Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Tyson Barrie (3 years, $4.5M AAV)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think Barrie is one of the few dmen where he continually racks up the points and yet no one is tricked into thinking he's that good.
Props to the GMs and media for unusually accurate evaluations I guess :laugh:

Reactions: HabsQC and 1989

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Barrie makes a routine 5 foot pass to McJesus who proceeds to dangle past the entire team by himself.

Oilers fans "He should win the Norris"

Good for Barrie but he might be one of the worst defensive D-men I have ever seen. It's Gardiner, Barrie, Hughes. Hughes is still young and has potential to turn it around but his defensive liabilities bring his value down significantly. As a fan of an opposing team I gotta say I'm extremely happy he's on Edmonton.

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
Barrie makes a routine 5 foot pass to McJesus who proceeds to dangle past the entire team by himself.

Good for Barrie but he might be one of the worst defensive D-men I have ever seen. It's Gardiner, Barrie, Hughes. Hughes is still young and has potential to turn it around but his defensive liabilities bring his value down significantly. As a fan of an opposing team I gotta say I'm extremely happy he's on Edmonton.
I don't think anyone really said Barrie deserved any Norris votes. Nurse was the better dman on that pairing

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Why do you even care about Edmonton? Just go back to watching your team lose to Boston in the first round. K thnx bye.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Congrats Oilers fans

the negativity here is stupid. The guy can play with McD and rack up points from the blue line which the Oilers didn’t really have before. Let Nurse carry the defensive load of the pairing

seeing how some really bad defenseman signed for over 3m all over his salary is very good on a short term

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Congrats Oilers fans

the negativity here is stupid. The guy can play with McD and rack up points from the blue line which the Oilers didn’t really have before. Let Nurse carry the defensive load of the pairing

seeing how some really bad defenseman signed for over 3m all over his salary is very good on a short term

Such as say....Ceci?

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018

Nah, Ceci is actually worse, if you watched recent seasons.

It's amazing that Barrie is actually not the worst defensive D-man on the Oilers.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Who said he should win the Norris? You'd think if there was to be any talk of that it would be last year when he led the league in D scoring. But I was on the Oilers board a lot and no one even thought he was the best D on his pairing.

You're also understating his value if you think just any D is going to lead the league in D scoring simply by making easy passes to McJesus. It's not like the Oilers haven't placed many other players in that position and watched them fail to do jack shit. Barrie is simply good at the job the Oilers have given him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Barrie didn’t get 1 Norris vote and I don’t recall any Oiler fans complaining about that. We all know he’s more of a 4th forward then a Dman which works great for when our top 6 is on the ice. He’s a good asset if deployed properly which Tippett does.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
And thats the rub.. when 5v5 play becomes even more important because teams in the playoffs play better defense and there are fewer penalties called. Last year Edmonton lived off its PP but 5v5 thy were the 4th worst team in the league when it came to high danger scoring chances for. That combined with being a general tire fire in HDA was not a good combination for playoff hockey.
Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see how Holland has improved the team this offseason with perhaps the exception of acquiring Hyman. Also, your goaltending is still suspect and the pool of available good goalies is drying up fast.
Hopefully for Oiler fans Holland still has something up his sleeve.

We likely aren't getting external goalie help, thanks to Sakic having a panic attack. I really don't get the idea that Barrie is a bad fit, Holland has made some questionable and risky moves this year, this isn't one of them.

If we lose Barrie we have to replace his offense somewhere. So is that, trade for Risto? Can't beat fletchers conniption. Sign Yandle? Hes even worse defensively.

There's just not that many out there, unless we give Hamilton 9.5, which ruins any chance we have of getting nurse around 8. Rest of these D are paid out the nose, werenski just signed a stupid contract.

The team is certainly better upfront, not sure how it can be argued otherwise. People saying this deal is bad have an agenda because he sucked for their team or are just lost.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Barrie's true market value is $6M. He took a discount to play with the two best players in the world.
Doubtful, he wanted to test the market. He found out he wasn’t going to get what he wanted so he took the safe contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad