Proposal: EDM-MTL

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Mete is a no starter esp considering Pulji hasnt shown anything good in the NHL yet. We dont need Pulji as well. We have too many top 9 wingers. IF we were to trade for Pulji it would be for a winger swap.

Oilers don't need to make a trade either. We have Rattie returning and we are winning (and dominating all recent games except the Wild one). If anything... a trade will be made around TDL when the Habs are bottom-feeders and looking to dump UFAs.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
How about this -

To Edmonton: Jonathan Drouin, Nikita Scherbak, Victor Mete

To Montreal: Darnell Nurse, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2019 3rd rounder.

Why they make this trade - Oilers add to their depth up front with some serious speed and skill in Drouin, which gives them more options to balance their forward lineup. Signed to a long term deal at a reasonable cap hit, Drouin could be a very good pickup as he has elite talent. Getting him out of Montreal would likely really help his game as well (just my opinion). I’m not a fan of his but I think he’d thrive alongside either McDavid or Draisatl. Mete replaces the loss of Nurse on defense and helps with the transition game and overall speed of the Oilers. Kid is a very smart hockey player. Scherbak has a ton of talent but a questionable work ethic/attitude. Maybe he turns it around in Edmonton?

Habs need help at left defense and Nurse would add some much needed toughness and skill on the point from the left side. Nurse would complement Petry very well, to give the Habs a very solid and nice mix on the blueline. Puljujarvi is a terrific young talent that’s having some difficulty in Edmonton with his development. Perhaps he’s able to get back on track in Montreal where there is a large Finnish contingent. Puljujarvi and Kotkaniemi has the potential to be a dynamic duo in the future.

Value and needs close?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Nah, Puljujarvi is 20 years old, won't even turn 21 until the season is over. This kid has so much damn potential, he looks like a late bloomer.
Oilers will absolutely regret trading him, his speed and creative abilities is only going to get better with experience. He has a very good attitude, he's got a big frame, and he has shown glimpses of McDavid-like speed. He's the future wing-man to McDavid or Draisaitl, and will be essential to the success of the team in the big picture

No deal

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How about this -

Why they make this trade - Oilers add to their depth up front with some serious speed and skill in Drouin, which gives them more options to balance their forward lineup. Signed to a long term deal at a reasonable cap hit, Drouin could be a very good pickup as he has elite talent. Getting him out of Montreal would likely really help his game as well (just my opinion). I’m not a fan of his but I think he’d thrive alongside either McDavid or Draisatl. Mete replaces the loss of Nurse on defense and helps with the transition game and overall speed of the Oilers. Kid is a very smart hockey player. Scherbak has a ton of talent but a questionable work ethic/attitude. Maybe he turns it around in Edmonton?

Habs need help at left defense and Nurse would add some much needed toughness and skill on the point from the left side. Nurse would complement Petry very well, to give the Habs a very solid and nice mix on the blueline. Puljujarvi is a terrific young talent that’s having some difficulty in Edmonton with his development. Perhaps he’s able to get back on track in Montreal where there is a large Finnish contingent. Puljujarvi and Kotkaniemi has the potential to be a dynamic duo in the future.

Value and needs close?

There is no scenario where Edmonton downgrades from Nurse to Mete and dusts it’s hands off and says ‘needs met’. Nurse for Drouin straight across is an easy no, never mind the rest of it.

We’re 8-4-1, we look good. We’re not blowing up our defence to add a soft winger, a 15 minute a night defenceman and an AHL winger. Neither the value or the needs work for us.

You’re offering valuable pieces but ANY attempt to get any of McDavid/Drai/Nuge/Klefbom/Larsson/Nurse/Bouchard is highly likely to fall on deaf ears. Those guys are the core of this team and not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Be a Hab

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
There is no scenario where Edmonton downgrades from Nurse to Mete and dusts it’s hands off and says ‘needs met’. Nurse for Drouin straight across is an easy no, never mind the rest of it.

We’re 8-4-1, we look good. We’re not blowing up our defence to add a soft winger, a 15 minute a night defenceman and an AHL winger. Neither the value or the needs work for us.

You’re offering valuable pieces but ANY attempt to get any of McDavid/Drai/Nuge/Klefbom/Larsson/Nurse/Bouchard is highly likely to fall on deaf ears. Those guys are the core of this team and not going anywhere.

Okay fair enough, just wondered if value/needs were close.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Bear > Fleury
Puljujarvi >> Scherbak and a waiver wire defenceman

No interest. Habs are a bad fit because they want to keep all their prospects and players worth a damn and only give up their broken toys like Scherbak. It’s understandable for a rebuilding team but it’s also not going to convince Edmonton to sell Puljujarvi on the cheap.

We’re much better of sending him the AHL til Christmas and re evaluating. He’s only 20, there’s absolutely no rush.
It's looking like Fleury is way ahead of Bear in Development, Physicality, PMD. You could quote me when they earn a NHL spot

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Depending on what the plus was I probably wouldn’t be too against it. Much prefer Mete over Weber at this point
Mete + Lehkonen? They're soon to be a top-4 defenseman and a top-6 winger with excellent defensive coverage (his 2-way game is excellent).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's looking like Fleury is way ahead of Bear in Development, Physicality, PMD. You could quote me when they earn a NHL spot
Bear played 18 games last year and was actually quite good. He came very close to earning a spot out of camp this year. Had they not wanted to give Bouchard some games he probably makes the team. The only way a defensemen could be way ahead of where Bear is right now is if he is playing at least top four minutes and succeeding.

Bear was the WHL defenseman of the year in his last year of juniors and had a great start in the AHL until a series of injuries slowed him down. He's also essentially only one year older than Fleury so I don't think there is much evidence to support your position.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
How about this -

Value and needs close?

Value is close, needs is good for Montreal but poor for Edmonton I think. Losing Drouin would hurt a lot for Montreal but adding nurse would make the team better imo just by adding stability at the backend. Mete is great at exits and entries but Edmonton loses a true top pairing guy and I foresee that being a problem for them. I think they would be better plugging their winger holes then trying to force something.

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Lol. Yes. A nickname by the fans is the main reason he’s busting. Has nothing to do with the organization who has a history of ruining high picks

You mean Yakupov and MPS? Because all of Eberle, Hall, RNH, Klefbom, Draisaitl, and Nurse are/were doing just fine (and well, a couple of them exceptionally well). I'm not saying that the oilers are a drafting and developing powerhouse, but this flimsy narrative needs to die.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad