Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
If we actually had a good scouting/development program, we could've drafted Brayden Point in the third round. Those picks shouldn't be throwaways. We traded a terrible dman for another terrible dman but it also cost us a decent draft pick. **** Chia, **** Nicholson, **** 'em all.

If teams had 100% scouting ,Point would be a top 5 pick. Let alone a 3rd.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's good to note also that in losing Klefbom/Russell/Sekera... none of those dmen are overly physical in the sense of being big hitters or supplying truculence... it's their all-around games that are being missed.. not their abilities to hit and be physical.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well we needed an emergency trade for a Dman like 7 games ago but I’ll take it. But of course in Chia fashion he has to let his riverboat gambles play out a bit before realizing the obvious. But atleast it wasn’t like Auvuti/Gryba where the whole season he thought one of them would become something they never were throughout the whole season. He gave Wideman a small chance here, and Wideman with his Offensive skill could have worked if the est of the defence wasn’t decimated, but to rely on Widemans to take anything higher than 3rd pair defensive minutes while on a depleted D is obviously a recipe for disaster.

I don’t know much about Petrovic but with the amount of games he’s logged in the NHL he has to be a steadier option than what we have. I don’t mind this move, but we still need to rely on Petrovic being better than he’s ever been in getting to get our D back to NHL average.

Reactions: Multigrain

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
If we actually had a good scouting/development program, we could've drafted Brayden Point in the third round. Those picks shouldn't be throwaways. We traded a terrible dman for another terrible dman but it also cost us a decent draft pick. **** Chia, **** Nicholson, **** 'em all.
No kidding. Due to this shit franchise being garbage at drafting people seem to think anything other than a top 10 pick is worthless. Even if we never used the pick, I'm sure it could have been used in a deal for something more valuable than Petrovic. How is yet another bottom pairing D what we needed? I get we have injuries, but even when everyone is back it is the top 4 that needs an upgrade.

This is the same as when we would pick up the Fistric and Fraser's of the world back when the OBC weren't only lurking in the shadows.

And to those saying he is an upgrade on Benning, lets hold our horses on that. In his second year alone Benning surpassed Petrovic's career goal total. He would have to be pretty damn good defensively to make up the difference between the two, and judging by how Florida fans seem happy he is gone, I find that doubtful.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
One element Petro does bring that the Oil have struggled with is boxing out the front of the net.

I think he fits in, but annoyingly I think this team will view him as similar to Larsson and Russell, and as a guy that give his partner (likely Nurse or Sekera) a green light to attack... That concerns me. The Oil need need more guys that drive the play from the backend, not cover for the average-at-best ones they already have.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
There are just so many other holes it's hard to say how much of an impact this trade will have (if any). But let's hope things finally start coming into place.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Tough to get a read on this board. Yes, Chia made the deal so, in reality, it could have been a third-round pick for Morgan Rielly and it would still get criticized here. The fact is the Oilers need some Dmen with experience, after having 3 of their top 6 out of the lineup. Petrovic was pretty cheap. Hasn't played well but can definitely fill a #6 dman role here. Good deal IMO

Reactions: VainGretzky

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well we needed an emergency trade for a Dman like 7 games ago but I’ll take it. But of course in Chia fashion he has to let his riverboat gambles play out a bit before realizing the obvious. But atleast it wasn’t like Auvuti/Gryba where the whole season he thought one of them would become something they never were throughout the whole season. He gave Wideman a small chance here, and Wideman with his Offensive skill could have worked if the est of the defence wasn’t decimated, but to rely on Widemans to take anything higher than 3rd pair defensive minutes while on a depleted D is obviously a recipe for disaster.

I don’t know much about Petrovic but with the amount of games he’s logged in the NHL he has to be a steadier option than what we have. I don’t mind this move, but we still need to rely on Petrovic being better than he’s ever been in getting to get our D back to NHL average.

Common sense take. Refreshing. :nod:

Reactions: AVE MAN

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
One element Petro does bring that the Oil have struggled with is boxing out the front of the net.

I think he fits in, but annoyingly I think this team will view him as similar to Larsson and Russell, and as a guy that give his partner (likely Nurse or Sekera) a green light to attack... That concerns me. The Oil need need more guys that drive the play from the backend, not cover for the average-at-best ones they already have.

They might be forced to rotate him in and out of the 2nd pairing with Gravel just out of necessity.

I am curious to see how Petrovic looks. In addition to what you mentioned (assuming its accurate) he is also apparently pretty good at breaking up the cycle as well. Wideman was terrible on multiple levels so this is an obvious upgrade IMO.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
And here is the thought process that leads to having a team like ours.

Then again, it seems as though no matter who we pick, we can't develop them.

Don't like the trade, Petrovic is brutal. Hope he can find his game here in a division and with a coach that suits his style more, but I won't be holding my breath.

You think our trading of picks has what sent us into a rebuild? Not the fact that our management has no idea how to use those picks? We have an awful track record of late round picks for the last decade, we have 2 thirds, trading one of them isn’t going to sink this ship

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
What rounds were Caleb Jones and Juhjar Khaira drafted?

A dman who has still to try to pan out, and a 3rd/4th liner? I take it back, those can’t miss super stars are slam dunks to be had in the third round better keep the picks.

I’m glad you have a lot more faith in our scouting staff then I.

The odds on that pick playing more games in an Oiler uniform then petrovic are not high my friend

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
You think our trading of picks has what sent us into a rebuild? Not the fact that our management has no idea how to use those picks? We have an awful track record of late round picks for the last decade, we have 2 thirds, trading one of them isn’t going to sink this ship
Actually I addressed that in the second paragraph, that we probably wouldn't have used the pick wisely anyways. Doesn't mean it was a good move to get rid of it. The problem is there is no value put on picks by our management. They obviously don't put the effort into scouting and development of those picks that they should. If you don't get that, you're sure not living up to your username...

Yeah throw away a third here, a 2nd there, a 4th next week. Next thing you know you have 4 forwards with more than 5 goals halfway through the season.

The ship is already sunk, we're all in life rafts at this point.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I dont know. I actually have liked the job that Keith Gretzky and his staff have been doing.
It hasn't been terrible, but we still have little to show for it. Plus a few big misses like again taking an inferior player in Benson because he is from Edmonton, over Debrincat who would look real good on McD's wing.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We cough up a fringe #6 d-man and a 3rd rounder and in return we get...... a legit #6 d-man.
Seriously, GET OUT OF HERE! This is insane!
How did this bozo get a job in the first place?
Bozo the clown could legit do a better job.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It hasn't been terrible, but we still have little to show for it. Plus a few big misses like again taking an inferior player in Benson because he is from Edmonton, over Debrincat who would look real good on McD's wing.

It's too early to have something to show from the later rounds.

Benson has finally been healthy and seems to be doing well in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00