Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Corey Perry signs with the Oilers (1 year, $775k + performance bonuses)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We also know this wasn’t a criminal issue as nothing about legal remifications have emerged. It’s likely a workplace issue of which the severity is still unknown to the public. And there could be plenty of reasons why that information is unknown, protecting identities of non-public parties and/or Chicago PR reasons are the most likely reasons. We also know that Perry has apologized for his actions and sought help to better himself as the result of whatever he did.

The Oilers aren’t “looking the other way”. In fact they looked directly at it and asked ALL the few people that are privy to what happened, exactly what happened. Could it be that with their full information they are treating it with the appropriate response? And you, with zero information and not even informing yourself of publically available information is just looking for a reason to shit on the Oilers and Perry?
Maybe I don't have zero information? Regardless, we can all argue about what he did is a one time thing, etc... My point isn't to blast the Oilers or Perry for that matter. My point is in pro sports winning trumps any ethical standards. Most fans and people that are casual to sports use this signing as an example of good athletes being exempt from repercussions. For his poor behavior, can we agree on that, whatever it was, he gets rewarded and signs with a cup contender (maybe). he has plenty of money, so not much harm with the contract being canceled to him in the scheme of things.

In less than 60 days, Perry got cleaned up, learned his lesson, and he is good to go, no harm no foul, wow:)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Wow. Finally it’s been revealed. So essentially it was more a Chicago issue than a Perry issue. I won’t call it a nothing burger but it’s very close to.

This matches the NHLPA and NHL’s reaction which essentially boiled down to: MEH.

I would say the real scandal here is that due to Chicago having a dirty history, they were allowed to just cancel a 4M contact out of thin air? No wonder the NHLPA wants to appeal.

Honestly I feel bad for Perry here. The “crime” does not fit the punishment.

Imagine if this wasn’t Perry and it was just some random average to below average 4th liner with no reputation to rely on. That player would have lost his contract and been out of the league, with no one willing to sign him, no one willing to give him a 2nd chance. This situation was one borne out of the Hawks incompetence in handling the Beach incident.

Also, for shame on Leafs homer Nick Kypreos who tried to pass judgement on Holland and the entirety of Edmonton media for not digging into this more, even though Holland literally talked to everyone and anyone that actually knew what happened of which there wasn’t much. Only Kyle Davidson, Perry, Bettman, Daley, a couple of NBC employees knew about what happened, and Kypreos threw the entire Edmonton media and by proxy its fans under the bus. f*** Kypreos too and f*** the Hawks.

Last edited:

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Save to say that in any other team not named Chicago this would not have been a "big thing".

And no, i dont defend Perry for this, but in any other team he would have get a hefty fine and maybe some social activities. And thats it.

Getting out on a 4 mill contract that easy.....wow. The NHLPA has to appeal this one.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don’t think that’s the same incident. Why would the hawks have their team and sponsors in Columbus.

This was related to an incident that occurred at the hawks like sponsorship dinner thing they had. All the big wigs were there. Why would that be done in Columbus instead of Chicago

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Wow. Finally it’s been revealed. So essentially it was more a Chicago issue than a Perry issue. I won’t call it a nothing burger but it’s very close to.

This matches the NHLPA and NHL’s reaction which essentially boiled down to: MEH.

I would say the real scandal here is that due to Chicago having a dirty history, they were allowed to just cancel a 4M contact out of thin air? No wonder the NHLPA wants to appeal.

Honestly I feel bad for Perry here. The “crime” does not fit the punishment.

Imagine if this wasn’t Perry and it was just some random average to below average 4th liner with no reputation to rely on. That player would have lost his contract and been out of the league, with no one willing to sign him, no one willing to give him a 2nd chance. This situation was one borne out of the Hawks incompetence in handling the Beach incident.

Also, for shame on Leafs homer Nick Kypreos who tried to pass judgement on Holland and the entirety of Edmonton media for not digging into this more, even though Holland literally talked to everyone and anyone that actually knew what happened of which there wasn’t much. Only Kyle Davidson, Perry, Bettman, Daley, a couple of NBC employees knew about what happened, and Kypreos threw the entire Edmonton media and by proxy its fans under the bus. f*** Kypreos too and f*** the Hawks.
And if in alternate timeline, a lawsuit was filed by an aggrieved NBC employee naming Perry and the Blackhawks as defendants that Perry sexually harrased them, the Hawks were made aware of it and did nothing about it, everyone would be in here with their torches and pitchforks going on about how the org hasn't changed or learned anything from previous mistakes.

There's no pleasing you people.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Zach Kassian came to Edmonton with baggage and he was a model citizen off the ice and turned his career around and helped us alot during the playoff run. He became a fan favorite here. He ended up re-signing with us and still cheers for this team to this day.

Evander Kane came to Edmonton with baggage and he's been nothing but great in the dressing room and even better in the community. He turned his career around and helped us alot during the playoffs too. He also ended up re-signing here.

Some of you posters can mock all you want about Edmonton being a 'trash' organization bringing in 'trash' players... but you can look at it from a different view and say that we gave them a second chance in their careers and helped turned their lives around as well.

Great post. All the posters in here are holier than thou, have never done anything wrong in their lives and believe no one deserves a second opportunity. Says more about them than anything

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And if in alternate timeline, a lawsuit was filed by an aggrieved NBC employee naming Perry and the Blackhawks as defendants that Perry sexually harrased them, the Hawks were made aware of it and did nothing about it, everyone would be in here with their torches and pitchforks going on about how the org hasn't changed or learned anything from previous mistakes.

There's no pleasing you people.

If your point begins with IF IN AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE. Please, let’s stick to the facts here. We just found out what happened. Even before we found out it was known that it was not criminal or grounds to terminate a contract. This is from the NHL and NHLPA themselves.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
If your point begins with IF IN AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE. Please, let’s stick to the facts here. We just found out what happened. Even before we found out it was known that it was not criminal or grounds to terminate a contract. This is from the NHL and NHLPA themselves.
Not a counter-arguement or counterpoint.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not a counter-arguement or counterpoint.
Actually I didn’t see what you had bolded in my post. I thought you were finding a way to still blame Perry based on a ridiculous hypothetical.

But to the point you were actually making, do you think it’s fair that he takes the brunt of the Hawks own dirty history and mishandling? Is it his fault that the Hawks had to overreact and cancel him in order to protect their already bad reputation? A reputation that was their OWN doing?

As John Short said himself, if this happened at another organization this is likely handled differently. So why should there be sympathy and understanding for an organization who made their own mess with the Beach situation? Why should we care if the pitchforks will be out for them again? It’s their own fault.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Gotta take back my mocking commentary towards this signing. I thought the termination thing was something else entirely. He's a great pick up for the coilers as they go on a run.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Great post. All the posters in here are holier than thou, have never done anything wrong in their lives and believe no one deserves a second opportunity. Says more about them than anything

You realize this is exactly what the Hawks tried to do. To cancel him. To make it so he could not get a 2nd chance by keeping an air of mystery to how serious this incident was. If this was anyone besides Perry with his playoff reputation and they were 35+ there would be no second chance. Their hockey playing legacy ruined. And why? Not cause of what Perry did, but how the Hawks PR needed to respond to what Perry did because they bungled the Beach situation.

Reactions: Foppberg

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So what Perry did was be in a bar and hit on some NBC employee? Okay, that stuff tends to happen at bars. If the NBC employee said something like "no thanks" and Perry didn't pursue further(which would have been sexual harrassment), I don't really see what the big deal is.

Reactions: Ragdoll

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Imagine if this wasn’t Perry and it was just some random average to below average 4th liner with no reputation to rely on. That player would have lost his contract and been out of the league, with no one willing to sign him, no one willing to give him a 2nd chance.

Its tough to imagine a random 4th liner having the audacity to do that. Being a bigger name with a bigger ego emboldens you to act out.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
So what Perry did was be in a bar and hit on some NBC employee? Okay, that stuff tends to happen at bars. If the NBC employee said something like "no thanks" and Perry didn't pursue further(which would have been sexual harrassment), I don't really see what the big deal is.

It’s not guaranteed it was that simple, however.

I don’t really get why Perry or his teammates didn’t fight back if it was something minor. Dude lost money, respect, his job, and hasn’t said shit, which makes me think it was beyond a simple advance. Use your imagination, he could have gotten hostile, graphic, etc. to the point where the organization didn’t want him around anymore and he accepted that decision. That’s what we know, and now he is Oiler.

Reactions: Czechboy

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You guys need to understand.. The black hawks owners .. Own Comcast.. which owns NBC lol
I'm pretty sure Bedard gets away with it, had that been him. (Accroding to the information coming out. Which is all we know. Obviously there could be more details we aren't aware of) But if so, this wasn't a "we had no choice". This was a "Perry means nothing to us and we don't want bad PR."

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure Bedard gets away with it, had that been him. (Accroding to the information coming out. Which is all we know. Obviously there could be more details we aren't aware of) But if so, this wasn't a "we had no choice". This was a "Perry means nothing to us and we don't want bad PR."

Maybe another reason why the Hawks reacted the way they did was to remove someone they felt would have a negative impact on Bedard moving forward; that is, an older player who maybe drinks too much and acts poorly when he does.

So they overreact and terminate Perry's contract based on that and how the Hawks have failed their players in the past. They now have a zero tolerance policy. That's great but this may not have reached the legal threshold to terminate the contract.

Will the NHLPA tolerate this? I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00