Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou and Ryan Kuffner for Sam Gagner(10% retained), 2020 2nd and 2021 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Everyone and their dog wanted AA for some reason. He’s been bad all season long. Not sure what anyone was thinking.

Reactions: OilerTitanFan

space321

May 11, 2011
Everyone and their dog wanted AA for some reason. He’s been bad all season long. Not sure what anyone was thinking.

People were all over AA and penciling him into McDavid's wing because "speeeeeeeed". Holland bought into the hype too. I've said since day 1 that two 2nds is a huge overpay for this guy.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
AA has 1 "official" giveaway in 7 games with the Oilers so far at 5v5.

His giveaway rate is .72/60 at 5v5

The only guy lower on the Oilers this season is Colby Cave with .63/60 at 5v5

I think people really see what they want to with some players and it's no different with AA.
BTW stat sheet tonight shows him having zero giveaways, but I seen one clear as day mid-way through the 3rd period in the neutral zone.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
A pretty meh game today, although he did have one nice play where he kept the puck in the zone, deked around a Vegas player, went behind the net, and passed it out in front to Sheahan/Archibald. I hope he can improve his confidence level and continue with rushes like that.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Tippett isn't blinking. He made a couple brutal plays, but he was right back out there late in the third of a tie game.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Are you talking about Athanasiou? What in the actual **** are you talking about. He's struggled in his time so far, however he's better NHL player then Puljujarvi has ever been.
I'm talking about AA gifting the puck to Vegas tonight for their tying goal. That's what I'm talking about. I've never seen JP gift wrap the puck to the opposition the way AA did.

Two 2nd rounders for this bum that might get 3mill after this season, sit back and think about it for a minute.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm talking about AA gifting the puck to Vegas tonight for their tying goal. That's what I'm talking about. I've never seen JP gift wrap the puck to the opposition the way AA did.

Two 2nd rounders for this bum that might get 3mill after this season, sit back and think about it for a minute.
Yeah he sure gifted that puck to Vegas by passing it to Klefbom...you mad that the game went to overtime after your Flames couldn’t get a point last night?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Well, quite frankly, the whole team is playing like shit. Hard to believe they went 4-1-1 in the last six. Except for the Nashville game, has been outplayed in every single one.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
BTW stat sheet tonight shows him having zero giveaways, but I seen one clear as day mid-way through the 3rd period in the neutral zone.

This so many times.

Also the GA which I wouldn't call a giveaway but he handed the puck to Klef who was immediately pressured. AA was not pressured on the play. I think a guy like Archie handles that play differently knowing he has time.

In anycase AA not showing much, again not being strong on puck, now showing speed, not even a factor in our puck support or breakout game. He's not even looking comfortable with the puck.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Not everyone, if you recall. I sure in hell didn't want any part of AA.

This is what we got. Pretty nothing player.

Its strange. People look at his bad stats in Detroit and say "well thats due to playing on that team"

But conversely people look at his goals last season with realizing that was also artifice of playing n a very bad team.

2 of AA's goals last season were penalty shots, another was an empty netter. But heres the kicker. Another dozen were wide open breakaways. Teams leaving him uncovered because Detroit is a useless club and they don't take them seriously.

you arent't going to score a dozen breakaway goals on a competitive squad in a closer checking conference. Teams in the WC are not going to just give you those goals. The vast majority of AA goals are complete opponent non compete goals.

AA doesn't look to be able to create much of anything in traffic, or facing close checking.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Not everyone, if you recall. I sure in hell didn't want any part of AA.

This is what we got. Pretty nothing player.

Its strange. People look at his bad stats in Detroit and say "well thats due to playing on that team"

But conversely people look at his goals last season with realizing that was also artifice of playing n a very bad team.

2 of AA's goals last season were penalty shots, another was an empty netter. But heres the kicker. Another dozen were wide open breakaways. Teams leaving him uncovered because Detroit is a useless club and they don't take them seriously.

you arent't going to score a dozen breakaway goals on a competitive squad in a closer checking conference. Teams in the WC are not going to just give you those goals. The vast majority of AA goals are complete opponent non compete goals.

AA doesn't look to be able to create much of anything in traffic, or facing close checking.
Thanks for confirming this to the naysayers. Like I said, wasted two 2nd rounders. Sam Gagner does more than this hasbeen.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah he sure gifted that puck to Vegas by passing it to Klefbom...you mad that the game went to overtime after your Flames couldn’t get a point last night?
A good pass isn't a little fluff over to a guy who's clearly engaged with an opposing checker. AA was the only Edmonton Oiler with clear possession in the half dozen seconds before the puck is in our net.

Like I said before, it's no shock to me personally this kid's got rocks for brains. It's on Tipp that he's out there on a DZ draw up a goal in the final minutes of a divisional game. Don't be surprised to see his already diminishing ice time drop as the games get more important.

Boggles my mind people are going to bat for him on that play.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
A good pass isn't a little fluff over to a guy who's clearly engaged with an opposing checker. AA was the only Edmonton Oiler with clear possession in the half dozen seconds before the puck is in our net.

Like I said before, it's no shock to me personally this kid's got rocks for brains. It's on Tipp that he's out there on a DZ draw up a goal in the final minutes of a divisional game. Don't be surprised to see his already diminishing ice time drop as the games get more important.

Boggles my mind people are going to bat for him on that play.
Should Larsson and klefboms minutes drop aswell? Klefbom lost an easy puck battle, and larsson decided the front of the net wasn't important to defend.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Should Larsson and klefboms minutes drop aswell? Klefbom lost an easy puck battle, and larsson decided the front of the net wasn't important to defend.
No, because they've done the defensive heavy lifting throughout the entire season. You're comparing them to a lackadaisical scoring winger that doesn't score much.

Tough to blame two guys who barely had a second to react to a play either one was surprised to see from the kid.

Whatever though. No sense arguing with people who have no interest in looking at things as they occurred.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No, because they've done the defensive heavy lifting throughout the entire season. You're comparing them to a lackadaisical scoring winger that doesn't score much.

Tough to blame two guys who barely had a second to react to a play either one was surprised to see from the kid.

Whatever though. No sense arguing with people who have no interest in looking at things as they occurred.
Looking at things that occured?

Like AA putting the pass right on klefbom's stick?

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Rather have Benson up with Archie and Sheahan. AA in the pressbox.

He reminds me of Yak and Pulj. Fast but clueless.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Looking at things that occured?

Like AA putting the pass right on klefbom's stick?
It was right on his stick and it wasn't the hand grenade it was described to be in the GDT, but the correct play is not passing directly to the D there, you are supposed to lead the pass a little further back for the D to skate into it so he can get separation from the forechecker, half of hockey is just making plays that afford your teammates that extra half second so they can make a more optimal or safer play.

It's not a play that I'd rake AA over the coals for, but it is a play that smarter or more veteran players would do consistently, this is the little thing that coaches preach when they talk about attention to detail. I'm also not saying Klef and Larsson couldn't of played that better, but they were caught off guard from a sub-optimal pass that led to a quick turnover.

On the topic of AA I feel like I'm seeing some small improvements like Tippett is getting through to him, effort is improving slightly, defense is improving a bit, and he even showed one flash of the offense that made him a desirable acquisition in the first place. For the record I was for acquiring AA (at a reasonable price), but predicted he'd make us worse on the short term, figured Tippett would need camp and a couple months to mold him, there is a player in there worth rehabilitating.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Lowest TOI in the game and he managed to get 3 shots on net.... which is 3 more than Drai and Yamamoto together mustered all game. :) Yes I know Yamamoto got an assist and I'm being a little facetious because I knew the same old shit throwing crew would be in here throwing shit on AA yet again... like clockwork.

He's a cherry picker who hangs around looking for opportunities and he's getting some chances in his limited time but yes not enough and he's not scoring enough... like much of the rest of the team that's playing like shit recently.

He's a -1 now as well so I'm sure the bucket o' shit brigade will start spewing the "see we told ya he was a crappy defensive player" mantra constantly as well.

His offensive zone start % is basically Sheahan level (Khaira is actually higher on the season)... and I get it... the coach doesn't trust him with his overall game and wants to teach him to be a better 2 way player... but keep in mind you have a player here that's cheated for offense his entire NHL career and that's in his DNA now and you are basically sticking him into a role that's closer to Belanger/Boyd Gordon type of offensive opportunities and saying to him... score some f***ing goals will ya. Well... he might have some trouble doing so with his usage/TOI/linemates and I don't see many others on the team lighting it up lately either and some of those are getting a HELL of a lot more offensive zone time, better linemates and double the TOI as well.

Again to repeat...

at 5v5...

shots/60... best on the team
expected goals/60... 2nd best on the team behind McDavid
individual corsi/60... best on the team
individual scoring chances/60... best on the team
individual high danger chances/60... best of anyone currently playing on the team.

As for giveaways... his giveaway rate/60 is still the lowest on the team but I'm sure all the eagle eyes watching for him to f*** up saw him make several (or think they did)... but did they also see any other Oilers make some as well... because they did and the stats obviously aren't perfect for ALL players not just AA... right or not?

Ya all those above stats are subjective... but they are subjective for all players so prone to the same error rates for everyone not just AA.

I'm waiting just like everyone else for this f***er to score a goal so I can rub yer noses in it... and say look... the f***er isn't useless. :)

If he's a dud... well it's 2 wasted 2nds and that's sad... maybe not quite as sad as the Reinhart debacle or Yak and JP turning into f*** all... but still sad on a team that could use a guy like AA for much needed secondary scoring. I assume that's what Holland was thinking as well unless he's just an asshole who likes to piss off his coach, the entire fanbase and all his teammates (maybe Holland and Chia are 4th cousins).

I'll continue to wait and see what this negative loser/scoring demon/neutral ball of nothing (whatever he ends up being) does for this team and yes I guess it's going to take more than 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 games to find out.

I'll be here waiting for him to score and finally cash in on the chances/shots he's getting in his limited TOI with his inferior linemates in his limited offensive opportunities on his team that seems to be shitting the bed recently.

I'm sure I'll be kept company here in the thread by the same ole brigade of shit tossers that are just waiting to be proven right and who are hopeful he shits the bed because they never liked him anyway and were ready to send him out of town before he even set foot on the plane to bring him here.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Lowest TOI in the game and he managed to get 3 shots on net.... which is 3 more than Drai and Yamamoto together mustered all game. :) Yes I know Yamamoto got an assist and I'm being a little facetious because I knew the same old shit throwing crew would be in here throwing shit on AA yet again... like clockwork.

He's a cherry picker who hangs around looking for opportunities and he's getting some chances in his limited time but yes not enough and he's not scoring enough... like much of the rest of the team that's playing like shit recently.

He's a -1 now as well so I'm sure the bucket o' shit brigade will start spewing the "see we told ya he was a crappy defensive player" mantra constantly as well.

His offensive zone start % is basically Sheahan level (Khaira is actually higher on the season)... and I get it... the coach doesn't trust him with his overall game and wants to teach him to a be a better 2 way player... but keep in mind you have a player here that's cheated for offense his entire NHL career and that's in his DNA now and you are basically sticking him into a role that's closer to Belanger/Boyd Gordon type of offensive opportunities and saying to him... score some f***ing goals will ya. Well... he might have some trouble doing so with his usage/TOI/linemates and I don't see many others on the team lighting it up lately either and some of those are getting a HELL of a lot more offensive zone time, better linemates and double the TOI as well.

Again to repeat...

at 5v5...

shots/60... best on the team
expected goals/60... 2nd best on the team behind McDavid
individual corsi/60... best on the team
individual scoring chances/60... best on the team
individual high danger chances/60... best of anyone currently playing on the team.

As for giveaways... his giveaway rate/60 is still the lowest on the team but I'm sure all the eagle eyes watching for him to f*** up saw him make several (or think they did)... but did they also see any other Oilers make some as well... because they did and the stats obviously aren't perfect for ALL players not just AA... right or not?

Ya all those above stats are subjective... but they are subjective for all players so prone to the same error rates for everyone not just AA.

I'm waiting just like everyone else for this f***er to score a goal so I can rub yer noses in it... and say look... the f***er isn't useless. :)

If he's a dud... well it's 2 wasted 2nds and that's sad... maybe not quite as sad as the Reinhart debacle or Yak and JP turning into f*** all... but still sad on a team that could use a guy like AA for much needed secondary scoring. I assume that's what Holland was thinking as well unless he's just an asshole who likes to piss off his coach, the entire fanbase and all his teammates (maybe Holland and Chia are 4th cousins).

I'll continue to wait and see what this negative loser/scoring demon/neutral ball of nothing (whatever he ends up being) does for this team and yes I guess it's going to take more than 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 games to find out.

I'll be here waiting for him to score and finally cash in on the chances/shots he getting in his limited TOI with his inferior linemates in his limited offensive opportunities on his team that seems to be shitting the bed recently.

I'm sure I'll be kept company here in the thread by the same ole brigade of shit tossers that are just waiting to be proven right and who are hopeful he shits the bed because they never liked him anyway and were ready to send him out of town before he even set foot on the plane to bring him here.

:clap:

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I am, thinking about this, and I still can't figure why someone would actively hate watch this team when they are clearly good and playing good, meaningful games.

You've Never seen Puljujarvi make a major give away? Well first, that's just a f*cking lie and second, he's not in the NHL so he's safe from these difficult situations.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm willing to give him some time but if he doesn't work out at least we can trade him to get some of the assets back that we traded for him. I think he'll be much better next season after a full training camp and more time with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad