Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Corey Perry signs with the Oilers (1 year, $775k + performance bonuses)

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'm sure many other teams wanted him, but the Oilers paid a massive premium to sign him:)

Drinking at a team function with sponsors isn't enough to void a contract, but ok then:)

what if you are a drunken buffoon and say something to a sponsor (or sponsor employee) that you shouldn't?

Would that satisfy the following criteria:
1) Enough to get your contract terminated by an organization trying to rehab its image
2) Not enough to be considered illegal or suspendible by the league
3) Tame enough to warrant a second chance

Several sources have described it as just that... poor behavior that would not have resulted in a contract termination by other teams, but Chicago now having zero tolerance for mischief.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Kypreos said on the radio that some teams were to scared to sign him
There probably were some teams, but him and Bourne were so out to lunch. These morons said zero teams were interested lol. They were acting like a jilted lover.

Chi mad the whole thing overblown. Perrys people told him to throw out a release and do a quick program for his rep.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Kypreos said on the radio that some teams were to scared to sign him
I would take the word of several other sources (Seravelli, Chris Johnston, Corey Perry himself + others) who said there were 4 to 6 teams seriously interested in Perry. Kyper spent a whole damn show talking about Perry to Toronto after TSN's Carlo Colaiacovo reported there was mutual interest between Perry and the Leafs and half of Toronto was abuzzed and talking about it. Then after Perry signs, he says no team wanted to sign him?

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Perry is the winning ticket for any team wanting to make the cup final. The only bad thing? His team lost on the last 3 teams he was on in the cup final.

ROFL....like Montreal or Dallas had a chance. And in 2022....well...they got beat at their own game...and got capped.

As fun as it always was to use this narrative before, I always knew it was bullshit and had nothing to do with him and am not bothered by it.

That said, if Chicago wins the lottery again, I'm looking at you, Hall!! ;)

snag

Feb 22, 2014
There probably were some teams, but him and Bourne were so out to lunch. These morons said zero teams were interested lol. They were acting like a jilted lover.

Chi mad the whole thing overblown. Perrys people told him to throw out a release and do a quick program for his rep.

11 days ago....

"Listen, they're not doing their jobs if there's no interest"
-Nick Kypreos

Reactions: RegDunlop

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I guess this never happened. :huh:

anaheim-ca-corey-perry-of-the-anaheim-ducks-hoists-the-stanley-cup-after-his-teams-victory-over.jpg
Or.. mentioned previous... Perry has won absolutely everything.. world Juniors Skoda, best on best, Stanley Cup and I think even a memorial championship (beating Crosby and Weber along the way). He's a dick.. but he has won everything at least once.

• Love
Reactions: RegDunlop and zar

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He was paid 2 of his 4 million salary as a signing bonus. So he lost out on 2 million. But he signed a contract with the oilers for 800k, so hes really only out 1.2m in salary.
True. So he still lost out on a million dollars for something that was deemed inappropriate, but not criminal, and he's taken full accountability for his actions. Seems like more than enough punishment.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Good signing. He's what the oilers needed on their bottom 6. Still effective player at his age. Experience will help in the post season. Deepens the lineup without costing any assets

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
11 days ago....

"Listen, they're not doing their jobs if there's no interest"
-Nick Kypreos

I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove? Kypreos thinking they should have interest is not proof they did.

If you know Kypreos he loves to shit on the Leafs and their decisions (certainly not unfounded recently). This is a guy that repeatedly told them they needed to trade Nylander for years. He's not a homer that carries water for them.

I do trust Chris Johnston tho, if he ever said the Leafs had interest than I'd believe that. Don't think he's been that specific though. I would hope there was some other interest from other or the Oilers got completely played giving him any bonuses.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Respected Insider Frank Serravelli:
Multiple teams interested in Perry

Respected insider Elliotte Friedman:

Respected insider Dave Pagnotta:

Respected insider Chris Johnson:

NHL GM Ken Holland who actually negotiated the signing:

NHL coach Knoblauch:

NHL GM Kyle Davidson:
Paid 4M to get Perry to sign on a non-contender, a number that indicates multiple teams were interested in Perry

Biased Leaf’s Nut Hugger Nick Kypreos working at Leaf’s Propaganda Network Sportsnet 10 days before Perry signed:
People aren’t doing their JOBS if there’s no interest in Perry. And Leaf’s should be interested.

Biased Leaf’s Nut Hugger Nick Kypreos working at Leaf’s Propaganda Network Sportsnet after secretly crying in the washroom over Perry signing in Edmonton:
I heard there was no interest in Perry especially from the Leafs.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove? Kypreos thinking they should have interest is not proof they did.

If you know Kypreos he loves to shit on the Leafs and their decisions (certainly not unfounded recently). This is a guy that repeatedly told them they needed to trade Nylander for years. He's not a homer that carries water for them.

Nothing you said had anything for why I posted what I did.

But thank you for your feedback.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDoldrums

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

I do trust Chris Johnston tho, if he ever said the Leafs had interest than I'd believe that. Don't think he's been that specific though. I would hope there was some other interest from other or the Oilers got completely played giving him any bonuses.
Kypreos says anything to stay relevant. Not saying he doesn’t have connections but the guy is a clown with 75% of his comments/conclusions and he sways with the wind. He would make an admirable politician.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

NHL coach Knoblauch:

NHL GM Kyle Davidson:
Paid 4M to get Perry to sign on a non-contender, a number that indicates multiple teams were interested in Perry

Biased Leaf’s Nut Hugger working at Leaf’s Propaganda Network Sportsnet 10 days before Perry signed:
People aren’t doing their JOBS if there’s no interest in Perry. And Leaf’s should be interested.

Biased Leaf’s Nut Hugger working at Leaf’s Propaganda Network Sportsnet after secretly crying in the washroom over Perry signing in Edmonton:

idk what's funnier here, "respected insider Dave Pagnotta" or your description of Kypreos

Kypreos says anything to stay relevant. Not saying he doesn’t have connections but the guy is a clown with 75% of his comments/conclusions and he sways with the wind. He would make an admirable politician.

yeah I can't disagree with that

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

NHL coach Knoblauch:

NHL GM Kyle Davidson:

Biased Leaf’s Nut Hugger working at Leaf’s Propaganda Network Sportsnet 10 days before Perry signed:

Biased Leaf’s Nut Hugger working at Leaf’s Propaganda Network Sportsnet after secretly crying in the washroom over Perry signing in Edmonton:
Guess which opinion the butt hurt people will cling to?

Truth of it is… none of us know shit.

The fact so many insiders said there was interest indicates there was interest. We obviously didn’t ”out bid” any one. He chose Edmonton because he thought he feels they had the best chance of winning of any of the teams that showed interest.

What did Perry do? Obviously bad enough to get a contract terminated and I imagine the league might start being very liberal with these types of decisions considering some of the recent happenings, especially when it comes down to a questionable character action. He will be on a very short leash in Edmonton and if he regresses, the Oilers could just as easily terminate his contract. He has obviously sought help in his personal battle and I’m sure most of us would wish almost any human being the best in such an endeavour. We can’t predict the future… hopefully all goes well but there would obviously be concern. I’m sure Corey Perry also understands that.

The one thing that can’t be questioned is this guy can play hockey and has enjoyed plenty of success, much of it with him as a leader, in his hockey career.

This is a very low risk signing. Anyone making it out to be more than that just has hurt feelings or has never made a mistake in their own life.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
you bolded a part saying "no teams had interest" and posted that as a rebuttal when it has nothing do with it, but okay

K, you are saying the guy is a clown.
I posted something that reiterates that.
And you have an issue with it?
Pick a lane.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Didn't Kypreos break some trade that did not happen involving Montreal once and he was way off , I think he has no respect from agents in the league

Reactions: zar
Aug 3, 2021
ROFL....like Montreal or Dallas had a chance. And in 2022....well...they got beat at their own game...and got capped.

As fun as it always was to use this narrative before, I always knew it was bullshit and had nothing to do with him and am not bothered by it.

That said, if Chicago wins the lottery again, I'm looking at you, Hall!! ;)
I like how you're scoffing at Dallas' SCF appearance when your teams greatest accomplishment in the last 15 years is... getting swept in the conference finals. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Bounces R Way

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Lol. Okay Sheeple, let me explain how it works.

When Nick senses the Toronto fanbase is angry about Leafs he joins in to get clicks. We all know the seething toxicity of the Toronto market and he goes along with it for the clicks. This doesn’t disprove he’s a Leafs nut hugger, it supports it.

When he criticizes the core 4, he’s trying to negotiate for the leafs and drive down any extension cap hits. Same shit TSN does.

Dude has “Real” Kyper in the name of his podcast nowadays just to fool you guys into thinking he’s straight up and honest.

His co-hosts are all biased Leafs homers by their own admission, just to cater to and propagandize for the Leafs market.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDoldrums

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I like how you're scoffing at Dallas' SCF appearance when your teams greatest accomplishment in the last 15 years is... getting swept in the conference finals. :biglaugh:

We were outmatched. I don't deny it nor does my not including that piece of completely irrelevant suggest that.
Nor does it change the fact Dallas was outmatched. Nor does that equate to me scoffing them as much as it had to do with dismissing the notion of any relevance to Perry being on 3 consecutive Cup losing teams.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Perry is the winning ticket for any team wanting to make the cup final. The only bad thing? His team lost on the last 3 teams he was on in the cup final.

I still take him as a good luck charm. Dallas was a surprise, Mtl had no business in the finals, and Tampa was going for a threepeat

cobra427

May 6, 2012
take the hate blinders off for a sec and take a look at the whole picture....there ya go. Someone seems triggered that the oilers got better. Flames fan?
No hate at all for Oilers or Perry, i think it makes them better. This is just another example of personal conduct not mattering as much as winning. Even if we knew exactly what Perry did, what difference would it make? We could all judge him or forgive him for whatever actions he took. The Hawks canceling his contract and Perry entering rehab is enough. Magically that doesn't matter when a cup chase is involved a month later.

In 2010 Q looked the other way, didn't want it to be a distraction, it worked, they won the cup. Perry could help the Oilers get there too. What if he acts up as an Oiler? Somewhere along the line, GMs need to draw the line on character.

Reactions: Szechwan

snag

Feb 22, 2014
No hate at all for Oilers or Perry, i think it makes them better. This is just another example of personal conduct not mattering as much as winning. Even if we knew exactly what Perry did, what difference would it make? We could all judge him or forgive him for whatever actions he took. The Hawks canceling his contract and Perry entering rehab is enough. Magically that doesn't matter when a cup chase is involved a month later.

In 2010 Q looked the other way, didn't want it to be a distraction, it worked, they won the cup. Perry could help the Oilers get there too. What if he acts up as an Oiler? Somewhere along the line, GMs need to draw the line on character.

Personal conduct. K...the league didn't deem it that damning. And they are the ones with something to lose.

If I get drunk and tell my boss "f*** you, you f***ing Pejorative Slur" guess what....I am fired/contract terminated....should that preclude me from further employment anywhere?

We don't know what he did (sounds like Holland does) exactly and I am not sure why people seem to concern themselves with it so much despite the league saying it ain't egregious enough to sanction him and those involved merely not wanting to talk about it.

And yes....I have previously made jokes about it and criticized him...Kane and Kassian. Hell.....Kassian we had a real reason to hate. But redemption story arcs are pretty cool too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad