Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You’re talking nonsense. Benson was projected to go around there. He wasn’t a reach. He wasn’t picked because he’s from Alberta.

The Oilers had a bunch of smaller forwards and wanted someone a little bigger with skill.

What does Tkachuk have to do with anything? Puljujarvi was projected to go top three and when he fell to us, most of us were thrilled.

Did I want Tkachuk? Absolutely but when Puljujarvi fell I thought we lucked out.

You’re all over the place looking for reasons to bash scouting.

Also who said the cavalry is coming? We’re just excited that we seem to actually be making better picks rather than going walkabout and picking Cameron Abneys and Troy Heskeths in early rounds.

Just to support you POV....Burke said in an interview that the Flames would have taken Puljujarvi if he was still available.
I am also not ashamed to admit that I was very happy when Jesse was still available at #4.

Reactions: North

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yup... It was a toss up between Petrovic and Pysyk up until the beginning of this season.
He would certainly be an upgrade over Wideman.

Wideman is the better dman.

Petrovic "seems" better because he has size and is physical... doesn't actually help his team in the GF/GA battles where it matters the most though.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
I'm not even saying I wanted Debrincat, I'm not a scout:laugh:
What are you saying then? Almost 20 teams had a "big miss" on Debrincat. And Benson wasn't a reach.
Respected hockey minds like Ken Holland would laugh at your logic. In discussing guys like Datsyuk & Zetts, who were both picked very late. He would say "If we were so smart we wouldn't have waited to pick them when we did". You should take a look at the jokers they picked ahead of them.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Just like Paajarvi, and Omark, and Chase, and so on and so on.

Fact is, we passed on a player with known chemistry with our captain and a scoring touch; for an average prospect that has had trouble staying healthy. Coincidentally, that same prospect happens to be from here, which I believe was a driving factor in picking him. Which never seems to work out for us, as our previous scouts figured out many times.

Listen, I'm not saying Benson is a bust, or won't ever amount to anything. I'm just saying for us to be singing Gretzky's praises right now, is a little too soon.
Sheesh, I don't see your point at all. Omark was a 4th round pick and Chase was 7th round, did you expect them to be stars?

We also picked a few players who had chemistry with a major stars in Pouliot and Gagner and it didn't pan. Taking a chance on a very small player is a risk, Chicago got lucky. You can go through any draft and see you could have picked someone else. Jamie Benn type people are missed all the time.

Benson was the best player available at his draft spot, plain and simple. If Benson did not have injury issues in juniors, he would have went much higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: North

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm done arguing with someone who seems to struggle with reading comprehension. You can pat the scouts on the back despite the players not yet making an impact, I'll wait.

And you don't seem to understand that it’s still too early to assess exactly what these players will become. Come back when you understand drafting and developing.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I see it's against the current, but I like this. Wideman didn't do anything to warrent staying, Petrovic I think is a lot better than most portray here. He just needs to play the right role.

Reactions: guymez

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I swear to god Chiarelli's scouting reports must all be 5+ years old.

Reclamation projects, change-in-scenery chumps, or declining vets. Somehow he created another category with Manning: **** you Connor, you're supposed to save my job, here's the dude that broke you're collarbone

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
And you don't seem to understand that it’s still too early to assess exactly what these players will become. Come back when you understand drafting and developing.
Lmao

How about all of you go back and re-read, this time real slow.

Last edited:

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Sheesh, I don't see your point at all. Omark was a 4th round pick and Chase was 7th round, did you expect them to be stars?

We also picked a few players who had chemistry with a major stars in Pouliot and Gagner and it didn't pan. Taking a chance on a very small player is a risk, Chicago got lucky. You can go through any draft and see you could have picked someone else. Jamie Benn type people are missed all the time.

Benson was the best player available at his draft spot, plain and simple. If Benson did not have injury issues in juniors, he would have went much higher.
Actually no I didn't, which is my f***ing point. That this board counts their chickens before they hatch every goddamn year in regards to proapects.

This wasn't a Jamie Benn miss where not many knew of him. Bobby Mac and Button had Debrincat ranked higher. So no, Benson wasn't the best player available. We have a player who after more injuries, is now showing g alright in the AHL, Chicago has a guy that is on pace for 40 goals, would you say we missed out? A simple yes or no is more than enough.

Yeah that's it, every other team just gets lucky. Why do we even pay scouts if it's all just luck? Might as well just fire em all and go off of predraft rankings online.

Again, until one of these picks amount to anything, how about we wait before pumping the scouts tires? That is all that was being said.

And to all you idiots bringing up late round gems like Datsyuk etc, that isn't my point at all. Debrincat was ranked higher. There is always gonna be players that take off post-draft and blow away expectations, which is hard to scout for obviously; and not my point at all. But keep up the strawman arguments.

Reactions: Helistin

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I remember when Petrovic was seen as a great prospect. I get that those opinions get trumped quickly by actual play, but under different coaching (Gallant), Petrovic actually did show good signs in the NHL. That doesn't mean he will under Hitchcock of course, but to me this deal is far more intriguing than many say. I'm not expecting him to run our PP or anything, but perhaps the high ceiling for him is something that will stay with the team for a long time. I listened to that cult of hockey podcast loosely compare him to potentially a Jason Smith type. He was meant to replace what Gudbranson was for them. Our D is hurting right now so I'm glad we rolled the dice on this guy.

Reactions: AVE MAN

Furious Nerd

Jan 18, 2018
I really liked Petrovic in junior. He put up points there and put up a decent amount of points in the AHL. Haven't watched him much as a pro, but he would appear to have been decent until this year.

Chia may have bought low here on a player Florida gave up on after a bad start.

I don't mind this trade. If Petrovic can get his game back here he will definitely play more than Wideman.

Reactions: AVE MAN

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Not many are happy about these trades but I'm willing to see what they bring before judging. I'm in the minority of guys who like the Petrovic trade. I like him and think he is going to fit in well and surprise a lot of people.

The Manning trade is a weird one but again who knows maybe the guy will fit in and be ok. Hitchcock needs something different on D and we ask that the GM makes changes when the team is losing. He is at least trying which is more than some for mer GM's did in Edmonton.

I'm not saying I love Chia but I'm curious to see how this pans out. I see a big win tonight for the Oilers. Hope I'm right.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Actually no I didn't, which is my ****ing point. That this board counts their chickens before they hatch every goddamn year in regards to proapects.

This wasn't a Jamie Benn miss where not many knew of him. Bobby Mac and Button had Debrincat ranked higher. So no, Benson wasn't the best player available. We have a player who after more injuries, is now showing g alright in the AHL, Chicago has a guy that is on pace for 40 goals, would you say we missed out? A simple yes or no is more than enough.

Yeah that's it, every other team just gets lucky. Why do we even pay scouts if it's all just luck? Might as well just fire em all and go off of predraft rankings online.

Again, until one of these picks amount to anything, how about we wait before pumping the scouts tires? That is all that was being said.

And to all you idiots bringing up late round gems like Datsyuk etc, that isn't my point at all. Debrincat was ranked higher. There is always gonna be players that take off post-draft and blow away expectations, which is hard to scout for obviously; and not my point at all. But keep up the strawman arguments.
Your logic is ahh, not very good.
Try harder

space321

May 11, 2011
yeah look at all of those 3rd round picks the Oilers have developed over the years
Petrovic might be a good fit under Hitch's system, if he gives us even a little stability on the bottom pairings, it's a win
lets at least give the guy a few games before we throw him under the bus

yah look at all the 1st overalls we developed, might as well just give those away too

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Petrovich got a point tonight and looked real good. I think this was a good pickup.

Let's be honest when it comes to playoffs Petrovich is not going to be a seriese changer but he's got enough juice to keep this team going.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

No, debrincat was. Injuries are part of the evaluation process and Benson was a known wheelchair.
Plus he was mcdavids linemate which should have made it easy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->