Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Corey Perry signs with the Oilers (1 year, $775k + performance bonuses)

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No hate at all for Oilers or Perry, i think it makes them better. This is just another example of personal conduct not mattering as much as winning. Even if we knew exactly what Perry did, what difference would it make? We could all judge him or forgive him for whatever actions he took. The Hawks canceling his contract and Perry entering rehab is enough. Magically that doesn't matter when a cup chase is involved a month later.

In 2010 Q looked the other way, didn't want it to be a distraction, it worked, they won the cup. Perry could help the Oilers get there too. What if he acts up as an Oiler? Somewhere along the line, GMs need to draw the line on character.
Your making a lot of assumptions though.

Reactions: TFHockey

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
FB_IMG_1706038995049.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Szechwan
Aug 3, 2021
We were outmatched. I don't deny it nor does my not including that piece of completely irrelevant suggest that.
Nor does it change the fact Dallas was outmatched. Nor does that equate to me scoffing them as much as it had to do with dismissing the notion of any relevance to Perry being on 3 consecutive Cup losing teams.
You brought up Dallas, not me. I can appreciate that admission but Dallas deserved to be in the final and they were 2 wins away from the cup that year and I think that's impressive.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
You brought up Dallas, not me. I can appreciate that admission but Dallas deserved to be in the final and they were 2 wins away from the cup that year and I think that's impressive.

Actually....I technically wasn't the one who brought up Dallas ;)

Anyway, both teams deserved to be where they were. And when they met their opponent, they were outmatched. Dallas was also only 2 games away because of Corey Perry. He prevented the gentleman's sweep.

So again....as I was saying about Perry in rebuttal to someone else mentioning being on 3 consecutive SCF losers....

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Sounds like whatever he did wasn't illegal so that's a plus. I'm guessing Corey probably showed up to the event wasted and said some stupid stuff that bothered the team. The Oilers didn't seem concerned about it and I'm not either.

Even if Perry is a jerk, so what? Jerks can also be good athletes that help win you championships. Ask Chris Pronger. Perry has been to the finals 4 freaking times and yes... he did win a cup which a bunch of posters on here convieniently forgot about.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I'm sure many other teams wanted him, but the Oilers paid a massive premium to sign him:)

Drinking at a team function with sponsors isn't enough to void a contract, but ok then:)
Maybe he said the “F” word really loud. The point is, you don’t know what he did.

For someone talking a lot about personal conduct; trying to crucify someone or a team without cause or evidence says more about you than it does about them.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Maybe he said the “F” word really loud. The point is, you don’t know what he did.

For someone talking a lot about personal conduct; trying to crucify someone or a team without cause or evidence says more about you than it does about them.
The only thing we know if the Hawks canceled his contract, that is a very high bar, not easy to do for any business including an NHL team. What you and others are saying is that if we don't know what he did and the NHL didn't suspend him, then it must not be that big of a deal. Maybe they couldn't or didn't suspend him because he went to rehab and that would have covered any suspension.

The Hawks had cause and evidence to do this, I know how contract law works. Substance abuse if there was any, doesn't get fixed in 30 days either, the last thing for that person to stay clean is to be back in the same environment 6 weeks later.

Sure, a lot we don't know other than the Hawks canceled his contract, he went to rehab, and the Oilers GM wants to win a cup this year.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The only thing we know if the Hawks canceled his contract, that is a very high bar, not easy to do for any business including an NHL team. What you and others are saying is that if we don't know what he did and the NHL didn't suspend him, then it must not be that big of a deal. Maybe they couldn't or didn't suspend him because he went to rehab and that would have covered any suspension.

The Hawks had cause and evidence to do this, I know how contract law works. Substance abuse if there was any, doesn't get fixed in 30 days either, the last thing for that person to stay clean is to be back in the same environment 6 weeks later.

Sure, a lot we don't know other than the Hawks canceled his contract, he went to rehab, and the Oilers GM wants to win a cup this year.

Eh, just because they cancelled the contract doesn't mean they had the right to.

The sharks cancelled Kane's contract - on appeal they weren't allowed to, and are thus still paying him as we speak.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

We know a little bit more than that. As reported by Friedman, we also know the NHLPA does not like the precedent set by this contract cancellation and does not think whatever Perry did warranted contract cancellation. They want to appeal the decision and have until July 29 to do it. However, Perry may not want them to do it or doesn’t care. So that’s the NHLPA and NHL that doesn’t think whatever Perry did warranted kicking him out the League or team.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The NLHPA and Perry for that matter haven't said one thing about his contract being canceled. Do you have any idea how hard that is to do in this day and age without repercussions? Maybe what he did is bad enough that Perry doesn't want it disclosed. This is far from normal, guess he must be a saint:) That doesn't matter to the Oilers, they better get to the WCF this year, all else gets swept under the rug or downplayed.
So in a few different roundabout ways, you've told everyone you have no idea what happened.

Keep chirping the organization though, and keep trying to equate the Hawks sexual assault case and Perry having an alcohol problem as even in the same universe though. Cause that's not ridiculous at all.

Reactions: myleafs

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We know a little bit more than that. As reported by Friedman, we also know the NHLPA does not like the precedent set by this contract cancellation and does not think whatever Perry did warranted contract cancellation. They want to appeal the decision and have until July 29 to do it. However, Perry may not want them to do it or doesn’t care. So that’s the NHLPA and NHL that doesn’t think whatever Perry did warranted kicking him out the League or team.
The NHLPA is of course going to try and defend a member and protect their rights, that is there job. Its a high bar to be banned from the NHL by the NHL. None of this rationalizes his (unknown) actions. I would think he did something pretty bad for the Hawks to terminate his contract rightly or wrongly). Maybe in the Hawks situation, they drew a line because of the 2010 incident, and since they suck, no harm to them as to making the playoffs or a cup run.

The Oilers, they are going for a cup, forget character, rehab magically in 30 days, or drawing a line, lets get a cup. I just think it sends the wrong message: If you are a very good hockey player, we will look the other way. I don't like it and I'm not against Perry or the Oilers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The NHLPA is of course going to try and defend a member and protect their rights, that is there job. Its a high bar to be banned from the NHL by the NHL. None of this rationalizes his (unknown) actions. I would think he did something pretty bad for the Hawks to terminate his contract rightly or wrongly). Maybe in the Hawks situation, they drew a line because of the 2010 incident, and since they suck, no harm to them as to making the playoffs or a cup run.

The Oilers, they are going for a cup, forget character, rehab magically in 30 days, or drawing a line, lets get a cup. I just think it sends the wrong message: If you are a very good hockey player, we will look the other way. I don't like it and I'm not against Perry or the Oilers.

We also know this wasn’t a criminal issue as nothing about legal remifications have emerged. It’s likely a workplace issue of which the severity is still unknown to the public. And there could be plenty of reasons why that information is unknown, protecting identities of non-public parties and/or Chicago PR reasons are the most likely reasons. We also know that Perry has apologized for his actions and sought help to better himself as the result of whatever he did.

The Oilers aren’t “looking the other way”. In fact they looked directly at it and asked ALL the few people that are privy to what happened, exactly what happened. Could it be that with their full information they are treating it with the appropriate response? And you, with zero information and not even informing yourself of publically available information is just looking for a reason to shit on the Oilers and Perry?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jesus til July 29th? Why so late? So that there is something NHL related to talk about after free agency has cooled down?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jesus til July 29th? Why so late? So that there is something NHL related to talk about after free agency has cooled down?

I don’t know why that is. That’s just the date Friedman said. But Kanes arbtitrator took his sweet ass time too. Seemingly, waiting until we signed him until the arbitrator was allowed to come out of hiding.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don’t know why that is. That’s just the date Friedman said. But Kanes arbtitrator took his sweet ass time too. Seemingly, waiting until we signed him until the arbitrator was allowed to come out of hiding.
Kane's was a debacle because the guy was on holidays or something stupid.

You'd think they'd at least start the process knowing that it could take a long time to get done.

Although in this case I don't know that the player is fighting it all that hard or even at all, so maybe there is no rush.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Sounds like whatever he did wasn't illegal so that's a plus. I'm guessing Corey probably showed up to the event wasted and said some stupid stuff that bothered the team. The Oilers didn't seem concerned about it and I'm not either.

Even if Perry is a jerk, so what? Jerks can also be good athletes that help win you championships. Ask Chris Pronger. Perry has been to the finals 4 freaking times and yes... he did win a cup which a bunch of posters on here convieniently forgot about.
You're allowed to hire jerks like Perry, Kane and Kassian, but don't get upset or act surprised when the rest of the league rips on you for it.

Reactions: cobra427

myleafs

May 25, 2021

jeez judge and jury much....

is it maybe a possibility that the he got canned from the Hawks because he got stupid drunk and did some stupid drunk thing while at an event that included sponsors? And given that the Hawks want to wipe out their sordid past and create a new story around the team that maybe they are a little more sensitive to any bad behaviour?

The law wasnt involved, the league did not punish him and to top it off they are ok with him signing with another team. JQ is still on the sidelines from his actions from the past. Comparing whatever he did with the abuse scandal with zero information to back it up is head scratching and irresponsible imo.

Just saying, maybe your not correct in your assessment of the situation. I might not be either....thats the point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad