Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Brilliant observation!! Mandog will definitely bounce back the rest of this season and next as well.

Honest question, has Manning's skating always been this poor? I actually think that he has some good tools in his game (decent passer and shooter as well as being gritty) but his skating is quite poor for a NHL defenseman.

space321

May 11, 2011
Honest question, has Manning's skating always been this poor? I actually think that he has some good tools in his game (decent passer and shooter as well as being gritty) but his skating is quite poor for a NHL defenseman.

do you not remember how he injured mcdavid? it was literally because manning couldn't skate

Reactions: The Nuge

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Petrovic is a fine add and probably fills that 'glue guy' role long-term if he's somehow willing to take a reasonable pay cut.

He's looked fine in the first few games he's been here.
How do you feel about the fine add theses days? At least when they see fit to actually play him?

Reactions: smitty10

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Apparently I'm the only one who thinks he was fine this trip?

Other than not tying up his mans stick in front of the net yesterday I'd say that he's made strides since coming here. I'd consider signing him to a cheap <$1.5 million 1 or 2 year deal.

Reactions: ujju2

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Other than not tying up his mans stick in front of the net yesterday I'd say that he's made strides since coming here. I'd consider signing him to a cheap <$1.5 million 1 or 2 year deal.
Unless they can move Manning and Benning I don't see roster room for that but as a third pairing fill in he's been fine. There's no reason he won't return at least a 4th at the deadline.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unless they can move Manning and Benning I don't see roster room for that but as a third pairing fill in he's been fine. There's no reason he won't return at least a 4th at the deadline.

That is the dilemma. If we can move them then I'd keep him as a cheap 6/7. If not and we are stuck with them then I deal him for whatever we can get.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I havent minded Petrovics game. Same goes for Gravel.
In terms of players the Oilers should be targeting to get rid of I think that Manning should be a priority.
Next should be Petrovic and then Gravel.

I would keep Benning over Manning, Petrovic and Gravel. His game can still grow and his tool set is better than the other players IMO.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
By bad I mean he’s like a 6/7. He’s not worth what we paid for him. He’s been fine in that role though. He’s a similar calibre to Gravel imo
I dunno, giving up a third for a rental bottom pairing guy is pretty much the set price around the league. I'll be surprised if they don't recoup a comparable pick at the deadline.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Better than Manning imo, so he’s at least not the worst dman, but still bad.
He's absolutely worse than Manning.

Might be the worst d-man in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong. They both suck. But the fact that Chiarelli gave up a 3rd for what is probably going to be at most ~30 games of this player is just hilarity.

So much for the "Well he can't be worse than Benning" contingent.

Turns out that adding garbage players to an already garbage team isn't a recipe for success.

Reactions: smitty10

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How do you feel about the fine add theses days? At least when they see fit to actually play him?
Didn't like the cost, but really have no problem with him on the bottom pair if we're able to move on from Matt Benning.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's absolutely worse than Manning.

Might be the worst d-man in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong. They both suck. But the fact that Chiarelli gave up a 3rd for what is probably going to be at most ~30 games of this player is just hilarity.

So much for the "Well he can't be worse than Benning" contingent.

Turns out that adding garbage players to an already garbage team isn't a recipe for success.
Who knew?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'd probably keep him over Benning (who has also improved under Hitch) or Manning. That said, this is how I see the defence to start the year:

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Sekera
Nurse-Gravel
Petrovic

And by the end of the year:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard/Bear/Jones
Rusfsell-Sekera/Bear/Bouchard/Jones (maybe Sekera gets dealt).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is he better defensively than Benning? He's looked horrible to me.
Is Roseanne hotter than Rosie O'Donnell?
Benning has another year left. Petrovic is a UFA.
I'd probably keep him over Benning (who has also improved under Hitch) or Manning. That said, this is how I see the defence to start the year:

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Sekera
Nurse-Gravel
Petrovic

And by the end of the year:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard/Bear/Jones
Rusfsell-Sekera/Bear/Bouchard/Jones (maybe Sekera gets dealt).
I don't see the value in burying Manning. He's a decent bottom pair defenseman when there's someone to cover for his lapses. He's probably the third best puck moving defenseman on the roster behind Klefbom and Sekera.

Again, the trade itself was boneheaded, but the player has strengths that we can utilize. Gravel, unless he's willing to sign a league minimum deal, is probably playing elsewhere. The way I'm seeing it, unless a significant trade occurs,

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - XXXXX
Sekera - Russell
Manning

XXXXX is either Bouchard, Bear, Persson or a UFA.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - XXXXX
Sekera - Russell
Manning

XXXXX is either Bouchard, Bear, Persson or a UFA.

I hope our new GM can add an asset to Sekera/Russell in an upgrade trade so we have a vet to pair with Nurse. Don't want a rookie there, Nurse is already way too chaotic.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
If it were up to me, We get rid of Benning, Nurse, Gravel, Manning, and Petrovic. Hell trade one of Klef or Larsson for something better or try. This D needs to be even average next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad