Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Oilers Acquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman & 3rd '19

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The two defencemen we just acquired have a total of 4 points in 56 games. They will not 'move the needle'. They will not 'improve our defence'. The two defencemen alone that we traded for them have TWICE the points while playing HALF as many games.

We just downgraded our defence (somehow trading away two healthy scratch shit shows still leaves an opportunity for downgrading. Chia brilliance), took on salary, gave up picks, and traded away our second leading goal scorer on the wing. All of this to get two defenceman who will be healthy scratches or genuinely inept and void of any offence.

Matt f***ing Benning alone has 2x as many points as the two disasters we just brought in on far less salary, and he is considered to be one of the worst defenceman this organization has ever seen.

I'm truly perplexed. To top it off, there are 100 'Brandon Manning' tier players in this league who I'm certain you can get for garbage. Why did we bring this player in? Specifically to piss off the only good player we have? Jesus Christ, what about Bear or Lagesson? Garrison and Wideman were two total garbage fires yet as you will come to see, they are not any worse than Petrovic and Manning.

If it weren't for McDavid, today would be the day I stopped watching Oilers hockey. I only watch the team play now because I get to watch one of the world's best ever hockey talents play. Might have to just pick another team to become a fan of and catch Oilers games when I can, or watch his highlights. I'm sick to my stomach.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
It hasn't been terrible, but we still have little to show for it. Plus a few big misses like again taking an inferior player in Benson because he is from Edmonton, over Debrincat who would look real good on McD's wing.
Benson is a good pick, he will be a good NHL player for years to come.

Debrincat was a gamble because of size, we are finding this out with Yamamoto.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The two defencemen we just acquired have a total of 4 points in 56 games. They will not 'move the needle'. They will not 'improve our defence'. The two defencemen alone that we traded for them have TWICE the points while playing HALF as many games.

We just downgraded our defence (somehow trading away two healthy scratch **** shows still leaves an opportunity for downgrading. Chia brilliance), took on salary, gave up picks, and traded away our second leading goal scorer on the wing. All of this to get two defenceman who will be healthy scratches or genuinely inept and void of any offence.

Matt ****ing Benning alone has 2x as many points as the two disasters we just brought in on far less salary, and he is considered to be one of the worst defenceman this organization has ever seen.

I'm truly perplexed. To top it off, there are 100 'Brandon Manning' tier players in this league who I'm certain you can get for garbage. Why did we bring this player in? Specifically to piss off the only good player we have? Jesus Christ, what about Bear or Lagesson? Garrison and Wideman were two total garbage fires yet as you will come to see, they are not any worse than Petrovic and Manning.

If it weren't for McDavid, today would be the day I stopped watching Oilers hockey. I only watch the team play now because I get to watch one of the world's best ever hockey talents play. Might have to just pick another team to become a fan of and catch Oilers games when I can, or watch his highlights. I'm sick to my stomach.
I'm just watching McDavid highlights and doing something else with my time.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
It's too early to have something to show from the later rounds.

Benson has finally been healthy and seems to be doing well in the AHL.
He is under PPG, which I suppose isn't the worst, but I'd still like to see more. Until he does something up here, it is a case of management taking an inferior player based on the town he grew up in, rather than his actual ability. Which has been a problem for how many years now?

I get it, we can be hopeful, but how many times have we thought "this group of prospects is different!" I'm not gonna sing Gretzky's praises until some of these picks show to be impact players. Fortunately Jones seems to be showing well.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Benson is a good pick, he will be a good NHL player for years to come.
Just like Paajarvi, and Omark, and Chase, and so on and so on.

Fact is, we passed on a player with known chemistry with our captain and a scoring touch; for an average prospect that has had trouble staying healthy. Coincidentally, that same prospect happens to be from here, which I believe was a driving factor in picking him. Which never seems to work out for us, as our previous scouts figured out many times.

Listen, I'm not saying Benson is a bust, or won't ever amount to anything. I'm just saying for us to be singing Gretzky's praises right now, is a little too soon.

North

Jun 25, 2009
He is under PPG, which I suppose isn't the worst, but I'd still like to see more. Until he does something up here, it is a case of management taking an inferior player based on the town he grew up in, rather than his actual ability. Which has been a problem for how many years now?

I get it, we can be hopeful, but how many times have we thought "this group of prospects is different!" I'm not gonna sing Gretzky's praises until some of these picks show to be impact players. Fortunately Jones seems to be showing well.

People complain when we rush prospects and then complain when we try to develop them. Can't win.

Benson was highly touted until injuries hit. He was a good pick where they took him.

This wasn't a Moroz style reach.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018

We just downgraded our defence (somehow trading away two healthy scratch **** shows still leaves an opportunity for downgrading. Chia brilliance), took on salary, gave up picks, and traded away our second leading goal scorer on the wing. All of this to get two defenceman who will be healthy scratches or genuinely inept and void of any offence.

Matt ****ing Benning alone has 2x as many points as the two disasters we just brought in on far less salary, and he is considered to be one of the worst defenceman this organization has ever seen.

Matt Benning 8 Points
Chris Wideman 7 points.
Benning has played 10 or more games.
Maybe the answer is trade the whole defense.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
People complain when we rush prospects and then complain when we try to develop them. Can't win.

Benson was highly touted until injuries hit. He was a good pick where they took him.

This wasn't a Moroz style reach.
I'm not complaining about development. I'm saying as of today Debrincat was a better pick; and that we shouldn't act like the cavalry is on the way until it actually gets here.

It's doesn't really matter what the pre-draft rankings said; good scouting finds players that shoot up the rankings after the draft.

I have nothing against Benson, and hope he proves me wrong on Debrincat being a better player. But if both players continue on their development equally (which obviously won't be the case, could go either way) it really isn't arguable that our scouts failed to identify the best player at that draft position.

Now, drafting a player that wasn't the best pick at that spot, and also happens to be a good ole Berta boy, those sound a lot like the characteristics of our drafts for the last decade+, no? Maybe a coincidence, but we just traded for 2 western canadian plugs so my mind is kind of on that right now.

Also, perhaps calling it a big miss was too soon. Tkachuk was a big miss. Benson is TBD.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
If the oilers are out of it at the deadline, these guys get you the 3rd round picks back. If we are still in the playoff picture at the deadline, then these were good moves

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I was looking for Petrovic highlights and I found this low-light instead. Respect him for dropping the gloves but should have taken the first L and called it a night

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I was looking for Petrovic highlights and I found this low-light instead. Respect him for dropping the gloves but should have taken the first L and called it a night

Reminds me of Lucic vs Komisarek. Unfortunately, guy we got was the Komisarek.

But hey, we already have a Lucic!!! WOOOoooo.....ugh

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm not complaining about development. I'm saying as of today Debrincat was a better pick; and that we shouldn't act like the cavalry is on the way until it actually gets here.

It's doesn't really matter what the pre-draft rankings said; good scouting finds players that shoot up the rankings after the draft.

I have nothing against Benson, and hope he proves me wrong on Debrincat being a better player. But if both players continue on their development equally (which obviously won't be the case, could go either way) it really isn't arguable that our scouts failed to identify the best player at that draft position.

Now, drafting a player that wasn't the best pick at that spot, and also happens to be a good ole Berta boy, those sound a lot like the characteristics of our drafts for the last decade+, no? Maybe a coincidence, but we just traded for 2 western canadian plugs so my mind is kind of on that right now.

Also, perhaps calling it a big miss was too soon. Tkachuk was a big miss. Benson is TBD.

You’re talking nonsense. Benson was projected to go around there. He wasn’t a reach. He wasn’t picked because he’s from Alberta.

The Oilers had a bunch of smaller forwards and wanted someone a little bigger with skill.

What does Tkachuk have to do with anything? Puljujarvi was projected to go top three and when he fell to us, most of us were thrilled.

Did I want Tkachuk? Absolutely but when Puljujarvi fell I thought we lucked out.

You’re all over the place looking for reasons to bash scouting.

Also who said the cavalry is coming? We’re just excited that we seem to actually be making better picks rather than going walkabout and picking Cameron Abneys and Troy Heskeths in early rounds.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

Haha, Oilers media PR was trying to spin this 3 fight game as a positive part of this trade. After watching the fights, Petrovic is not a good fighter (against Kane anyway). That was 3 ugly fights for him.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
You’re talking nonsense. Benson was projected to go around there. He wasn’t a reach. He wasn’t picked because he’s from Alberta.

The Oilers had a bunch of smaller forwards and wanted someone a little bigger with skill.

What does Tkachuk have to do with anything? Puljujarvi was projected to go top three and when he fell to us, most of us were thrilled.

Did I want Tkachuk? Absolutely but when Puljujarvi fell I thought we lucked out.

Also who said the cavalry is coming? We’re just excited that we seem to actually be making better picks rather than going walkabout and picking Cameron Abneys and Troy Heskeths in early rounds.

Ruthless. Great post.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012

I'm done arguing with someone who seems to struggle with reading comprehension. You can pat the scouts on the back despite the players not yet making an impact, I'll wait.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
It hasn't been terrible, but we still have little to show for it. Plus a few big misses like again taking an inferior player in Benson because he is from Edmonton, over Debrincat who would look real good on McD's wing.
Oh , to be a genius and see the future. Have you actually taken a look at the rogues gallery who was picked before Debrincat,? I guess EVERYONE is stupid. But you of course.
What a joke.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Oh , to be a genius and see the future. Have you actually taken a look at the rogues gallery who was picked before Debrincat,? I guess EVERYONE is stupid. But you of course.
What a joke.
I'm not even saying I wanted Debrincat, I'm not a scout:laugh:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I am amused that we trade for a guy a few people on this board have wanted for awhile and they still ***** about it
Yup... It was a toss up between Petrovic and Pysyk up until the beginning of this season.
He would certainly be an upgrade over Wideman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad