Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I like it. We get rid of Wideman and get a punishing D who can hit and bring some physicality. Good addition and Chia showing some response (but way late) to the D injury predicament. A vet that can help steady the ship and good enough to be around even when we get healthy.

Good Edmonton boy, reasonable contract but only for this year so this is a rental unless we can resign. If we do resign it can open up a move of one of our higher priced D which would provide some cap space relief.

Don't know the draft pick we're giving up yet, but so far I like it.

edit its only a third round pick. Great pick up. Its hilarious that Petrovic was one of the players Florida protected in the expansion draft while losing Marchessault and Smith. One of those rare moments when we're fleecing some other team.

That said Wideman had no interest in being here and exhibited it on the ice. He was basically a flagman here waving opponents in on goal and saying have a good day..Wideman strikes me as somebody who might play better in Florida. It wasn't going to be here.
Everybody was bad in yesterday’s game but even still Wideman really stuck out. Wasn’t too hard to see why he hasn’t been playing. It’s too bad we had to give up a pick in this trade but we’re winners just for getting rid of that player.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Everybody was bad in yesterday’s game but even still Wideman really stuck out. Wasn’t too hard to see why he hasn’t been playing. It’s too bad we had to give up a pick in this trade but we’re winners just for getting rid of that player.
No we aren't. You can put him on waivers and f***ing sitting him in the AHL, you don't give up a 3rd to get rid of a literal nothing player.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The trouble with citation like this is the statline doesn't match the conclusion and doesn't take into account dynamic. Those are simply stats from this season and it doesn't automatically follow that one can conclude based on that. Its funny that when you confront advanced stats users on making summary conclusion they'll respond "oh of course you should take all things into account and this is only one barometer" but the thing noticed is how often players are summarily dismissed on the basis of one or more advanced stats.

When Steven on this board weighs in that he hates a player I'm almost inclined to take an opposite view..;)

Florida Panthers are as bad a tirefire org as this one and Petrovic probably tired of the garbage there. Not that he'll get reprieve as this org sucks balls but its a different environment and one he's familiar with and we have some great core pieces to build around here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Garbage. Petrovic probably isn't even an upgrade on Wideman and they give up a high 3rd. Petrovic sucks but he's an Edmonton boy and has character so it's all good.

Between this and the stupid Detroit Lions winning a game they should be tanking, I'm having a **** day.
You’re a Lions fan too. Good God, you’ve got a lot of misery in your life.;)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holy shit the condition is the highest of our 3rds too. Jesus Christ Chia can't be fired fast enough

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Don't we have bunch of guys already that fit that description? The NHL today is a thinking mans game. Yes, there is still physicality, but you need to move the puck, make smart plays, and contribute to the offense in 5 man units. Guys that can't keep up or make smart plays usually wind up on the lousy teams.

BTW, I agree with what you said.

Chia and Hitchcock still have this 90s mentality where big, physical Dmen were the trend when the game was much more physical and obstruction much more prominent. These types of players are becoming more and more obselete as speed, skill and Hockey IQ becomes more emphasized. There's still room for a player like this on your blueline, but not 3-4 of them. This is the last type of player the Oilers need, they just don't get it.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
I’m gonna wait and see if this trade will help keep the puck out of our net thus helping tread water until we get back Russell/Sekera/Klefbom before I shit all over it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We gave up a 3rd to get rid of him. How do you figure that makes us winners?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He can hit opponents but he provides zero offense, can't move the puck and has rocks for brains.
I would have been fine with Wideman straight up for him. Giving up a 3rd for a player who gets caved in regularly is mind boggling. It undoes the good of the Davidson trade, the one minor victory Chia had in the last few seasons. Somehow the moves that were hailed as his good moves go to **** (Talbot and Maroon, Sekera even though it's not his fault and the Davidson trade).

A little severe. As others have stated lets see how it plays out. I guarantee he will look better here than you think he will..;)

Things are rarely as good, or as bad, as they look in present.

We are mired in a 5 game losing streak and thus the sky falling in and everything bleak and dark. If the Oilers had made a deal for Petrovic offseason I tend to think you would have liked it.

Petrovic addresses a problem now. In a crucial need. Anything that keeps Benning off the ice and deters the use of Garrison is a godsend.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No we aren't. You can put him on waivers and ****ing sitting him in the AHL, you don't give up a 3rd to get rid of a literal nothing player.
Putting him in the minors doesn’t address the issue that we still need another body to play in games. We’ve got two defensemen out right now and we’ve lost five in a row. Wideman wasn’t the guy, it was time to try someone else. I don’t like having to give up the pick either but the season is slipping away. At least it’s only a third round pick. How many of those have we developed in the last twenty years? We have enough trouble with our first rounders. Have a little perspective here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

And Florida are winners for ridding of their similar level more expensive player and getting a 3rd to boot. If they are going to target a player with local ties, why not go for Psysk? He can at least move the puck a bit and is a lot more mobile.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A little severe. As others have stated lets see how it plays out. I guarantee he will look better here than you think he will..;)

Things are rarely as good, or as bad, as they look in present.

We are mired in a 5 game losing streak and thus the sky falling in and everything bleak and dark. If the Oilers had made a deal for Petrovic offseason I tend to think you would have liked it.

Petrovic addresses a problem now. In a crucial need. Anything that keeps Benning off the ice and deters the use of Garrison is a godsend.

I despise Dmen who can't skate or move the puck. The Oilers need less of these types, not more.
Of course I hope it works out, I just don't see this moving the needle at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad