Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Bobby Nicks to Chia this morning.."Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber..."
fHAmR2l.gif

"you totally redeem yourself!!
I don’t mind the trade but frig this made me laugh.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It’s also referencing his xGF relative to his teammates, which is the lowest.

And that's because of an extremely xGF/60.

The Panthers actually create the most shots with him and Yandle on the ice.

You can't really blame a defensive defenseman for his teammates taking low danger shots.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
My biggest fear about this trade? He plays well in a bottom pairing role and dupes Chiarelli into a 4x4 deal when other teams would only give him a PTO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yikes, I haven’t seen one positive review of Petrovic’s play from a Florida fan. Usually when a player is so widely hated, it’s from an out-spoken minority and there are at least a few defenders of the player. This doesn’t bode well, and a 3rd rounder is a decent asset.

The dynamic is simply that Petrovic was protected instead of Smith and Marchessault. But that's because the Panthers knew that Petrovic would for sure be picked if left unprotected in the expansion draft. Of course it was a mistake to protect Petrovic instead of Smith or Marchessault but in defense the NHL has also shifted more to a speed skill game since the expansion draft. Panthers fans essentially hate Petrovic because of the Smith and Marchessault decisions which are not his fault. Its of course scapegoating which goes on everywhere. Sometimes players need a new environment. The player is capable of being a second pairing D in right situation and use.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Hopefully it doesn't turn into another wasted draft pick lost... like the Al Montoya move last year :shakehead

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Wideman is the better dman.

So giving up a 3rd for a lesser dman is a loss.

Not a huge loss because neither dman is great but still a loss on this trade.

Not sure why they felt they didn't need to give Zykov more of a look... or Wideman who actually has some offensive ability (as much or more than pretty much every current Oilers dman... low bar I know).

This is at best no better than shuffling the deck chairs though.

Your pink slip is waiting on January 8th Mr Chiarelli... please pick it up and enjoy your extended stay in Sunny California.
Wideman is absolutely not a better dman. What on earth.

Reactions: Former Referee 68

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Every one of these bottom filler players Chia acquires is useless. Wideman, Spooner, Zykov just this season. Don’t have much confidence in Petrovic. On the other hand it’s hard to think he could be worse then Benning and Garrison. Who knows? I’m just hoping he’s not about to make that deal to save his job that sets us back even further.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
My biggest fear about this trade? He plays well in a bottom pairing role and dupes Chiarelli into a 4x4 deal when other teams would only give him a PTO.

Big picture fear.:D

My greatest fear is that this is the tip of the iceberg and there are some crazy larger deals on the horizon, which will set us back further. And Chia knows that if these don't work out, he won't be around anyhow, so there is no limit to the craziness he might try.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The dynamic is simply that Petrovic was protected instead of Smith and Marchessault. But that's because the Panthers knew that Petrovic would for sure be picked if left unprotected in the expansion draft. Of course it was a mistake to protect Petrovic instead of Smith or Marchessault but in defense the NHL has also shifted more to a speed skill game since the expansion draft. Panthers fans essentially hate Petrovic because of the Smith and Marchessault decisions which are not his fault. Its of course scapegoating which goes on everywhere. Sometimes players need a new environment. The player is capable of being a second pairing D in right situation and use.

No, they don't like him because he sucked.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The days of "Kings Hockey" are done. Chia didn't get the memo unfortunately.

I've watched Petrovic enough to formulate that opinion. This is giving me Reinhart flashbacks but at least he didn't blow two high picks to get him.
Of course he made the NHL and Reinhart didn't but similar style players, I never liked this type of player.
I'll watch him with an open mind but I don't think it'll be a happy ending.

Days of hockey archetype are never gone. More the case that its waves. Rotating phases. The Oilers are famous for chasing waves that have already occurred. Sometimes a team should just focus on schemes that suit the exact players you have like Ronnie Low did. That was a time too when bang it off the boards was considered boring and primitive and some fans here wanted figure skater fancy D instead but the schemes worked fine with the personnel we had.

McD, Drai, Nuge are all GREAT at transition. All of them assist D in working puck forward. Its our scheme and we have 3 Centers that excel at it. So use that. We're not getting an OEL PMD type here. But we do have Jones and Bear developing for when we need something different.

Petrovic, at worst, is a good stopgap solution to stop the bleeding.

Heh, that said imagine if the Dallas tirefire persists and we could get somebody like Klingberg in trade!

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yikes, I haven’t seen one positive review of Petrovic’s play from a Florida fan. Usually when a player is so widely hated, it’s from an out-spoken minority and there are at least a few defenders of the player. This doesn’t bode well, and a 3rd rounder is a decent asset.
If you were to ask those same fans over a year ago, what would their evaluation be though?
I'll reserve judgment until I see him play.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
as an aside, if the Oilers keep falling out of the playoff race they should fire Chiarelli before the trade deadline or he will make a bad, short sighted trader I have no doubt. They should fire him now. They should have fired him long ago come to think of it.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In what world do you give up such a high draft pick for a seventh defenseman?

In what world is a 7th D protected in an expansion draft just a couple years ago? Petrovic was even recently part of the Panthers core. Its ridiculous to say otherwise. The guy is 26, isn't done, and still lots of miles left and has had more use in top 4 pairing in his NHL career. At worst here he's a 5/6 assuming we move out a higher priced D which is inevitable.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'll wait until I see Petrovic, like any trade. I dont watch other teams players much especially depth guys.

I do like the fact that we are not dwelling on trades that havent worked out. The team obviously didnt like guys like Jerabek and Wideman so they have moved on from them.

At the same time, I dont really understand the team at the moment. We picked up guys like Zykov and Wideman and while they havent been overly great, did they really get much of a fair shot? The coach barely plays the guys. Just dont like what they see in practice? I dont know, I am honestly just a bit confused.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Don’t mind this too much. I would have preferred Pysyk, but Petro is at least a proven 3rd pairing option, who can step up and take a few more minutes.

He also eats some of Larsson’s defensive minutes, not a bad thing. Ideally I’d let Adam takes Benning’s offensive minutes, and you let Petro take as much defensive starts as he can.

So you get Russell and Petro into the lineup next game. That’ll be much welcomed.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Petrovic
Gravel-Jones

When healthy...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Petrovic
Russell-Sekera

That actually looks okay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad