either.

Not really the place to make this comment but there is a lot of young D in the oiler system bubbling up - I would not be surprised if Samorukov surprises in camp. Broberg will start in the AHL but I think he push's into a few games by year end. Lagesson looked strong in limited showings last year. The strides are not in the new acquisitions but in the progression of their prospects. Jones and Bear stalled and that was the main reason for the departures... Keith will not play the same role with the Oilers as he did in Chicago and I anticipate a bit of a resurgence in a minimized role and will be a good mentor to the young D.
I guess my point is that last year Edmonton was 3rd in the league in High Danger Scoring Chances Against (223) and were only beat out by sad sack San Jose and Anaheim (233 & 232 respectively). To put this statistic more into context Colorado, Washington, and Dallas had the lowest at 102, 111, 115.
I don't see Edmonton improving this year. Re-signing Barrie, trading for Keith, signing Ceci and trading young dman Bear for fwd Foegele just isn't enough to move the needle. I think the needle is going to stay exactly where it was last year. Edmonton had a bad defense last year and this year its still bad. I think Holland could/should have done better.

Faryn

Dec 11, 2009
Calgary AB
I guess my point is that last year Edmonton was 3rd in the league in High Danger Scoring Chances Against (223) and were only beat out by sad sack San Jose and Anaheim (233 & 232 respectively). To put this statistic more into context Colorado, Washington, and Dallas had the lowest at 102, 111, 115.
I don't see Edmonton improving this year. Re-signing Barrie, trading for Keith, signing Ceci and trading young dman Bear for fwd Foegele just isn't enough to move the needle. I think the needle is going to stay exactly where it was last year. Edmonton had a bad defense last year and this year its still bad. I think Holland could/should have done better.

haha yes the defense was a tire fire at times but in general the north was an very offensive so the stats last year do need to be taken with a grain of salt. For context look at Colorado and the teams they needed to face... really the only other dangerous team in their division was Vegas (you can maybe include Minnesota too). This year Edmonton will be back in that division and will benefit from it... a second point and what people do seem to forget quite often is that forward support does account to team defense and I would argue that the Oilers lack of depth on forward had as much to do with the high danger shots as the D did.

I might be in the minority here but my concern is more with Edmonton's bottom 6 forwards (and goalie) then it is with our D.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
As a Leaf fan who was excited when the trade with Colorado was announced, and a big Barrie fan at that point, YES. He was pretty terrible for most of his tenure here. He was an NHLer, but he certainly wasn't worth $4 million.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

The Pacific is the worst division in hockey, the North was a better division than what the Pacific is. I wouldn’t be surprised if their points percentage is even higher than it was last year.

They’ll likely be a top 2 team in the Pacific, the 1st and prospects should be in play to make an in season trade for another D man and possibly a goalie if they don’t pick up another one.

The roster is more than good enough to comfortably make the playoffs, but that shouldn’t be the goal. Taking the next steps and winning rounds should be priority.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Pacific is the worst division in hockey, the North was a better division than what the Pacific is. I wouldn’t be surprised if their points percentage is even higher than it was last year.

They’ll likely be a top 2 team in the Pacific, the 1st and prospects should be in play to make an in season trade for another D man and possibly a goalie if they don’t pick up another one.

The roster is more than good enough to comfortably make the playoffs, but that shouldn’t be the goal. Taking the next steps and winning rounds should be priority.
And thats the rub.. when 5v5 play becomes even more important because teams in the playoffs play better defense and there are fewer penalties called. Last year Edmonton lived off its PP but 5v5 thy were the 4th worst team in the league when it came to high danger scoring chances for. That combined with being a general tire fire in HDA was not a good combination for playoff hockey.
Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see how Holland has improved the team this offseason with perhaps the exception of acquiring Hyman. Also, your goaltending is still suspect and the pool of available good goalies is drying up fast.
Hopefully for Oiler fans Holland still has something up his sleeve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad