Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Corey Perry signs with the Oilers (1 year, $775k + performance bonuses)

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Actually I didn’t see what you had bolded in my post. I thought you were finding a way to still blame Perry based on a ridiculous hypothetical.

But to the point you were actually making, do you think it’s fair that he takes the brunt of the Hawks own dirty history and mishandling? Is it his fault that the Hawks had to overreact and cancel him in order to protect their already bad reputation? A reputation that was their OWN doing?

As John Short said himself, if this happened at another organization this is likely handled differently. So why should there be sympathy and understanding for an organization who made their own mess with the Beach situation? Why should we care if the pitchforks will be out for them again? It’s their own fault.

You realize this is exactly what the Hawks tried to do. To cancel him. To make it so he could not get a 2nd chance by keeping an air of mystery to how serious this incident was. If this was anyone besides Perry with his playoff reputation and they were 35+ there would be no second chance. Their hockey playing legacy ruined. And why? Not cause of what Perry did, but how the Hawks PR needed to respond to what Perry did because they bungled the Beach situation.
I like Perry, both as a person and as a player. I've read enough about him from former teammates to satisfy my personal opinion that he is not only a solid dude, but that this was a one-off mistake. I feel for the man, and his family, that he had this human mistake put a pock mark on his record and I absolutely sympathize with the point being made here about if it was some 4th line grinder just trying to make a career playing hockey and how that would completely torpedo them. I hear the argument that's being made, and I get it. The point that I'm making is: what were the Blackhawks, as a business organization, supposed to do differently? Specifically, what actions do everyone making the aforementioned argument (that I sympathize with) should they have made that wouldve been appropriate to both the player, as well as the organization to show they've learned from their horrifying past mistakes? Was Perry a fall guy? Yes, absolutely, 100%, and if it was any lesser known player it would been adios to NHL hockey. But he tied the organization's hands in such a way that I feel like this was a zero sum lose-lose. So I'm looking for you, or any other user to actually post some constructive criticism on the matter, instead of "Hawks bad lol"

Reactions: bucks_oil

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If you change the link name from X to Twitter, it will put the proper link in your post - just a helpful tip someone shared with me.

So what Perry did was be in a bar and hit on some NBC employee? Okay, that stuff tends to happen at bars. If the NBC employee said something like "no thanks" and Perry didn't pursue further(which would have been sexual harrassment), I don't really see what the big deal is.
Well...IF it was Chelios's daughter too as reported at some point. He might have made a stink too.

• Love
Reactions: Deadly Dogma

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Wow. Finally it’s been revealed. So essentially it was more a Chicago issue than a Perry issue. I won’t call it a nothing burger but it’s very close to.

This matches the NHLPA and NHL’s reaction which essentially boiled down to: MEH.

I would say the real scandal here is that due to Chicago having a dirty history, they were allowed to just cancel a 4M contact out of thin air? No wonder the NHLPA wants to appeal.

Honestly I feel bad for Perry here. The “crime” does not fit the punishment.

Imagine if this wasn’t Perry and it was just some random average to below average 4th liner with no reputation to rely on. That player would have lost his contract and been out of the league, with no one willing to sign him, no one willing to give him a 2nd chance. This situation was one borne out of the Hawks incompetence in handling the Beach incident.

Also, for shame on Leafs homer Nick Kypreos who tried to pass judgement on Holland and the entirety of Edmonton media for not digging into this more, even though Holland literally talked to everyone and anyone that actually knew what happened of which there wasn’t much. Only Kyle Davidson, Perry, Bettman, Daley, a couple of NBC employees knew about what happened, and Kypreos threw the entire Edmonton media and by proxy its fans under the bus. f*** Kypreos too and f*** the Hawks.
Kypreos was just butthurt, and couldn't bring himself to believe a player would choose Edmonton over TO.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I like Perry, both as a person and as a player. I've read enough about him from former teammates to satisfy my personal opinion that he is not only a solid dude, but that this was a one-off mistake. I feel for the man, and his family, that he had this human mistake put a pock mark on his record and I absolutely sympathize with the point being made here about if it was some 4th line grinder just trying to make a career playing hockey and how that would completely torpedo them. I hear the argument that's being made, and I get it. The point that I'm making is: what were the Blackhawks, as a business organization, supposed to do differently? Specifically, what actions do everyone making the aforementioned argument (that I sympathize with) should they have made that wouldve been appropriate to both the player, as well as the organization to show they've learned from their horrifying past mistakes? Was Perry a fall guy? Yes, absolutely, 100%, and if it was any lesser known player it would been adios to NHL hockey. But he tied the organization's hands in such a way that I feel like this was a zero sum lose-lose. So I'm looking for you, or any other user to actually post some constructive criticism on the matter, instead of "Hawks bad lol"

I see why the Hawks would do what they did. But they still could have handled this differently. They could have put Perry in players assistance, and then took the PR hit in releasing the information properly so the hockey world could judge for themselves how serious it was. This would have given Perry a fair judgement and a fair shot at getting back into the League. Would it have hurt the Hawks on the PR front, sure, but that’s the price they pay for their OWN mistake in handling the Beach incident.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Its tough to imagine a random 4th liner having the audacity to do that. Being a bigger name with a bigger ego emboldens you to act out.

You can’t imagine a random 4th line with alcoholism? Diseases don’t discriminate based on Lines.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
You can’t imagine a random 4th line with alcoholism? Diseases don’t discriminate based on Lines.

if his alcoholism is serious enough to make him a completely different person than this break he's had from hockey is wholly insufficient and he shouldn't be playing this year. Much more likely, he still has the superstar ego because he's Corey f***ing Perry and believes that he can get away with anything, including harassing a broadcaster who is supposed to objectively cover him. And no, I don't believe a random scrub would ever have the courage to do that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
if his alcoholism is serious enough to make him a completely different person than this break he's had from hockey is wholly insufficient and he shouldn't be playing this year. Much more likely, he still has the superstar ego because he's Corey f***ing Perry and believes that he can get away with anything, including harassing a broadcaster who is supposed to objectively cover him. And no, I don't believe a random scrub would ever have the courage to do that.

So you’re an expert on Perry’s alcoholism and his required time frame of recovery now?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So you’re an expert on Perry’s alcoholism and his required time frame of recovery now?

I know that alcohol doesn't make you an entirely different person. It doesn't change a meek kind hearted guy into a villain. It just makes you more of what you already are, exacarbated. I'm Irish half my family are drunks.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
It's obvious the Hawks have a high standard for player and employee conduct after the Beach scandal. And have zero tolerance for any transgressions, thus Perry's contract was terminated. This is not a difficult concept to understand.

Other organizations have their own standards and codes of conduct on what they deem acceptable of their employees. The Oilers org likely did their due diligence and probably know more than anyone on this dumb board and deemed signing him was worth it.

Also. I might be reading some posters wrong but some seem to think Perry is chasing a Cup. He has a ring from 07 already and a member of the Triple Gold Club. I am sure he would love to cap is career with another Cup win, however.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I know that alcohol doesn't make you an entirely different person. It doesn't change a meek kind hearted guy into a villain. It just makes you more of what you already are, exacarbated. I'm Irish half my family are drunks.

And I know you are wrong. It’s a case by case basis, you anecdotal experiences with your family notwithstanding. There are plenty of people whose entire personalities change when alcohol is introduced. Not saying this is Perry cause it’s obvious outside of alcoholism he has an edge to his personality, but regardless alcoholism is a personal battle and only the person dealing with it truly knows what’s going on.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Its tough to imagine a random 4th liner having the audacity to do that. Being a bigger name with a bigger ego emboldens you to act out.
It's not really that tough to imagine. We are likely about to have front page news on five people getting charged for a 2018 sexual assault investigation, which happened when they were on/over the cusp of legally being considered adults. These guys get everything they want from the moment their recognized as special enough to have a shot at the NHL.

A random 4th liner is still multiple tiers above average as a hockey player and has a comparatively large ego. Look no further than plugs like Brendan Leipsic and the drivel he was spouting about teammates and opponents family members. People don't need to be generational talents to act like entitled pieces of trash.

Reactions: RegDunlop

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Thoughtful post... like you, I sorta understand why Chicago reacted the way they did... but

I see why the Hawks would do what they did. But they still could have handled this differently. They could have put Perry in players assistance, and then took the PR hit in releasing the information properly so the hockey world could judge for themselves how serious it was. This would have given Perry a fair judgement and a fair shot at getting back into the League. Would it have hurt the Hawks on the PR front, sure, but that’s the price they pay for their OWN mistake in handling the Beach incident.

Agree somewhat with this, at least in the sense that there were other ways to have handled this. If it were me at the Chicago helm, I would have:
1) Suspend Perry indefinitely and put him into a program
2) Been more transparent that he'd behaved inappropriately at a social event, in a way that was not illegal and no charges had been pressed, but still was sufficient enough to warrant a team response,
3) Be humble enough to say... we are holding ourselves to a higher standard, because holding ourselves to a higher standard is the only way for us to effect true culture change and protect future victims in the future, those who otherwise may not feel they have a voice... or you know, some words to that effect, and
4) Give Perry the option to adhere to the punishment or mutually terminate the contract if he doesn't agree to #1 and #2. (which honestly may have been exactly what happened)

It's obvious the Hawks have a high standard for player and employee conduct after the Beach scandal. And have zero tolerance for any transgressions, thus Perry's contract was terminated. This is not a difficult concept to understand.

Other organizations have their own standards and codes of conduct on what they deem acceptable of their employees. The Oilers org likely did their due diligence and probably know more than anyone on this dumb board and deemed signing him was worth it.

Also. I might be reading some posters wrong but some seem to think Perry is chasing a Cup. He has a ring from 07 already and a member of the Triple Gold Club. I am sure he would love to cap is career with another Cup win, however.

This post wins the thread... and people should read it.

Reactions: TheOne

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Perry jumping onto the Oilers ship is a good sign that things are going well and they are going places. Sort of like Joe Thornton when he went to Florida. Player may or may not be useful in the end but it’s a positive referendum on where you’re headed.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The Hawks weren't chasing a cup, even with the Beach incident, if they were, they would have handled this differently. The Oilers are chasing a cup, so they sign Perry. This just furthers the view of most people that athletes get a pass when they behave inappropriately. All the talk about team culture, representing the city/organization get trumped by the opportunity to win.

You don't go to rehab and get fixed in 30 days then thrown back into the same environment, this has been shown not to work in that time frame and the same environment. Does Perry really have a problem or was the rehab thing just a ruiz and maybe his actions were one off? If its one off, rehab isn't the solution, if its not one off, 30 days isn't historically enough time to cure the problem.

I am all for another chance, with Perry's career he deserves that. The optics are pretty bad for the average person looking at this from 30,000 feet, pro athletes get treated differently. Teams are about how to win, it trumps culture, doing the right thing, etc....

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The Hawks weren't chasing a cup, even with the Beach incident, if they were, they would have handled this differently. The Oilers are chasing a cup, so they sign Perry. This just furthers the view of most people that athletes get a pass when they behave inappropriately. All the talk about team culture, representing the city/organization get trumped by the opportunity to win.

You don't go to rehab and get fixed in 30 days then thrown back into the same environment, this has been shown not to work in that time frame and the same environment. Does Perry really have a problem or was the rehab thing just a ruiz and maybe his actions were one off? If its one off, rehab isn't the solution, if its not one off, 30 days isn't historically enough time to cure the problem.

I am all for another chance, with Perry's career he deserves that. The optics are pretty bad for the average person looking at this from 30,000 feet, pro athletes get treated differently. Teams are about how to win, it trumps culture, doing the right thing, etc....

Still at it today huh?

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Perry was on the losing side of the Stanley Cup three times in the last 4 seasons, with Dallas, Habs and Bolts....
Makes it even better for Perry - lots of guys never even get to compete for the Cup. He's been to the Cup Final 4x more often than McDavid or Matthews.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Like Evander Kane, he did something serious enough to allow a former team to buy out his contract. Then signed for the Oakland Raiders of the NHL. And thats being unfair to the Raiders. The Raiders are classy in comparison

You mean that super serious crime Kane made that an arbitrator reviewed and told the Sharks to shove it and pay him his contract? That dastardly deed?

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
As long as the performance bonuses aren't "games played", this should be fine. I don't mind performance bonuses where the player has to earn his salary.
What if the sole purpose of the bonus structure is to allow the team cap flexibility? I.e. that it is only nominally a “performance” bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad