Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Just wait for when his brother starts to complain on twatter that Alex ain't getting enough ice time under Hitch and the coach/mgmt is trying derail his career.

WIOiler

Apr 19, 2017
I thought Petro just needed a new place to grow. I liked his game and was alright with the trade. That was until I saw him play for the Oilers. My god, he sucks. I think Manning is playing better than him, and that's hard to say. Fire Chia and let someone else try to put out the fire he started. All he does is pour gas on it with every trade.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I thought Petro just needed a new place to grow.

There was that possibility but his level of play started decline in the previous season and it just got worse this season. At some point in the past he showed some potential to be a decent bottom pairing dman with being able to throw some hits and score couple of points with limited TOI but he got injured couple of times so that probably played a part on him not being so physical anymore and handling the puck well enough that it would convert into points.

Reactions: WIOiler

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Petrovic is a fine add and probably fills that 'glue guy' role long-term if he's somehow willing to take a reasonable pay cut.

He's looked fine in the first few games he's been here.
Does he still look fine to you ?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Does he still look fine to you ?
He does. That mishandled puck on the Toffoli goal? It should've been cleared by Caleb Jones initially. The Carter goal? He was positioned perfectly to take away the 2 on 1 option.

He looks like a bottom pair plug, which is exactly what I expected from him. Pair him with a guy who doesn't go swatting butterflies and we might actually have a reasonably solid bottom pairing.

The only question I have is why we have so many of these guys right now.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

space321

May 11, 2011
Wideman just got waived lol

at this rate I would waive petrovic and manning soon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He does. That mishandled puck on the Toffoli goal? It should've been cleared by Caleb Jones initially. The Carter goal? He was positioned perfectly to take away the 2 on 1 option.

He looks like a bottom pair plug, which is exactly what I expected from him. Pair him with a guy who doesn't go swatting butterflies and we might actually have a reasonably solid bottom pairing.

The shot differential against him has been astounding so far. Any pairing he's on becomes a tire fire. For a 3rd round pick, I think I'd expect much more. Don't we have enough bottom pairing plugs already? His lateral movement is terrible and I think that is his biggest issue. Skating is not up to snuff, just like it wasn't for Griffin Reinhart. Toffoli is not known as being a terrific skater, but he went around Petrovic with ease.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The shot differential against him has been astounding so far. Any pairing he's on becomes a tire fire. For a 3rd round pick, I think I'd expect much more. Don't we have enough bottom pairing plugs already? His lateral movement is terrible and I think that is his biggest issue. Skating is not up to snuff, just like it wasn't for Griffin Reinhart.

Its amazing how stupid Chiarelli is. Petrovic and Manning are horse shit players. Gravel's been literally fine as a bottom d man. Gryba/Davidson > Petrovic/Manning. Thanks for adding more cap space with Manning's garbage contract, Peter. What a f***ing clown of a GM.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The shot differential against him has been astounding so far. Any pairing he's on becomes a tire fire. For a 3rd round pick, I think I'd expect much more. Don't we have enough bottom pairing plugs already? His lateral movement is terrible and I think that is his biggest issue. Skating is not up to snuff, just like it wasn't for Griffin Reinhart. Toffoli is not known as being a terrific skater, but he went around Petrovic with ease.
Petrovic was standing still on that play. He bobbled the puck with his hand. How are you attributing that play to his skating, which honestly hasn't been that noticeable from what I've seen this far?

Listen man, I get that people hated these moves and can even agree that when all is said and done, neither one of those guys is on a healthy Oilers roster. Trading a 3rd round pick for him is questionable. But honestly listen to your critiques of the player. It's quite obvious you're harbouring a heavy bias against the player.

Shot differential for a stay at home defenseman? Where's the context? Who's he out there with? What are his assignments? The guy is getting hung out to dry by his D partners.

At the end of the day what do you honestly think you can get on the trade market for a 3rd round pick in January?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Petrovic was standing still on that play. He bobbled the puck with his hand. How are you attributing that play to his skating, which honestly hasn't been that noticeable from what I've seen this far?

Listen man, I get that people hated these moves and can even agree that when all is said and done, neither one of those guys is on a healthy Oilers roster. Trading a 3rd round pick for him is questionable. But honestly listen to your critiques of the player. It's quite obvious you're harbouring a heavy bias against the player.

Shot differential for a stay at home defenseman? Where's the context? Who's he out there with? What are his assignments? The guy is getting hung out to dry by his D partners.

At the end of the day what do you honestly think you can get on the trade market for a 3rd round pick in January?

If the trade in January isn't an upgrade for your team, and is just more of the same, you don't make it. You hang on to the bullet, instead of wildly firing it. You asked yourself, "why do we have so many of these guys now?"

As for any bias towards the player, I hold nothing against him personally. I just don't think he is very good, and I think you're trying to desperately put some lipstick on him.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

chiarelli-shrug.jpg

Reactions: Jarvi

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Because Chiarelli wants it to look like he's trying to fix the D but has no cap space or trade chips to get anything better.
yeah, which is pretty much the definition of someone that needs to go. And I'm pretty sure the only reason he hasn't is that the rest of the dingdongs in UM have their fingers all over this garbage.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Because Chiarelli wants it to look like he's trying to fix the D but has no cap space or trade chips to get anything better.

Yet he further crippled the cap space by unnecessarily adding Manning and his gross 2 year contract.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If the trade in January isn't an upgrade for your team, and is just more of the same, you don't make it. You hang on to the bullet, instead of wildly firing it. You asked yourself, "why do we have so many of these guys now?"

As for any bias towards the player, I hold nothing against him personally. I just don't think he is very good, and I think you're trying to desperately put some lipstick on him.
Put lipstick on him? I have barely complimented him. What I'm doing is adding some context for people like you who are seeing the -3 and coming to the table with 'how do you like him now?' quotes.

Looking at him as a player apart from the trade, he's a guy we can certainly use today with the injuries we're currently facing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Put lipstick on him? I have barely complimented him. What I'm doing is adding some context for people like you who are seeing the -3 and coming to the table with 'how do you like him now?' quotes.

Looking at him as a player apart from the trade, he's a guy we can certainly use today with the injuries we're currently facing.
You just said in an earlier post, "the only question is why do we have so many of these guys now?" You're contradicting yourself. You say, we can use him with all the injuries and then in the next breath, ask why do we have so many of them? The point is, we don't and didn't need anymore bottom pairing guys, as we already had them and then some. And now, have wasted a 3rd round pick on another.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You just said in an earlier post, "the only question is why do we have so many of these guys now?" You're contradicting yourself. You say, we can use him with all the injuries and then in the next breath, ask why do we have so many of them? The point is, we don't and didn't need anymore bottom pairing guys, as we already had them and then some. And now, have wasted a 3rd round pick on another.
When that trade happened, we were on a potential season-ending losing streak. That is the reason why we traded for Alex Petrovic.

At the end of the day, yes, there are still too many bodies. There's still another shoe that has to drop.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
When that trade happened, we were on a potential season-ending losing streak. That is the reason why we traded for Alex Petrovic.

At the end of the day, yes, there are still too many bodies. There's still another shoe that has to drop.
So, by your logic (and I guess Chiarelli's), we have a glut of bottom pairing men. So, bring in some more of the same to end a losing streak? And presently the losing continues, but now we have even a larger glut of bottom pairing men, given up a 3rd round pick, and have taken on more cap room to boot. How does this make sense in any world?

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Gave up a 3rd to possibly get the worse player in a swap. Chia, master of B-trades.

It's a bad trade. Aside from hockey abilities, Im not a fan of Petro or his family either. They trashed our coaches and our organization plenty of times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad