Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Btw is the 6th the EDM one or the St.Louis one from the Jerabek trade?

Either way it’s ~100th pick for an established NHL’er. I’m don’t see why people would freak out over this. It’s the definition of an inconsequential move.
Exactly. Sure there is a 20% chance we lose out on drafting another JJ into the lineup. There is a greater chance that we just acquired a possible top 5 or even a reliable 6th dman.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Because it doesn't make the team better?
s-21807-wrong.jpg

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Exactly. Sure there is a 20% chance we lose out on drafting another JJ into the lineup. There is a greater chance that we just acquired a possible top 5 or even a reliable 6th dman.

With our draft record is about a 3% chance of drafting another JJ...

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013

This whole "3rd rounders almost never turn out anyways" logic is really stupid also. That Caleb Jones kid has been looking pretty decent lately. What round was he taken in again?

Petrovic isn't going to be here next year. I'd rather gamble with the 3rd.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The dynamic is simply that Petrovic was protected instead of Smith and Marchessault. But that's because the Panthers knew that Petrovic would for sure be picked if left unprotected in the expansion draft. Of course it was a mistake to protect Petrovic instead of Smith or Marchessault but in defense the NHL has also shifted more to a speed skill game since the expansion draft. Panthers fans essentially hate Petrovic because of the Smith and Marchessault decisions which are not his fault. Its of course scapegoating which goes on everywhere. Sometimes players need a new environment. The player is capable of being a second pairing D in right situation and use.

Panther fans do not hate him because of the expansion draft. We dislike him because he is has been awful this season. Truly terrible. If you read our gdts you would see this. Some of us were baffled he was playing instead of kis. Maybe he needs a change of scenery to get him going again. Just a warning, if things dont go well expect his brother to rant on Twitter about It!

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
An interesting question for you guys: would you rather have Davidson or Petrovic?

Remember that last year we traded away Davidson for a 3rd round pick..

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
In what world is a 7th D protected in an expansion draft just a couple years ago? Petrovic was even recently part of the Panthers core. Its ridiculous to say otherwise. The guy is 26, isn't done, and still lots of miles left and has had more use in top 4 pairing in his NHL career. At worst here he's a 5/6 assuming we move out a higher priced D which is inevitable.
calling him a 7th dman this season is hilarious. I wish he had been that good haha

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Panther fans do not hate him because of the expansion draft. We dislike him because he is has been awful this season. Truly terrible. If you read our gdts you would see this. Some of us were baffled he was playing instead of kis. Maybe he needs a change of scenery to get him going again. Just a warning, if things dont go well expect his brother to rant on Twitter about It!

He'll have to tell his brother to knock it off because his rants will end up all over the mainstream media in Edmonton.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So it improves the team for the 5-10 games he will be playing?

I think even if everyone’s healthy (and that’s a once in a blue moon occurrence) he’s still one of the top 6, even over Gravel.

Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Nurse, Sekera, Petrovic, Gravel, Benning, and Garrison is the NHL pecking order at the moment.

**Jones belongs there too (and Bear), but he’s better off in the AHL full time.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I don’t mind this. The D needs help.
Wideman was nothing.

I’m disappointed that Chia is still allowed access to moving assets though.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This whole "3rd rounders almost never turn out anyways" logic is really stupid also. That Caleb Jones kid has been looking pretty decent lately. What round was he taken in again?

Petrovic isn't going to be here next year. I'd rather gamble with the 3rd.
Florida fans have said Petrovic used to be pretty reliable. Isn't the chances that he actually plays well and re-signs around the same odds or greater odds than our 3rd round draft pick actually becoming a good NHL player?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Sorry but Petrovic is no where close to being high reward.

And a 3rd rounder is not 'nothing'
yeah look at all of those 3rd round picks the Oilers have developed over the years
Petrovic might be a good fit under Hitch's system, if he gives us even a little stability on the bottom pairings, it's a win
lets at least give the guy a few games before we throw him under the bus

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm surprised Chiarelli is still allowed to make trades. What a tool. Lose a 3rd rounder in a lateral trade...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00