Pittsburgh (EDM 1, MTL 2) Cup Favourite

Nashville (EDM 2) 1st in League
Winnipeg (EDM 1) Cup Favourite

Toronto (MTL 1) 5th in League
St Louis (MTL 1) Cup Favourite
Washington (MTL 1) Defending Cup
Calgary (MTL 1) 3rd in League
Tampa Bay (MTL 1) 2nd in League

While we can argue semantics on the rest of the schedule, and we can definitely give credit that Edmonton has had to play Nashville twice; the Habs have played MORE games against Cup-favourite teams... 6 for Edmonton compared to 8 from Montreal.

For OP: Mete at THIS point is a superior player to Puljujarvi, both in value and in usefulness; the Habs sure as **** aren't going to trade a Top 4 defenseman for a winger who's been sitting in the press box for the better part of the season

While I am in no way writing the kid off, he has 29 career points in 102 career games (0.28ppg) --- other people from that same draft include PLD (0.58PPG), Keller (0.78PPG) and Tkachuk (0.72PPG)

He is closer to Tage Thompson (0.20PPG) and Jost (.30PPG) than he is the guys who he was drafted above within the top 10. He has continually been sent to the AHL or Scratched, and is very much so looking like a bust.

Tage Thompson is not a bust, he's always been seen as a long term prospect (and not a sure bet one either).

Let the kids develop and at 25 call them busts. Lots of players are late bloomers

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Tage Thompson is not a bust, he's always been seen as a long term prospect (and not a sure bet one either).

Let the kids develop and at 25 call them busts. Lots of players are late bloomers

No, I have always liked Tage especially because of his size and physical presence... but my point was that from a former 4th overall pick who's had the chance to play alongside some very special players, you would expect him to be better than guys playing bottom 6 exclusively like Jost or guys drafted in the 20s like Tage and Nikita.

People still talk about Puljujarvi's value as if he turned out to be as good as his draft position; when in reality I don't know if he goes top 10 in his class in a redraft today.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yeah keep all players, your team is trash they won't win the cup they will need another rebuild, Mcdavid will leave at the end of his contract like everyones. I prefer keeping Mete then having your Bust players
If the Oilers are trash then the Habs must be St. Lawrence sewage water
Edmonton 13GP 8W 3L 1OTL 17Pts
Montreal 13GP 7W 4L 2OTL 16Pts

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Mike Bossy, Michel Bergeron, Yanick Plante... want more ????
I nerver heard them saying that , i think you are invented this *saying*.
No one see Mete going in the AHL,
and yes Mete would make the line up in Edmonton easily.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
To be honest, the original argument wasn't even whether or not Mete > Nurse in terms of value and play; I just made an off-hand comment that Mete would crack your lineup already and if he continues this growth he will likely trump Nurse; he has been better at every level and the way the kid sees the game with the puck on his stick is incredible. Personally, I would rather have Mete than Nurse (play, age and contract status) but that COULD be homer bias.

The point was, ChaoticOrange is going on about how Mete would be a press-box player and Scherbak is a broken toy but Puljujarvi is a 20 year old stud in the making; just really ****ty logic from someone who knows nothing past googling their names and looking at their stats.

Mete alone is worth more than Puljujarvi as of today. Draft position is irrelevant, Mete has been successfully playing, and getting better whereas Puljujarvi has struggled immensely, plays a less favourable position and is the same age. Mete is more valuable in every sense of the word.

I tend to value d-men more than forwards, so I'd have to agree that Mete carries more value than Puljujarvi. At least as of today he does.

I don't think Mete would be watching too many games from the press box. I have less faith in our D than some however. Once you get past Klefbom (a #3 defenseman playing a #1 role) and Larsson (a #2-3 playing a fulltime #2 role) and Nurse (a #3-4 playing about where he should) I don't think we have a lot. Russell, Benning, etc are not playing ahead of Mete in my humble opinion.

Mete might one day become a better defenseman than Nurse. That isn't a guarantee and right now that is not the case. Nurse is still very young and learning the game. He has room to grow. He is ahead of Mete in development by virtue of being older and having real hard NHL minutes under his belt. Also he is signed to a nice team friendly bridge contract.

I'd take Nurse over Mete right now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Habs fan : I want Puljujarvi here’s what I’m offering

Oilers fans: Puljujarvi isn’t available, and if he was, we could do way better than that

*six pages of bitching, whining, namecalling and Puljujarvi bashing, missing the point that he’s STILL not available*

Don’t like the answer, don’t come calling with stuff we don’t need or want. Don’t want Hudon, don’t want Scherbak, don’t want Byron, Lekhonen, Armia, or Shaw. Mete? Sure, has some value. The last thing we need is another LHD. He’d be in the same spot as Caleb Jones - probably too good for the AHL, but Matt Benning damned sure can’t shelter anyone. Garrison has been fine. Yes, Mete would be an upgrade on Garrison... but you don’t trade Puljujarvi to boost your bottom pairing and Mete isn’t playing over Klefbom or Nurse anytime soon.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Habs fan : I want Puljujarvi here’s what I’m offering

Oilers fans: Puljujarvi isn’t available, and if he was, we could do way better than that

*six pages of *****ing, whining, namecalling and Puljujarvi bashing, missing the point that he’s STILL not available*

Don’t like the answer, don’t come calling with stuff we don’t need or want. Don’t want Hudon, don’t want Scherbak, don’t want Byron, Lekhonen, Armia, or Shaw. Mete? Sure, has some value. The last thing we need is another LHD. He’d be in the same spot as Caleb Jones - probably too good for the AHL, but Matt Benning damned sure can’t shelter anyone. Garrison has been fine. Yes, Mete would be an upgrade on Garrison... but you don’t trade Puljujarvi to boost your bottom pairing and Mete isn’t playing over Klefbom or Nurse anytime soon.
Don't you get it. We don't want Puljujarvi. Now if your giving him away we might take a chance on him but we sure as hell are not giving up any value for a guy that has bust written all over him. You keep him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Don't you get it. We don't want Puljujarvi. Now if your giving him away we might take a chance on him but we sure as hell are not giving up any value for a guy that has bust written all over him. You keep him.

OP was made by a Hab fan. We’re not the ones approaching you. You want Puljujarvi, pay up. If you’re just looking for day old donuts in the dumpster, sail on.

5th round pick for Scherbak, he’s an AHL fondler :laugh:. If you’re giving him away we’ll take him but we’re not giving up any value for a near 23 year old that has bust all over him.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
OP was made by a Hab fan. We’re not the ones approaching you. You want Puljujarvi, pay up. If you’re just looking for day old donuts in the dumpster, sail on.

5th round pick for Scherbak, he’s an AHL fondler :laugh:. If you’re giving him away we’ll take him but we’re not giving up any value for a near 23 year old that has bust all over him.
Puljujarvi is looking like a day old donut in a dumpster.
You still don't get it .We don't want and won't give up anything of value for a player that's looking more and more like a bust. You keep him the same way you did with Yak. Maybe in a yr or 2 you might salvage a 3 or 4th rd pick for him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Puljujarvi is looking like a day old donut in a dumpster.
You still don't get it .We don't want and won't give up anything of value for a player that's looking more and more like a bust. You keep him the same way you did with Yak. Maybe in a yr or 2 you might salvage a 3 or 4th rd pick for him.

What part of ‘this thread was started by a Hab fan’ is difficult for you? We aren’t calling you - or anyone else - offering him up. You’re calling us and getting told we aren’t moving him for anything you’d be prepared to offer - which appears to be jack and squat.

I expect this to be the last Puljuarvi to MTL thread, because we’re not dumping him off a cliff just because you think we should.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I'd take Nurse over Mete right now.

It ends up being irrelevant; that isn't what the point was to begin with --- the point was ChaoticOrange saying that Puljujarvi > Mete

You're not getting Mete, let alone better; and whether or not Puljujarvi is available is pure speculation; he probably should be given his inability to make it work in the Oilers system to date, but that doesn't mean he is.

Yes, Mete would be an upgrade on Garrison... but you don’t trade Puljujarvi to boost your bottom pairing and Mete isn’t playing over Klefbom or Nurse anytime soon.

If you played Shea Weber on your bottom pair, that doesn't make him a bottom pair guy ... Mete could play your third pair, and still play 17/18 minutes a night; that doesn't take anything away from his ability. Mete could very easily be better than both of them one day, and at this current time he should be highly valued because of his current ability, but also his age and how he has progressed to date.

Don’t want Hudon, don’t want Scherbak, don’t want Byron, Lekhonen, Armia, or Shaw.

And that's fine --- but to call Scherbak a "broken toy" or a "bust" or an "AHL tweener" but act like Puljujarvi somehow is none of those things is hysterical.

The issue with you specifically, and a small minority of posters here, is that you think because you believe something to be true, it is. You fail to look at any stats, or to have any substance to your argument other than "we don't want them because they suck"

At the end of the day, if I was Edmonton I wouldn't trade Puljujarvi for Scherbak 1 for 1, it makes absolutely no sense to do that and I completely agree --- but if Montreal said we will give you two seconds and Scherbak for Puljujarvi, you take that deal every day of the week because as of right now, Puljujarvi is looking to be as useful long term as Scherbak, and both have about an equal shot of making it to regular NHL status.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It ends up being irrelevant; that isn't what the point was to begin with --- the point was ChaoticOrange saying that Puljujarvi > Mete

You're not getting Mete, let alone better; and whether or not Puljujarvi is available is pure speculation; he probably should be given his inability to make it work in the Oilers system to date, but that doesn't mean he is.

If you played Shea Weber on your bottom pair, that doesn't make him a bottom pair guy ... Mete could play your third pair, and still play 17/18 minutes a night; that doesn't take anything away from his ability. Mete could very easily be better than both of them one day, and at this current time he should be highly valued because of his current ability, but also his age and how he has progressed to date.

And that's fine --- but to call Scherbak a "broken toy" or a "bust" or an "AHL tweener" but act like Puljujarvi somehow is none of those things is hysterical.

The issue with you specifically, and a small minority of posters here, is that you think because you believe something to be true, it is. You fail to look at any stats, or to have any substance to your argument other than "we don't want them because they suck"

At the end of the day, if I was Edmonton I wouldn't trade Puljujarvi for Scherbak 1 for 1, it makes absolutely no sense to do that and I completely agree --- but if Montreal said we will give you two seconds and Scherbak for Puljujarvi, you take that deal every day of the week because as of right now, Puljujarvi is looking to be as useful long term as Scherbak, and both have about an equal shot of making it to regular NHL status.

We don’t WANT Mete. Or Scherbak. Or any of the other stuff being offered. They meet no needs whatsoever.

You use whatever minor stat props up your argument and utterly disregard anything else, and completely disregard that the kid is 20.

Scherbak needs waivers and he is not an NHL player today. I’d argue he’d have negative value to us because all that would happen is we’d immediately lose him when he wasn’t good enough to play here, and then we’d have - what, two seconds? Not good enough. A couple 17 year old kids that might maybe be something worthwhile in four seasons? If you’re banking on the ‘but potential’ upside, bank elsewhere. The Oilers aren’t moving Puljujarvi for that, the Avs aren’t moving Jost for that, and none of the ‘half of the first round’ or so remaining that haven’t even played ten games aren’t going for that.

Scherbak, Scherbak +, or Scherbak ++ doesn’t matter. The answer is a hard, fast, easy no. Tonight’s game is a perfect example of why. Puljujarvi hasn’t scored, but he has a well developed 200 foot game that will keep him in this league for a long time, and that’s at two years younger. He already does the little things Scherbak can’t grasp and has just as much skill and talent. All Puljujarvi needs is time and confidence, and what we should do is send him to play with the young talent we’ve amassed in Bakersfield.

Everyone on this board fantasizes about giving up a much lesser asset and spare parts for a greater asset, but misses there’s usually a litany of reasons trades like that get made:

- player asks for a trade (no)
- cap savings (nope)
- positional need (nope)
- greater upside (nope)
- bad attitude (nope)
- better player today (ie improve current team (nope)
- lacking work ethic (absolutely not)
- hitting waiver eligibility (YOUR guy sure is)

There’s literally not a single solitary reason to make a trade like Scherbak and a couple 2nds for JP. It’s three $2 scratch tickets for one $10 scratch.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
We don’t WANT Mete. Or Scherbak. Or any of the other stuff being offered. They meet no needs whatsoever.

You use whatever minor stat props up your argument and utterly disregard anything else, and completely disregard that the kid is 20.

Scherbak needs waivers and he is not an NHL player today. I’d argue he’d have negative value to us because all that would happen is we’d immediately lose him when he wasn’t good enough to play here, and then we’d have - what, two seconds? Not good enough. A couple 17 year old kids that might maybe be something worthwhile in four seasons? If you’re banking on the ‘but potential’ upside, bank elsewhere. The Oilers aren’t moving Puljujarvi for that, the Avs aren’t moving Jost for that, and none of the ‘half of the first round’ or so remaining that haven’t even played ten games aren’t going for that.

Scherbak, Scherbak +, or Scherbak ++ doesn’t matter. The answer is a hard, fast, easy no. Tonight’s game is a perfect example of why. Puljujarvi hasn’t scored, but he has a well developed 200 foot game that will keep him in this league for a long time, and that’s at two years younger. He already does the little things Scherbak can’t grasp and has just as much skill and talent. All Puljujarvi needs is time and confidence, and what we should do is send him to play with the young talent we’ve amassed in Bakersfield.

Everyone on this board fantasizes about giving up a much lesser asset and spare parts for a greater asset, but misses there’s usually a litany of reasons trades like that get made:

- cap savings (nope)
- positional need (nope)
- greater upside (nope)
- bad attitude (nope)

There’s literally not a single solitary reason to make a trade like Scherbak and a couple 2nds for JP. It’s three $2 scratch tickets for one $10 scratch.

Get over it now. We’re not interested in Puljujarvi unless we pay a ridiculously low price for him because most feels (including me) that he’s going to bust. How many times do we have to tell you this?

He’s not available for cheap? Cool, move on. We don’t give a f***

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Get over it now. We’re not interested in Puljujarvi unless we pay a ridiculously low price for him because most feels (including me) that he’s going to bust. How many times do we have to tell you this?

He’s not available for cheap? Cool, move on. We don’t give a ****

Don’t make any more threads trying to scoop him cheap then, boys. How you’re feeling about him doesn’t matter at all.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

- cap savings (nope)
- positional need (nope)
- greater upside (nope)
- bad attitude (nope)

Repeat and rinse .I heard the same thing about Yak.
And again NO Your are not getting Mete for Puljujarvi. It's take a D a lot longer to adjust to the game and he's already adjusted to the game twice as much as Puljujarvi. You keep your Bust and we'll keep our Up and coming D.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Repeat and rinse .I heard the same thing about Yak.
And again NO Your are not getting Mete for Puljujarvi. It's take a D a lot longer to adjust to the game and he's already adjusted to the game twice as much as Puljujarvi. You keep your Bust and we'll keep our Up and coming D.

We also heard that Galchenyuk wouldn’t be moved for anything less than a legit young #1 centre and that he had 40 goal potential if you want to go down that route.

No one is trying to pry the precious out of your grubby little fist. Mete is not what we need. We aren’t asking for him. We aren’t calling about him. Not a single Oiler fan has said ‘boy we could sure use that heavily sheltered LHD, that would sure improve our team!’ We aren’t offering Puljujarvi or anyone else for him. I don’t know why you’re having so much trouble with that concept. Don’t want, don’t need. Simple.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
We also heard that Galchenyuk wouldn’t be moved for anything less than a legit young #1 centre and that he had 40 goal potential if you want to go down that route.

No one is trying to pry the precious out of your grubby little fist. Mete is not what we need. We aren’t asking for him. We aren’t calling about him. Not a single Oiler fan has said ‘boy we could sure use that heavily sheltered LHD, that would sure improve our team!’ We aren’t offering Puljujarvi or anyone else for him. I don’t know why you’re having so much trouble with that concept. Don’t want, don’t need. Simple.

Well Domi so far is playing at a PPG rate and on pace for more than 40 this year. So technically we did trade him for a C who’s on pace for 40

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Ok here is my last proposal for Jesse Puljujarvi. First, we can get along that Puljujarvi got big potential but right now he seems to become a *Bust. He didn't get draft 4th overall for nothing yes he got talent. For me he is not at the right place in Edmonton, (like Domi in Arizona for exemple) he needs a big hockey market to perform I think (Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Boston...) So here is my trade proposal (from a HABS fan) for Jesse Puljujarvi a 4th overall selection.

To Edonton :
Nikita Sherback ( 2014 first round pick ) don't have the good attitude to play in Montreal ( and he shows signs of bust )
(Vegas) 2nd round pick in 2019
Alexander Romanov ( 2nd round pick 2018-38 overall ) LHD
Matthew Peca ( good AHL center ) can remplace on your 4th line when there is injury. ( 25yrs old )
To Montreal :
Jesse Puljujarvi

Why Edmonton would do this trade :
they got a 2nd round pick and a very good defence prospect, they got a AHL center... and a old 1rst round pick that can unlocked in Edmonton and become pretty good.
Why Montreal would do this trade :
They got a good player to play and developp chemistry with Kotkaniemi and to add strenght and talent in the team

I think the value is good for both side and it would be a good trade for both teams ( yes also for Edmonton )

*BONUS we can add for free Karl Alzner an Elite LHD to the trade;)(joke)

I think Edmonton would just hang on to Puljujarvi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad