Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Don’t mind this too much. I would have perfected Pysyk, but Petro is at least a proven 3rd pairing option, who can step up and take a few more minutes.

He also eats some of Larsson’s defensive minutes, not a bad thing. Ideally I’d let Adam takes Benning’s offensive minutes, and you let Petro take as much defensive starts as he can.

So you get Russell and Petro into the lineup next game. That’ll be much welcomed.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Petrovic
Gravel-Jones

When healthy...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Petrovic
Russell-Sekera

That actually looks okay
Petro is faaar from a second pairing guy and that pairing with Nurse would get absolutely shredded. Petro was scratched 11 times this year already, he isn't top 4 material. He is a 3rd pairing guy at best.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Petro is faaar from a second pairing guy and that pairing with Nurse would get absolutely shredded. Petro was scratched 11 times this year already, he isn't top 4 material. He is a 3rd pairing guy at best.

Ehh I wouldn’t really view it as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd pairing setup. I’d expect all 3 pairings to get similar minutes, with maybe Russell-Sekera getting speedier matchups, and Nurse-Petro getting bigger lines.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I liked Gravel because we got him for nothing. But I like this too because its a similar punishing player, no nonsense D, and a guy that can just clear net and keep guys from getting the easy ones around the net. Our goalies have been hung out to dry the last half dozen games. This addresses that as does Petrovic size.

Wideman is exactly the type of D that wasn't helping. He was horrible in ownzone and coverage. Wideman might work better in schemes and configs we don't have. Petrovic is a fit with what we do.

To me sending Wideman away is almost a plus in this. I could never understand acquiring him. I actually like we've been able to parlay Wideman for Petrovic.

Essentially we got a Petrovic rental for a 6th and a 3rd pick. We have to compete now so I don't mind it costing some low probability futures.
Yes, this type of system did not fit Wideman's style of play. He is reunited with a former Ottawa player in Hoffman. Petrovic is local who is big, the concern might be we are again not generating any offense at all and actually have taken a step back.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Florida fans seem happy to see him go. Who knows though. One mans garbage can be another mans treasure. He proved he can play well in the past but seems to have taken a few steps back. (according to the fans) Hes young so its not over. Its a medium risk gamble.

Reactions: Consultant

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Bob Green saw him play in Red Deer 8 years ago and said he was great.
raw

Reactions: frag2 and Mcwinner

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bobby Nicks to Chia this morning.."Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber..."
fHAmR2l.gif

"you totally redeem yourself!!

I totally would pay good money to see a Dumb & Dumber reboot with Peter and Bobby Burgers starring.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Wideman reminded me of a fly annoying someone when they're trying to mow the lawn. I don't know much about Petrovic; I am hoping this helps gets us through our injury woes.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Petrovic is better than Wideman and the most important thing at this point is getting through the injuries. We’ll see how the value pans out, but at least it makes us better right now

A 3rd and Jerabek for Petrovic actually

And the third is probably the one who we got for Brandon "Healthy Scratch" Davidson.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Shuffled deck chairs isn’t going to help this team.

If chia wants to save his job he better try harder...

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
In what world is a 7th D protected in an expansion draft just a couple years ago? Petrovic was even recently part of the Panthers core. Its ridiculous to say otherwise. The guy is 26, isn't done, and still lots of miles left and has had more use in top 4 pairing in his NHL career. At worst here he's a 5/6 assuming we move out a higher priced D which is inevitable.

Fair enough. I agree with your analysis.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Wideman was a puny runt, not what you need for 3rd pairing D. Petrovic will be more useful in that capacity and hopefully push Benning and Garrison out. Losing the 3rd kinda sucks but this organization has trouble making good picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds anyway

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Btw is the 6th the EDM one or the St.Louis one from the Jerabek trade?

Either way it’s ~100th pick for an established NHL’er. I’m don’t see why people would freak out over this. It’s the definition of an inconsequential move.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Either way it’s ~100th pick for an established NHL’er. I’m don’t see why people would freak out over this. It’s the definition of an inconsequential move.
Because it doesn't make the team better?

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012

I think the 6th was traded for Wideman originally, no? The trade was Wideman (st. Louis 6th)+the better of our 3rds this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad